Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading? (2.0)

Truly Madly Guilty, hated it

Rereading Jack Reacher, Never go back. cotton candy but I looooove Reacher.
    JazzyGirl and lindsaywhit like this.

"Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch -- blew my mind. It's a good read, if you like sci-fi; now reading "Child 44" after seeing the movie.

^Ewe, you just reminded me of the Stephen King short story Grey matter. The giys fingers turn gelatinous and he can't open beer cans. Yucky
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth - amazingly interesting and fascinating insight on child birth

I'm attempting to finish Miss Peregrine's Home..., but I am constantly interrupted. It nauseates me how many books I might finish in a lifetime without needless interruptions.

I will say the book is a breath of fresh air from the last book I attempted to read, which was called Night Film by Marisha Pessl. It takes a lot for me to call something an unreadable piece of trash, because I know that I don't have the same taste as others, and books and music are very personal things. Night Film is 50 Shades-level bad writing. The only nice thing I could muster up to say about it is that I liked the concept. From there, it is a plodding, repetitive mess, and the grown adult author could not go through one page without using italics for emphasis, even when describing something as commonplace as a character ordering a sandwich. Seriously, try reading an entire 900 (?)-page book like that last sentence and tell me it's not a form of torture. I borrowed the e-book from my library, but I would have demanded my money back had I paid for it. It's still pissing me off, especially since the majority of reviewers at Amazon and Goodreads gushed over it so much. Yuck.
    deenz likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I just finished Girl on the Train. Well, I didn't actually "finish" it....I stopped reading it halfway because I figured out who killed Megan. (and I didn't see the movie.) I googled and I was right. I think I've read too many crime novels in my life. I always figure out who did it.

Still a great book though. I recommend it.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

The Girls- Emma Cline. Finished it over the weekend. It made it onto many 'Best Books of the Year' lists, but I found it kind of meh.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth - amazingly interesting and fascinating insight on child birth
    Have you seen the BBC show? I started watching an episode here and there and really like it. Vanessa Redgrave does the voice overs for it, and I've liked a lot of the quotes and wondered if they were taken from the book or not.

I am again super stressed so I am reading a fluffy book of short stories about Christmas set in Regency England. It's OK so far based on the ambiance of it, but I'm not feeling the ridiculous plot of the story I just finished. I feel like every time I read a book lately I'm pissed off that the story is badly written, repetitive, predictable, or beyond belief. /book grinchiness

On a positive note, I did end up finishing Miss Peregrine's. I did think that was actually very good. Nice prose, fantasy that wasn't super goofy, a little bit of humor.

@wcg, I googled the book you're talking about and recognized the cover and had seen it on some lists, too. Too bad it wasn't spectacular.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I really enjoyed The Girls, but it wasn't as amazing as it was hyped to be.

Currently trying to read State of Grace by Joy Williams. My brain is absolutely fried from my schedule, I can barely read once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Have you seen the BBC show? I started watching an episode here and there and really like it. Vanessa Redgrave does the voice overs for it, and I've liked a lot of the quotes and wondered if they were taken from the book or not.

I am again super stressed so I am reading a fluffy book of short stories about Christmas set in Regency England. It's OK so far based on the ambiance of it, but I'm not feeling the ridiculous plot of the story I just finished. I feel like every time I read a book lately I'm pissed off that the story is badly written, repetitive, predictable, or beyond belief. /book grinchiness

On a positive note, I did end up finishing Miss Peregrine's. I did think that was actually very good. Nice prose, fantasy that wasn't super goofy, a little bit of humor.

@wcg, I googled the book you're talking about and recognized the cover and had seen it on some lists, too. Too bad it wasn't spectacular.
    I have seen the first season of the show the show is very true to the book , the woman with the 24-kids is totally real, It's hard to read the book sometimes because of the hard times the woman are going through with trying to give birth and It can be a little much if I am not in the right mind frame
    I've been reading Jill Shavis because my brain needs a break from real life bull shit
    Waterslide likes this.

I read Call the Midwife and LOVED it. Some of it was heartbreaking.
    Waterslide and lindsaywhit like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    I have seen the first season of the show the show is very true to the book , the woman with the 24-kids is totally real, It's hard to read the book sometimes because of the hard times the woman are going through with trying to give birth and It can be a little much if I am not in the right mind frame
    I've been reading Jill Shavis because my brain needs a break from real life bull shit
    Yeah, that's why I haven't binged that show either. It gets a little depressing, but if I'm in the right frame of mind, I really enjoy it. I'm assuming I would feel the same way about the book.
    ~Manx Mouse

Elite Member

I'm rereading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It's in play form with stage direction...I am an HP fan so I really enjoyed.

Born a crime Trevor Noah. MY god apartheid, and the crazy mother he had. And again how religion works
    BITTER likes this.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information