Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading? (2.0)

czb

yeah, i thought it was great. i was reading some of the online reviews and some of them cast a lot of doubt on some of the stuff she says about her assignments. but i didn't care - still a great read. she has a lot of life experience for someone so young.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    yeah, i thought it was great. i was reading some of the online reviews and some of them cast a lot of doubt on some of the stuff she says about her assignments. but i didn't care - still a great read. she has a lot of life experience for someone so young.
    Yeah, the narrative is great. Even I was a little shocked that she goes to Thailand and the next thing you know she's meeting Aung San Suu Kyi, but it's all very interesting. It's also making me a little sad because that was the kind of life I had wanted and the things I had wanted to do and never got the chance to at that age. Traveling, writing, fucking shit up when possible...that kind of thing. I haven't gotten to the CIA stuff quite yet, though.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

czb

i never wanted or imagined that kind of life. but i think when you are the child of a diplomat, you are exposed to those kinds of possibilities so it is an entry. she moved a lot as a kid and being exposed to different cultures probably helped her a lot with her work pursuits.
    Waterslide likes this.

i was curious about 'life undercover' but it also sounded like it might be a bit cheesy - the nyt described her as marianne williamson-ish, and the book like a cross between john le carré and 'eat pray love' which turned me off a little but now i'm adding it to my list. i'm taking 3 weeks off over the holiday season and i'm looking forward to finally having time and the mental energy to read.

i finished 'nothing to see here' and i'm giving it to at least 3 people i know as christmas presents. it is hilarious, heartbreaking, profoundly weird and absolutely charming. can't recommend it enough.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

^^^yeah, i saw the NYT article that you are talking about. i think she is marianne williamsonish now but that's not how the book reads at all. it just describes her life and adventures. she is more EPL now that she is banging a kennedy. *shrugs*
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

I just finished the latest Vince Flynn (Kyle Mills) novel with Mitch Rapp, "Lethal Agent." A fast rising presidential candidate at war with the IC may be responsible for leaking classified information. Right...like that would really happen...

It has lots of action and the pace was quick, too quick when it came to the ending. It felt rushed and was too easy. I would give it a solid B.

The Topeka School, by Ben Lerner.
    ive never read him before but so far I really like it. He has a capacity for saying so much while being pretty spare with his language, which is something I really appreciate. And makes sense since Lerner is also a poet and most poets tend to be very economical with language. It’s a fascinating take of how América came to be the angry fucked up place it is, told though the story of a teenage boy and his parents in Topeka, Kansas in the late 1990s.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I’m working through the Denzil Mayrick D.C.I. Daley books set in Scotland.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

The Last Werewolf by Glenn Duncan. I'm really struggling with it. There's a sneering smugness to the writing style and the story doesn't seem inclined to go anywhere fast.

I picked it up for a whopping 50 pence in a charity shop and have just found the original owners credit card receipt for it being used as a bookmark. It doesn't look like they made it past page 98. I'm starting to see why.
    sputnik likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I've given up on the Werewolf book for now. I tried reading some more of it again today and had to keep going back to reread the page I'd just read because it wasn't sinking in. I was reading the words but my mind was going on one long brainfart instead of taking it in.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread Information