Page 32 of 174 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Bronze Member

you mean i'm not the only one who was disappointed by the lovely bones? it received such great reviews, i bought it while it was still in hardcover, and i thought it was horrible. i only read it once, and then i gave it away, i would never *ever* read it again. the thing with how she was molested and murdered...ugh, that *really* bothered me, and the writer is only a mediocre talent at best. Her new book looks like it's going to be another stinker. I'm not one for "happy books"- i love horror novels- John Saul, Stephen King, and the like- but child molestation and murder, and now someone who kills their mother? *shudder*

The last really really excellent book I read was The Ghost Writer by John Harwood. It was gothic and frightening and brilliant.

Does anyone have any other gothic sort of horror ghost stories I can read? Besides the ones we already know (Turn of the Screw and Dorian Gray....I read those already)

Well I can recommend my favorite Edgar Allen Poe piece, its called Annabelle Lee.

Edgar Allan Poe, Love Poems - Yuni Words of Wisdom
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

midnight in the garden of good and evil is also good in that vein, though not a horror story per se.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Well I can recommend my favorite Edgar Allen Poe piece, its called Annabelle Lee.

Edgar Allan Poe, Love Poems - Yuni Words of Wisdom

Oh, yes! But I've read all of Poe, all of Shirley Jackson, all of Henry James....do you know any books recently published in this category? (If you haven't read The Ghost Writer, read it now. It blew me away. It is one of the most extraordinary and creepy and beautifully written books I've ever ever read.)

I am currently reading The Zahir by Paulo Coelho, its not retaining my interest as much as his other novels, but I am continuing nonetheless. He is a brilliant author, perhaps my expectations were much too high with this book. Its one of those I've had for awhile and for whatever reason never got around to reading until now. I hope it picks up a bit, it feels a bit repetitive at this point.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Elite Member

I just finished reading 'Abundance--a novel of Marie Antoinette" by Sena Jeter Naslund. I loved it!!! I actually cried at the end...and we all know how the ending turned out!

Finally finished The Other Boleyn Girl. Completely made up or not, it was an enjoyable book. On to the latest in the Dexter series.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Just finished 'The Mitford Girls' and was quite pissed about the way the author pretty much defended Diana Mitford Mosley and went to town on Decca Mitford. It was pretty obvious the author does not really have major issues with facism.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Reading: Wicked by Gregory Maguire
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk or however the fuck you spell it. I was sitting on a patio at a bar having a beer yesterday afternoon and I just about spewed beer all over myself from laughing. His stuff is disturbingly hilarious.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

REally? Tell me more. I need a good book to read and something funny would be great. Details, please.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Where is your line? What do you consider just horrible and wrong?

Buttmunch, if you can make it all the way through Guts without puking or running for the hills, then you can handle anything by Palahniuk. It's the sickest thing I've ever seen from him. His books are horribly disturbing at times, but can be really funny. I've read a pretty big chunk of his collection (Fight Club is his too), and most of the books are decent. Haven't read Survivor yet though.

OMG, I almost bought Haunted yesterday... Jesus Christ... I cringe a bit.

Thread Information