Page 151 of 174 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2602
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

I just bought Gillian Flynn's other two books because I loved Gone Girl so much, and I read them both within two days. HATED them. I actually did a Google search to see if Gone Girl had been ghostwritten or had a "collaborator" because I couldn't believe the same author produced all three of these novels.

Her other two are similar to each other in that they're both very dark and deal with women trying to get to the bottom of a gruesome crime (abduction/killing of preteen girls in one and the murder of a family in another). They're both much shorter than Gone Girl, and the characters aren't as well developed. The plots are also not as smart or intellectually stimulating.

The first book was just utterly predictable. The second one was kind of all over the place, and it included graphic descriptions of animal abuse which I found very off-putting and unnecessary.

Never before have I loved something by an author as much as I loved Gone Girl while so strongly disliking their other books.

I tried to read Gone Girl and I could just not get into it , I'm not sure why but I may give it another chance soon ,I am reading Heat Rises , It's the third Nikki Heat novel , I really like the first two and so far this one is really good

I picked up Gone Girl on Sunday and finished it today. I'd heard so many people talking about it, I thought I'd give it a try. It's kind of hard to give opinions on it without giving too much away. My first problem is that I know two people in real life exactly like Amy and it was turning my stomach so much as I was reading, I had to put the book down a few times and regroup. I assume that level of frustration was the point, though? The second problem is what BBDSP said, I knew the twist was coming and as a result, I overtwisted the plot in my mind. My third problem is that if Reese Witherspoon plays this person in a movie I might have to shoot myself in the head. I did think the book was darkly funny and I especially enjoyed the Ellen Abbott part, Flynn nailed that.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Bronze Member

It's that time of year when I like to sit with a pot of tea and reread things. Old-school mystery novels (Ngagio Marsh and Margery Allingham) Daughter of Time (Josephine Tey) Just about any Caroline Graham, for her deft hand with characters. Also The Strange Death of Mistress Coffin (Robert Begiebing), which was based on an unsolved murder from the 1640s. It was just reissued for its 20th anniversary, but I have multiple copies that I lend out.

Elite Member

I just finished reading 'Broken Harbour' by Tana French. It was great.
    ikmccall and InigoMontoya like this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

To the end of the land, by david grossman. Been meaning to read it for ages. So far it's excellent. To the point that I missed my stop on the train tonight.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ I loved that book.

I just finished The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng. I liked it a lot, WWII-era Malaya, friendship between a Japanese spy and a young Eurasian man.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^ grossman is just brilliant, so far I've loved everything of his I've ever read.his non-fiction stuff is great and I have a google alert set up so i can read his articles.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander, M.D. Supposed auto-biographical, near death experience of a neurosurgeon who contracted an extremely rare bacterial meningitis and was comatose for a week. Wish I could believe what he's describing, because it sounds beautiful. But can't drop my cynicism about the author's claim he was chosen to have/gifted with a more profound/complete experience then other N.D.E. travellers.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran by John Taylor. It's pretty good so far. But I just started it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran by John Taylor. It's pretty good so far. But I just started it yesterday.
    Is there any juicy gossip in it? I didn't know he had a book out.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Is there any juicy gossip in it? I didn't know he had a book out.
    I didn't know he was a major drug addict, which he writes about. All the problems with their managers, etc. I haven't finished it yet (happens when you have a kid). Nothing juicy yet, but I'll keep you posted.
    Waterslide likes this.

I started Schindler's List today. So far, it's interesting but I am having some trouble keeping up with all of the different characters and locations.

Elite Member

I'm reading Wolf Hall right now. So far, so good.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Bronze Member hunterlovesgossip's Avatar

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. I'm loving this book.

Thread Information