Page 149 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2602
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'd love to get hold of a copy of the Rolling Stone memorial issue for the Bloke's birthday (he's a huge fan too) but it's well beyond my price range (looking at around 60 on e-bay).
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    I went from Big Sur (Kerouac) to Fear and Loathing in LV and now this. Starting with Big Sur made it a downhill ride, but this book is still intimidating because of it's size! Hells Angels looks really good! Does it deal with Altamont at all?

It's been a while since I read it, but it was published a few years before Altamont happened.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It's been a while since I read it, but it was published a few years before Altamont happened.
    I must be thinking of the HA trial at the start of the book then. My bad, but it's a few years since I read it myself (I loaned my copy out and didn't get it back so I'll be borrowing the Bloke's when I re-read it).
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I went from Big Sur (Kerouac) to Fear and Loathing in LV and now this.
    Looooved Big Sur. My fav of his is still Dharma Bums though.
    MmeVertigina and Waterslide like this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by Air Quotes View Post
    Looooved Big Sur. My fav of his is still Dharma Bums though.

I hadn't read much Kerouac before starting Big Sur. I read part of On the Road years ago but it didn't keep like my interest like Big Sur did. But now, after all of the references to OTR which were in Big Sur, I guess I should go back and finish it. I'll also keep an eye out for Dharma Bums! I love getting suggestions for books from people who enjoy the same authors

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I must be thinking of the HA trial at the start of the book then. My bad, but it's a few years since I read it myself (I loaned my copy out and didn't get it back so I'll be borrowing the Bloke's when I re-read it).
    In any case I am going to pick it up!

Trying to get through Wicked Sisters. It's about three grown sisters who grew up in a Shakespeare loving household. They all come back to their hometown (college town) to "help" their sick mother. So far I hate all of them.

Bronze Member hunterlovesgossip's Avatar

Fifty Shades of Grey

I am reading "A model summer" by Paulina Porizkova.
    I have read some positive reviews and some negative reviews, but it's a very quick, easy read and I was interested in reading something that gives a bit of insight on the world of top models. (The writer is a former model).

I am about half way and so far I don't really get why the book received so many positive reviews.

It's true that there is humor, but it sounds conceited most of the time. The main character is a completely illogical mix of being smart and incredibly dumb. The writing isn't that good, or not as good as some reviews said: I spotted some errors that a professional writer wouldn't make.

And, FFS, if you want to scatter sentences in Italian here and there, try to do at least a bit of research and make sure that they make at least *some* sense!
    I have read fan fiction where the writers had been way more careful in their research when using foreign languages.

Overall, it does read like fan fiction, ie, like something that wasn't written by a professional writer.

The only good thing is that the description of the life of models is indeed interesting, though it's set in the 80s, so I guess some thing have changed a bit.

Pure- Andrew Miller

France right before the Revolution, an engineer dealing with removing the bodies from Les Innocents cemetery. It's very good.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I went from Big Sur (Kerouac) to Fear and Loathing in LV and now this. Starting with Big Sur made it a downhill ride, but this book is still intimidating because of it's size! Hells Angels looks really good! Does it deal with Altamont at all?
    The Altamont incident with the Hell's Angels and the Rolling Stones? If I remember correctly, the most vivid write up on that was by Tom Wolfe in "The Electric Koolaid Acid Test".
    MmeVertigina likes this.

This summer I started reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter novels and I love them. I found a few on clearence at my used book store so I thought, hey this is a huge book for $1 its gotta be worth it. And it was, my sister in-law and I have bought the whole collection on ebay and we cant stop reading them.

They're sexy, funny, emotional, and educational. I've learned so much about all the different kinds of gods from greek to egyptian to native american.
    Did I say emotional, yeah I was up all night crying over the book Acheron.
    And everyone else I've got to read it said the same thing.
    ------Calm down. It's only ones and zeros.-----

Revisiting John Cheever complete Short Stories. I love his writing; When We Were Slaves, an insightful look into slavery from true stories. Reading actually exposes why we have so many differing attitudes on racism amongst Black people today.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Read alot of Robyn Carr's Virgin River series this past summer. Just finished Harvest Moon.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I got a rec to read Seduction and Snacks by Tara Sivec which I loved! Its a sexy romance filled with snarky and potty mouthed characters and sarcastic humour. Its about a single mother who comes across the father of her child who wasn't aware he is a daddy, and it follows their exploits to getting to know each other and coping with a kid who is just as potty mouthed as theirs.

Its very very funny and its a great change from the wangsty emo 50 type romances that is going around at the moment. I have the sequel but I know there's a few of us who would love this series and I know would enjoy reading it.

I just finished The Watch by Joydeep Roy-Bhattacharya.

Loosely based on Antigone, set in the Afghan war. It was astonishing.

Thread Information