Page 46 of 174 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Just finished two books together that I thought would play well off each other, and they did.

Amazon.com: Strip City: A Stripper's Farewell Journey Across America: Lily Burana: Books

Amazon.com: Bare : On Women, Dancing, Sex, and Power: Elisabeth Eaves: Books

It was fascinating to read about their educations, travels, and the rest of their professional lives.

The best thing was the way that they discussed sexism, the plight of the sex worker in re: the double standard, sex and appeal and objectification, body image issues, and the volatile combo of sex, money and power. They don't back away from hard issues but they refuse to simplify anything.

The contrast: Burana injected a lot more moralism and questions of religion and ethics than Eaves did, who had more of a distant observer's view akin to an anthopologist, despite being the subject studied.

I'm working on this one about the boy who was circumcised improperly, lost his penis completely, and was raised as a girl - unsuccessfully. He ultimately reclaimed his male identity, thereby defeating John Money's hypothesis that babies are a psychosexual tabula rasa.

Amazon.com: As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl (P.S.): John Colapinto: Books
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I read an article in Rolling Stone back in 1997 about the circumcision gone wrong. He had a twin. I believe he is now dead; suicide. Tragic.

I got all my books unpacked and put away this weekend. I read Nicole Blackman's Blood Sugar again and I'm thumbing through Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty by Roy F. Baumeister

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I read an article in Rolling Stone back in 1997 about the circumcision gone wrong. He had a twin. I believe he is now dead; suicide. Tragic.
    That's it. Same author developed the story into a book.

The twins are both dead. The subject of the book committed suicide.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

It's so fucked up; he was just an experiment to that doctor.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. I can't put it down. I'll probably reread the series since it'll probably be forever before her next one comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Anything interesting that you can remember?
    Oh,yeah! Trouble is, she doesn't name names-not real ones. Someone has a hidden door and big firing range that no one knows about but HIM & the author (who snoops) also cameras hidden everywhere. Sex films. Mean people.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Breaking uni reading up with some light reading, George Carlins "When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops?"

The I.R.A.- A History. By Tim Pat Coogan
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

The Body Snatchers - How the medias shapes women by Cyndi Tebbel.

Great read if you're interested in learning about female disempowerment through eating disorders and the pressure of the media; advertising, modeling and the fashion industry.

Cyndi's humor and her point of view gave the book a whole new dimension.
    ssabmud

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Oh,yeah! Trouble is, she doesn't name names-not real ones. Someone has a hidden door and big firing range that no one knows about but HIM & the author (who snoops) also cameras hidden everywhere. Sex films. Mean people.
    Can you figure out who they are in a blind-item way?

The Hundred Secret Senses, by Amy Tan. The Hundred Secret Senses, by Amy Tan. The Hundred Secret Senses, by Amy Tan..............

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

"Dreams of Innocense" by Lisa Appignanesi. After a woman travels in search of her mentor,which takes her to Germany that leads her into another story. Set in the early "1900's" between female impowerment, the war, aristocrats with an erotic turns and twist revolving around great characters. Good book, I recommend.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Inspired to re-read 'How to lose friends and alienate people' after reading that Simon Pegg will be starring in the movie adaption. I have a major, MAJOR thing for the lovely mr. Pegg and can completely see him killing this role. Hilarious book as well and I needed something like this after a heavy bout of English history, culminating in Elizabeth and Leicester, about the relationship between Elizabeth I and Lord Dudley (that was good as well).
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

dans le café de la jeunesse perdue - patrick modiano.
    i don't know if it's been translated into english since it came out in 2007 but i know his other books have been and i can't recommend them enough. he's a brilliant writer.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information