Page 23 of 174 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Just finished teh second book by the Devil Wears Prada author--bought it at the airport and wish I hadn't. It was amazingly crappy and I actually threw it away when I finished because it was yet another 'writer' who sucks the intelligence out of you.

more as research than anything i tried to read bergdorf blondes and i couldn't get through the first chapter. gosh who likes that mindless crap? i couldn't believe it was such a big bestseller.

has anyone read the secret? thoughts on it?

Gold Member

Rosamund, it is great to here someone else loves reading M.C. Beaton. I love Agatha Raisin some of the things she says are so funny.

If you haven't already, check out her Hamish Macbeth books. They are equally as good.

One Thursday my mum gave me a thick book, which had Little Women, Good Wives and Little Men in it. So I have been staying up until 2.00am to read them. I finished on Saturday night.

I think I got more out of them as an adult than when I read them as a kid. I am now looking forward to re-reading Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins and A Rose In Bloom.

It is amazing that books written in the 1880's are still relevant in their morals today.

After reading these books, I spent all of Sunday and Monday doing housework instead of being slothful, as Louisa May Alcott made me feel so guilty.

I just started Vanished by Danielle Steel for the 2nd time. It was a movie too, with Lisa Rinna.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Just bought a copy of the novel 'Things my girlfriend and I have argued about'...which is based on the guy's hilarious website (see Random Talk for hte link). So far, so good.
    OMG! I found that site a while ago during one of my crazy random searches!!!!!! If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's hilarious!!!!!

I didn't know it was out in book form. Thanks! I MUST get that.

As for what I'm reading right now, I started re-reading "Brideshead Revisted" last night. Love it and love the TV series made from it. They actually didn't ruin the book for me!

Rosamund

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2007 View Post
    Rosamund, it is great to here someone else loves reading M.C. Beaton. I love Agatha Raisin some of the things she says are so funny.

If you haven't already, check out her Hamish Macbeth books. They are equally as good.
    Hi Anne,

I'm really on an Agatha Raisin kick at the moment; I read several a few years ago, took a break, and now I'm reading one after the other! They are addictive.

I have read a few Hamish Macbeth books, and I agree, they were just as fun. I'll have to get back to them after I'm through with the Agatha books.

I'm attempting to read (in between all my law books!) Silencing Dissent: How the Australian Government is controlling public opinion and stifling debate by Clive Hamilton and Sarah Maddison. V good, v topical!

After exams I want to re-read Half Blood Prince (in preparation for Deathly Hallows!) and try and crank through as many of the books I've bought recently and put in the "To Read" pile as I can!

I went to the library yesterday. I was depressed so I got coffee and went to the library to get some reading material to get my mind off things... I got Tolstoy's 'Anna Karenina,' Flaubert's 'Madame Bovary,' Hemingway's 'A Farewell to Arms,' and Augusten Burrough's 'Magical Thinking.'

What can I say? I'm ambitious.
    So far 'Anna Karenina' has been good...

^^Anna Karenina is one of my all-time favourites. I think Madame Bovary is one of the most stylistically perfect novels ever written.

Elite Member

^^ ditto.

Currently reading a book from the 'undead' series.

MY BIG REC, however, is Joe Hills "Heart Shaped Box" its a modern ghost story and it is beyond brilliant.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    ^^Anna Karenina is one of my all-time favourites. I think Madame Bovary is one of the most stylistically perfect novels ever written.
    Me too - love them both but especially Madame Bovary.

Flaubert was really nit-picky about his writing and wrote and re-wrote stuff all the time. That novel took him 5 years. It was well worth it IMO.

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis.
    When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I loved Anna Karenina and loathed it. It was the only book that I couldn't read in entirety because it was so well written that the characters compeltely gave me the shits! I ended up skimming the last quarter of the book and reading all the bits associated with Levin's existential crisis. That was really interesting! I just couldn't cope with the pious wanking of Anna and Vronsky. Will try to read it again at some stage though, suspect I was a bit young when I first attempted it (16)

I'm reading Dirty Havana Trilogy by Pedro Juan Gutierrez. It's great!

I was reading the Truth About Diamonds the other day- just skimming it at a friends house, and Nicole Richie writes- 'We've (her and her friends) always thought that if you hung around with homely people, their unattractiveness would be contagious'.

Obviously!

I went to the library this morning and picked up Lisey's Story by Stephen King and The New York Times Dessert Cookbook - a nice big book that I am really looking forward to tucking into.

Thread Information