Page 28 of 174 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

"Flowers in the attic" by Virginia Andrews

Silver Member

"Hannibal" by Thomas Harris

Hit By Ban Bus!

I spent a lot of time reading this summer (when I wasn't busy gardening or getting settled in my new place). I was delighted to get this in my email inbox just now:

Amazon.com: The Splendor of Silence: A Novel: Books: Indu Sundaresan

I plan on buying it soon. I love books by Indu Sundaresan! I've mentioned her before. The Twentieth Wife and its sequel The Feast of Roses. I think she's an amazing writer - the stories are rich in culture and full of intrigue. I'm sure the latest book will be just as good.

As for other books I spent the summer reading things like Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering he Labyrinth as a Spiritual Practice; Change Your Brain, Change Your Life; and Quantum Mind: The Edge Between Physics and Psychology. They were all required reading for classes, but fortunately I'm really interested in the subject matter.

I'm in the middle of two at the moment.

Marley and Me - John Grogan

American Psycho - Brett Ellis (yes, the one the movie was made from)
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

My husband just gave me Change Your Brain, Change Your Life. I'm hoping it works!

Wilt by Tom Sharpe. Re-reading it....

I'm rereading Alice in Wonderland. I just bought the Barnes & Nobles Classics version with both novels in it.

Barnes & Nobles Classics are a great deal, actually. They all include some sort of extra introduction and are pretty reasonably priced at around $6. Also, there's almost always a deal going on if you want to buy a couple. I managed to get five books for just over $25.

I am so behind the times I just started the first Harry Potter book...I have to say, it is well written and very entertaining so far...

Hit By Ban Bus!

I agree. That was a fantastic book, but the books got dense and tedious for me along about the beginning of the 4th book. For that reason, I read the synopses of the remaining books, partly because I wanted finding out the final ending to make sense. I didn't need to do that, it turns out. Still, they're great books. Some people think the entire plot is a metaphor for what's happening in the current U.S. Administration. Not a bad analysis.

As for what I'm currently reading, I think I'll borrow A Wrinkle In Time from my neighbor.
    Last edited by Mira; September 8th, 2007 at 10:41 AM.

i went away for a week to the sea and devoured a bunch of books. finally got round to reading some more philip roth (hope you're proud of me, buttmunch ). read 'portnoy's complaint' and loved it though it is infuriating at times which is the whole point i suppose, still i had to keep another book handy for when it got to be a little too much.
    also read bret easton ellis' 'lunar park' in about a day. bitchy and quite riveting like most of his books, with some horror story thrown in. i could just picture it made into a movie while i was reading.
    'the world according to garp' by john irving. so far very well written and thoroughly entertaining, like everything of his i've read so far.
    started 'the kite runner' to see what all the hype is about.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    'the world according to garp' by john irving. so far very well written and thoroughly entertaining, like everything of his i've read so far.
    I loved that book! They did a decent job with the movie, too. The Hotel New Hampshire I couldn't get into, for some reason.

^^ I loved all Irving books, except for the two oldest ones. My favorite one is Owen Meaning, though. Loved Hotel New Hampshire, too, it's so dark and weird and dark. Did I say weird?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy on the weekend. I liked it, it was very depressing though, if that doesn't bother you go read it.

I'm starting the final Harry Potter book. I'm not much of a fan though, it's more of a nice escape for me like all fantasy books I read, because they are usually so far away from reality.

'Tender is the Night' by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm choosing most of what I read right now by the "What books do you re-read" thread. Anything picked more than once is on my list.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I just finished "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. It was hilarious. I think it definitely is more enjoyable if you are familiar with New Orleans.

Thread Information