Page 14 of 174 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

I just finished "House of Hilton" by Jerry Oppenheimer. It's hilarious. The Hiltons are tacky, but I have to say that Paris's mother's side is even worse. What a bunch of gold-digging man-chasers! I guess we know where banned gets it from.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Erm...nah...it's too easy.

Anyway, I just finished reading 'The Accidental Tourist'...it was fantastic. I've never seen the movie so am wondering if it was any good (bear in mind that I hate William Hurt, Heart, Hert, whatever his name is).
    I love Ann Tyler's books, have read them all. Yes the movie was good

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I love Ann Tyler as well. I only discovered her about a year ago and absolutely loved LOVED The Accidental Tourist. Really thought it was great. Haven't seen the film as I dislike the pompous William Hurt as well.

Now, has anyone read 84, Charing Cross Road? I just started in on the recommendation of a friend of mine who owns a bookshop and I have to tell you that I love this book. It's quite old fashioned but sweet and funny and really different. I'm only about 20 pages into it and already I'm in love.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

currently onto Jpod by Douglas Coupland. Its an interesting quirky read all about Ethan, a programmer, and his insane family and insane group of co-workers. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I only just started it last night (its 448 pages long). Thoroughly reccomend if you're a techno nerd or a member of the geek squad.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

I just finished reading The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. Does anyone know it? It's very moving and very well written, a total must read!

Elite Member

Well I finished Jpod in a day. hehe. Thoroughly reccomend for its cyberpunk techno speak quirkiness. I related to it completely. Which, if you read the book, you'll understand why it scares me.

Almost finished Lamb: The Gospel according to Biff Christs Childhood Friend and it is so laugh out loud hillarious that I'm going to go a head and allready reccomend it.

Next it'll be onto the Dexter books that have apparently been turned into a TV show which, of course, I will have to download after I finished reading them.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

I just started reading The First Days of School by Harry Wong, it was given to me by the teacher who's classroom I just spent 5 weeks in. It's definitly a nerdy education major book.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Elite Member

Anna Kaenina by Tolstoy.

And yeah its formy own pleasure.
    Chrissie Hynde

Isn't "Anna Karenina" pretty sad, though?

Elite Member

apparently, but its also been called the most beautiful book ever written. I havent finished yet so I cant tell you my full opinion about either.
    Chrissie Hynde

Because of my new meds and post acute withdrawal syndrome (common to newly sober drunks), I am having trouble concentrating so I am reading three books right now. I usually just plow through books but I am just reading a few pages at a time, then hopping off to check email or to take a walk. The books are:
    Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
    Confessions of a Recovering Slut by Hollis Gillespie
    Fondling Your Muse by John Warner

I am kind of regretting buying the Warner book. He is just not that funny. He tries to be ironic and hip and it ain't working.

I just bought Gone With the Wind to read on vacation next week. I'm thinking 1000+ pages will keep me occupied all week.

I finished reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I know it came out years ago, but I never got around to reading it until now. And maybe I'm just a hypersensitive softie, but I cried so much. It was so good.

I just finished a book called The Ghost Writer by John Harwood. It's AMAZING. Amazing. I was blown away. He writes stories within stories within stories and it's good a creepy. Except the end frustrated me. But you can't have everything. I'd give it an A-/B+ .....He's a marvelous writer.

Elite Member

Currently Reading 'Children of Men' by PD James. And yeah, its the book that the movie is based on. Almost finished. I havent seen the movie but the book is excellent. Then again I like these kinds of books.

On the summer holiday reading list (even though I dont have a job so technically - not really a holiday, its still summer damnit):

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
    Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
    Sins of the Night & Kiss of the Night (Dark Hunter Novels) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    This Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
    Guilty Pleasures (and Antia Blake: Vampire Hunter Novel) by Laurell K Hamilton
    Chrissie Hynde

Thread Information