Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading? (2.0)

I read crazy rich Asians, I found the first book really funny but the second and third were a bit.....

Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror Awesome anthology to read for Halloween. On the dark side of sunlight basin and Papercuts are particularly good, but I still have half the book left.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Of Human Bondage. I love it so far, though I'm short on leisure time and it's such a behemoth, so it's taking me a while.

Quote Originally Posted by lenss View Post
    Of Human Bondage. I love it so far, though I'm short on leisure time and it's such a behemoth, so it's taking me a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    uh huh
    manningmsj and sputnik like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Bronze Member

As for more recent books, my suggestions include "The Great Alone" and "Uneducated". They each have memorable female characters, a vivid sense of place and are what I call 'stir the soup' stories -i.e. one continues to turn the pages while tending to the stove with the other. A slight warning, the way they are written, there are overlong passages in the beginning which can be skimmed over until the action resumes later. These parts can be skipped without any loss to the overall stories. (Do any publishers employ editors these days; I think not.)

Lily and the Octopus. And I already know this is a really bad idea.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Speaking of bad ideas and behemoths, I’m very, very slowly working my way through Karl ove knausgard's My Struggle. It’s 6 long ass autobiographical novels.

I’m still on volume 1 but it’s geat so far in an intense, voyeuristic kind of way. When the book came out there was a big controversy in Norway and some of the family members and friends in the books claimed he was lying/distorting the truth and his ex wife publicly said she felt violated. There was a stink over the name too, for being so close to mein kampf. I was skeptical (this had the potential to be insufferable) but so far (well, only 1/6 of the way through the whole series lol), it’s surprisingly good.
    I’ve been alternating between that and some lighter stuff like Tina fey's book, which is pretty funny and a very easy read.
    Waterslide and manningmsj like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I started the first one...I loved it. But then, with everything that was going on this past year, it was too much for me at the time. I hope to pick it back up again when I'm focused though.

And yes, I had someone ask me on Facebook why I was reading Mein Kampf and we were kidding about it and I said "Not the Hitler one!" ...she told me I should just say that as part of the title. Lol. Anyway, I agree, I thought it was going to be pretentious AF but it's more like reading a friend's journal.
    sputnik likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

BECOMING Michelle Obama. Like it, would have loved it if it was less detailed and repetitive. I really admire Michelle but I am at a point that, I get it, you were/are smart, your patents are amazing working class people -although for me they sound yes amazing bu more (lower) middle class) . I really really wanted to love this book a lot more

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread Information