Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading? (2.0)

Kardashians an American drama by Oppenheimer

Its interesting and hasn’t pulled any punches so far.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Those Who Leave And Those Who Stay -Elena Ferrante, the mysterious secret writer.

It's the third of the Neopolitan novels and they've been brilliant. I also loved her The Days of Abandonment.

Based on the books I've read I'd guess it's a woman. Just a feeling. But as far from chick lit as one can go. A lot of anger there.
    i finally got round to starting this series. i'm almost done with book 2 and totally hooked. they're pretty magnificent so far. i'm pretty sure she's a woman too although i remember reading in the atlantic not too long ago a theory that "elena ferrante" was actually a composite and the writers were a couple (a novelist and translator, both of whom have been suspected of being ferrante).
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I am working my way through Chris Grabenstein’s John Ceepack series, set in Sea Haven on the NJ shore.

You by Caroline Kepnes. I liked the show so decided to read the book.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I started reading Sabbath's Theater by Philip Roth. I don't know how I got this far in life without reading any of his books. It's made me LOL more than once, but it's also dark and tragic and full of sex.
    sputnik likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^^^
    i haven’t read that one but I love me some Roth. Try american pastoral next.

I finished the Neapolitan novels and was basically grieving and incapable of reading anything else for about a week - not because they’re sad but because I was so deeply engaged in them and it was almost a shock when they ended.

Now im reading Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I’m about halfway though and it’s pretty good so far. Set in suburbia in the late 90s so it will definitely resonate with anyone in my age group. It’s also really interesting how she manages to take you back to the 90s, she’s great at depicting the subtle and not so subtle differences between then and now. It’s funny how 20 years is both a long time and nothing at all.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Summer read The Good Son: JFK Jr. and the Mother He Loved

Had no idea that Jackie was quite the 'homewrecker', apparently she like her lovers married

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    Summer read The Good Son: JFK Jr. and the Mother He Loved

Had no idea that Jackie was quite the 'homewrecker', apparently she like her lovers married
    the more I find out about Jackie O, the less I like her...

Just finished reading the Holocaust memoirs of Nanette Blitz, one of Anne Frankís best friends in school. She lost her entire family only weeks before liberation and saw Anne it the Bergen Belsen camp right before she died. She was rescued by a British army battalion. She was also one of the first people to read Anneís diary. She talks about how indifferent many Dutch people were towards the Jewish survivors, how she spent three years in a sanitarium regaining her health and how she met her husband who took her to Brazil where they raised their children...itís a great read, plain spoken but articulate.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

I think that a lot of EU natives had their own problems. My mum’s cousin nearly starved to death in Vienna after the war due to the food shortages.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    i haven’t read that one but I love me some Roth. Try american pastoral next.
    I loved American Pastoral.
    Hated it at first, it was a compulsory read for a competitive exam, but I ended up really enjoying it.

Right now I'm reading the Mistborn series by Sanderson, while waiting for the next instalment in the Stormlight Archive series.He's definitely one of the best fantasy writers out there.
    Daphodil likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

czb

american pastoral was amazing.

am now reading Becoming.

I'm thinking of getting this book.

RECOMMENDED: The Trial of Lizzie Borden by Cara Roberston is $3.99! Elyse gave this one an A grade, which is pretty impressive:

If you want to read about how our understanding of gender vilified and later exonerated and then again vilified a complicated woman, then again this book is for you. It’s easily one of the best true crime books I’ve read to date.

The remarkable new account of an essential piece of American mythology—the trial of Lizzie Borden—based on twenty years of research and recently unearthed evidence.

The Trial of Lizzie Borden tells the true story of one of the most sensational murder trials in American history. When Andrew and Abby Borden were brutally hacked to death in Fall River, Massachusetts, in August 1892, the arrest of the couple’s younger daughter Lizzie turned the case into international news and her trial into a spectacle unparalleled in American history. Reporters flocked to the scene. Well-known columnists took up conspicuous seats in the courtroom. The defendant was relentlessly scrutinized for signs of guilt or innocence. Everyone—rich and poor, suffragists and social conservatives, legal scholars and laypeople—had an opinion about Lizzie Borden’s guilt or innocence. Was she a cold-blooded murderess or an unjustly persecuted lady? Did she or didn’t she?

The popular fascination with the Borden murders and its central enigmatic character has endured for more than one hundred years. Immortalized in rhyme, told and retold in every conceivable genre, the murders have secured a place in the American pantheon of mythic horror, but one typically wrenched from its historical moment. In contrast, Cara Robertson explores the stories Lizzie Borden’s culture wanted and expected to hear and how those stories influenced the debate inside and outside of the courtroom. Based on transcripts of the Borden legal proceedings, contemporary newspaper accounts, unpublished local accounts, and recently unearthed letters from Lizzie herself, The Trial of Lizzie Borden offers a window onto America in the Gilded Age, showcasing its most deeply held convictions and its most troubling social anxieties

https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/...e-borden-more/

czb

song of achilles.

love it so far.

I’m working my way through the Inspector Chen novels by Qui Xiaolong again.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread Information