Page 114 of 174 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2602
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

'Things Fall Apart' by Chinua Achebe.

Superstitious by Karen Robards

just finished Carol Burnett's book “This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection” I was not overly impressed. It was alright. I would give it a C
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon except I've yet to read 2 whole pages so I don't know if that counts.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

I'm barely in, but so far, so good. I really enjoyed Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code, so I'm hoping this one is equally as good.

'england, england' by julian barnes, and 'hotel new hampshire' by john irving. so far i love the barnes (not surprising, he's one of my favourite authors) and i'm barely a few chapters into the irving but already i've found a tonne of similarities with his other books - boarding schools, new england, etc... he's a good storyteller but he really does have his signature themes that recur in pretty much all his books.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Have you read Flaubert's Parrot? I liked it very much, and I'm not into "campus novels".
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    'england, england' by julian barnes, and 'hotel new hampshire' by john irving. so far i love the barnes (not surprising, he's one of my favourite authors) and i'm barely a few chapters into the irving but already i've found a tonne of similarities with his other books - boarding schools, new england, etc... he's a good storyteller but he really does have his signature themes that recur in pretty much all his books.
    John Irving definitely writes what he knows, which is New England and how. I liked According to Garp because it was so nuts. A lot of people dug A Prayer for Owen Meany and that was pretty good too. Cider House Rules, I did not care for. His paperback book cover designs are atrocious though, they need to be redone.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Reading the newest Charlaine Harris Sookie book, Dead in the Family. These things are like cotton candy - no nutritional value whatsoever, but fun and tasty.

I wish she'd write on her Aurora Teagarden series again.

Private - James Patterson. So far, a really good book.

today i finished 'the slap' by christos tsiolkas. really interesting australian novel. abot a guy who slaps a kid who's not his own at a barbecue, and that event serves as the catalyst for the whole story revolving around a circle of friends and family in melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    ^Have you read Flaubert's Parrot? I liked it very much, and I'm not into "campus novels".
    not yet. i bought it and it's near the top of my pile of books to read. if you haven't read it, you simply must read 'a history of the world in 10 and a half chapters'. it's genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    John Irving definitely writes what he knows, which is New England and how. I liked According to Garp because it was so nuts. A lot of people dug A Prayer for Owen Meany and that was pretty good too. Cider House Rules, I did not care for. His paperback book cover designs are atrocious though, they need to be redone.
    agree abot the covers, they're vile.
    also loved garp and owen meany but i think my favourite is 'until i find you'.
    Last edited by sputnik; July 1st, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

I'm reading The Solitude of Prime numbers by Paolo Giordano. It's ok
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

^Thanks for the advice, Sput!

I'm reading Phoedrus by Plato, Death in Midsummer by Mishima and Lo's Diary. The latter is a new take on Lolita.
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Just finished Haunted by Chuck Palanuik and started Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon

Quote Originally Posted by LucreziaBorgia View Post
    Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon
    Love that book. I loaned it to a friend and she couldn't get into it, but I thought it was so interesting. I'd love to hear your thoughts about it when you finish.

I'm back on my Dan Brown kick and reading Digital Fortress.

The Hidden Life of Otto Frank, by Carol Ann Lee. She hints at some inappropriateness in Frank's relationship with his daughter Anne, and has a theory on who may have betrayed the family when they were hiding. Allegedly he did business with the Third Reich too!! Very well-written, and more than a little heartbreaking.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Thread Information