Page 161 of 174 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 2602
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Well the incest theme is strong because this is partially based on her Harry Potter incest fic of Ron/Ginny. But its also a ripoff of Star Wars, Buffy and others this is why the movie got slammed due to the unoriginal elements being really apparent. Her fans are getting pissed off too and she's not writing anything new in the future with more prequels and spinnoffs being planned with the same rehashing. There is better YA out there - try the Earth Girl trilogy which I am enjoying at the moment or for something really dark, Angelfall by Susan Ee which has its followup out in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    If fictional incest bothers you, you should avoid: Middlesex, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The God of Small Things, The Hotel New Hampshire, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Mists of Avalon, The Pillars of the Earth, The Secret History, The Bible, et al..............
    LOL The Bible. You're funny.

I've not read a book which had incest in it (not that I can remember TBH) so yeh it did bother me but I read through it. I know Game of Thrones has it since I've been watching the series but maybe because I know its coming it won't bother me. I don't know.

ETA: Wait, The Bible has incest?

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Well the incest theme is strong because this is partially based on her Harry Potter incest fic of Ron/Ginny. But its also a ripoff of Star Wars, Buffy and others this is why the movie got slammed due to the unoriginal elements being really apparent. Her fans are getting pissed off too and she's not writing anything new in the future with more prequels and spinnoffs being planned with the same rehashing. There is better YA out there - try the Earth Girl trilogy which I am enjoying at the moment or for something really dark, Angelfall by Susan Ee which has its followup out in a few months.
    I honestly didn't know any background to the author, I only read them because my cousin recommended them to me. But I've been reading on ONTD and other places that she plagiarised a lot and that the books were based on fanfic that's why people don't like her as well as because of the bullying.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by blah_blah_blah View Post

Top 6 Incestuous Relationships In The Bible - Listverse
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    If fictional incest bothers you, you should avoid: Middlesex, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The God of Small Things, The Hotel New Hampshire, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Mists of Avalon, The Pillars of the Earth, The Secret History, The Bible, et al..............
    You forgot Flower in the Attic by V.C. Andrews - my 14 year old self still has not gotten over the sister and brother getting it on
    SHELLEE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    You forgot Flower in the Attic by V.C. Andrews - my 14 year old self still has not gotten over the sister and brother getting it on
    Ohhhhh! Flowers in the Attic! That was THE book to read when it came out in 1979. Didn't the brother rape her though because they were locked up in that attic and he was a frustrated teenager?
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

If I remember correctly, it was consensual.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Shellee is correct; it was consensual in FitA.

Oh, yay. Two daughters get their father drunk and both sleep with him to pass on the family line or something. I am sure that story is one of the 6 mentioned in the link Bluebonnet posted.

In GoT, if you keep it in context and don't look at it as just "ewww," it makes sense. No worse that royalty marrying cousins to preserve the family line. Which, if I understand it correctly, is where the term "blue blood" came from. Intermarriage cause blood anomalies and hemophilia and the desire for pale skin showed the veins more clearly. But I heard that decades ago in a history class, so that may not be true.

The Pharaohs frequently married their sisters. Incest served their political purposes.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    gods without men, by hari kunzru.
    i'm about 2/3 or the way through and can't put it down. great novel so far, intertwining stories centred around one place, beautifully written. i've read a couple of his books before and already liked him a lot but this one is really blowing me away so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/bo...pagewanted=all
    Oh, I downloaded this last week. It's my next read.
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    Didn't she write some other story with an uncle raping his niece or was it this one?

By the way, just finishing the inheritance cycle (because I started the series loooong ago and I JUST HAVE TO know how it ends :p ) but god it's long, and as always packed with tedious details and boring scenes, even though the story could be good the writing style really drags it down IMO
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Still wading through the Wheel of Time series. I'm onto Book 9, Winter's Heart. Yet more braid tugging, skirt smoothing, men being mystified by women, women sighing at how dumb men are. Sigh. I am going to stick with it until the end, but fuck me is it boring at times. Makes me appreciate A Song of Ice and Fire sooo much more, it smashes all the tropey shite and the characters actually act like people. As soon as I'm finished Wheel of Time I'm treating myself to The Scar by China Mieville. I love love love his steampunk fantasy stuff, it's so vivid and weird.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

The first time the brother and sister got it on in Flowers in the Attic he raped her.

I'm reading They Call Me Baba Booey by Gary Dell'Abate. It has been really good so far.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I am trying to get into "Any Where but Here," an oldie, but it's not happening.

So, gave up on that one and read "The Time Between" by Karen White today (was off). It's great.

Thread Information