Page 38 of 174 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Silver Member SophieOrangeBerry's Avatar

Tank Girl.

i iz a gEek
    Darling... Stop confusing me with your wishful thinking....
    Bang goes another kanga on the bonnet of the van...
    Too soon to be out of me bed

How are these two so far? I've heard of the first one before, not the second. I was thinking about picking up Lust in Translation a while back.

I just emailed this message to a friend who asked about Lust in Translation:

I am halfway through it. The book is just wonderful. If I could email the entire chapter on the Marriage-Industrial Complex, I would. It so perfectly lays out so much of the economy and belief systems supporting marriage and points to the puritanical aspects of sex in this country. I am so farkin' happy to read it.

The author went around the world getting information, so seeing how we're [the US] so dependent on experts for what is normal and so likely to be "morally" uptight over sex is striking. She makes the parallel of how people who made a sexual mistake (e.g., adultery) have to use the script of the sinner gone awry or the addict who fell off the wagon. Startlingly accurate.
    I'm especially taken by her analysis of the cultural scripts in affairs and in getting caught.

Sounds like I'll have to check it out!

A book by Yoram Yovell, a psychotherapist, about his work. Also "Wasted" by Marya Hornbacher which is very sad, and brutally honest.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Currently reading:

Amazon.com: Lust in Translation: The Rules of Infidelity from Tokyo to Tennessee: Books: Pamela Druckerman

and

Amazon.com: Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty: Books: Nancy Etcoff
    Those sound really good. I may have to pick them up after I finish reading 'On Royalty'...it's very, very good as well as funny.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Amazon.com: On Royalty: A Very Polite Inquiry Into Some Strangely Related Families: Books: Jeremy Paxman

Just got a kick out of the description. On the Amazon wishlist now, which I use as a way to manage what I request from the library. I could very easily go broke on books.

Last night, I finished the chapter in Lust in which the author interviews Edwina Currie, a former health minister who kept a diary during her four-year affair with John Major in the 80s. I think it became A Parliamentary Affair, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    How are these two so far? I've heard of the first one before, not the second. I was thinking about picking up Lust in Translation a while back.
    Fluffy, I blew past your question on Survival of the Prettiest. (I flip back and forth among books over a week while I'm finishing them; otherwise I get bored even when the book is good). When I was skimming it, I came across a quote from Paulina Porizkova that always stayed with me about beauty and geometry, which I mentioned when I was bitching in a thread about why Ivanka Trump's nose is a mathematical goof on her face.

When I first heard about this book, I expected something dense and academic; while it is somewhat academic, it reminds me of those discussions with friends where everyone forgets what time it is. I don't agree with some conclusions from research (Helen Fisher's work is priceless if you're looking to understand the function/importance of certain traits).

This book spoke to me because from the time I was a teenager and getting political in feminism and rights pertaining to gender and sexuality, I never really came across decent discussions of beauty that felt relevant to my life and that didn't accuse me of being brainwashed by the patriarchy and capitalism.

I'm reading Memoirs of a Geisha.

It's brilliant. I highly recommend this one.

Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert. It's absolutely fascinating and quite funny, too.

dandy in the underworld - sebastian horsley. so far it's very funny and witty.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A Question of Blood - Ian Rankin

One of the few detective novel writers I can get behind.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

This week I read Charity Girl by Michael Lowenthal.....It was very good....

I started I Married A Communist by Philip Roth today
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

I started reading The Auschwitz Chronicles again. It's basically a compilation of all the logbooks from Auschwitz, journal entries from SS, and survivor accounts. It spans the entire time that Auschwitz opened until it's liberation. Not for the squeamish, as it has lots of pictures (creamatoriums, mass graves, the medical experiments, etc.).

In the Company of Women: Turning Workplace Conflict into Powerful Alliances

by Patricia Heim, Susan Murphy

I'd have to read this book again to get the full impact. I wasn't interested in the sections on *why* conflict and competition among women have a certain feel to them. I was far more interested in what to do about it. The sections on the types of conflicts and personalities were helpful without being pedantic or Dr. Phil-ish.

Thread Information