Page 148 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 2602
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Rereading Game of Thrones as an antidote to 50 Shades. Gonna do some researching and downloading this weekend, I really need to read something different. Will be trawling through this thread for some inspiration, you lot always have good suggestions
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

last time i posted in here i was reading number9dream by david mitchell. it's fucking awesome but i'm a total mitchell fangirl so probably biased.

then shit got crazy at work and i was stuck in a month of negotiations and couldn't read anything so was totally illiterate. now reading joan didion's 'the year of magical thinking' - i've been meaning to read it for years but when it came out my father's death was still too fresh in my mind and i couldn't read a memoir about loss. i finally got over my fear of that kind of book reading francisco goldman's 'say her name' and now i'm finally reading the didion. so far so good.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm about 75 pages into Gone Girl. I enjoy her two writing styles (two narratives from the husband and diary entries from the wife). Everyone is raving about it so I'm waiting for it to pick up a bit.

Picked up one of my daughter's summer reading books last night Townie by Andre Dubus III. Half way through it in one sitting. I told her to move on to another book because I was going to finish it first.

It's his autobiography of growing up in New England/Boston suburbs during the 70s/80s with 3 siblings, divorced parents and no money, no dreams, no plans and no parental oversight. Extremely well written and moves really quickly. My daughter is hating it because she says there's no plot. My reply was the plot is his life.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Man I havent read a book in quite sometime. I started The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah months ago but Im taking my time with it. The main character is so insufferable thats the only way to read it. I also started 50 Shades Of Gray and put it right back down again. Maybe some other time, after I finish the Twilight series. In fact that should be my next book, the final, Breaking Dawn. Or maybe Ill go back to The Dresden Files. Awesome series, that, and I need some good reading again. I might just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Rereading Game of Thrones as an antidote to 50 Shades.
    For a similar reason I've just begun reading the Jack Reacher series for the first time. I'm 2/3rds through the first book and pleasantly surprised with the author's writing and characterisations.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Elite Member

Picked up one of my daughter's summer reading books last night Townie by Andre Dubus III. Half way through it in one sitting. I told her to move on to another book because I was going to finish it first.
    I've been meaning to read that for awhile. He was doing readings around my area (appropriately enough, hitting the crap old mill towns in Mass and Maine) but I missed him when he came to the next town over. Let me know if you enjoy it...Maybe that will inspire me to start it.

I'm about 75 pages into Gone Girl. I enjoy her two writing styles (two narratives from the husband and diary entries from the wife). Everyone is raving about it so I'm waiting for it to pick up a bit.
    I just started reading it last night and am finding it easy to get into, though I wonder if I might get bored with the main characters.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

^ That's exactly how I feel about it. Normally if I start a book, I devour it. While this one is enjoyable, I'm not compelled enough by it to skip a workout or anything else I should be doing.

Finished Gone Girl. Something seemed off to me in the first hundred pages and it eventually made sense why. I grew to hate most of the characters intensely. The story was well done and the two narratives, like I said, we're interesting. I got to the end and felt they each deserved what they got.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, by Hunter S. Thompson
    Kittylady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    For a similar reason I've just begun reading the Jack Reacher series for the first time. I'm 2/3rds through the first book and pleasantly surprised with the author's writing and characterisations.
    If you're into fantasy books at all you should give Jim Butcher's Codex Alera books a read, they're really good.

I'm currently reading The Prisoner of Snowflake Falls, I came across it by accident. It's a book for teens but it's quite a nice wee story, I'm enjoying a quick read for once.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, by Hunter S. Thompson
    I very nearly picked that up to read this weekend after a Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas rewatch on Saturday night but ended up starting HST's Hell's Angels instead.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I very nearly picked that up to read this weekend after a Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas rewatch on Saturday night but ended up starting HST's Hell's Angels instead.
    I went from Big Sur (Kerouac) to Fear and Loathing in LV and now this. Starting with Big Sur made it a downhill ride, but this book is still intimidating because of it's size! Hells Angels looks really good! Does it deal with Altamont at all?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

It's a few years since I last read it but I'm pretty sure it does cover Altamont. I'm thinking of starting Kingdom of Fear next but I might have something else cross my path that'll distract me before then.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    It's a few years since I last read it but I'm pretty sure it does cover Altamont. I'm thinking of starting Kingdom of Fear next but I might have something else cross my path that'll distract me before then.

Oooh you are giving me some good suggestions! thanks!

Thread Information