Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I finlly read Twilight, and while Meyer is not the best writer, she tells a great story. I liekd the book so much that I think the casting for the movie is completely WRONG. I now know I will never be watching the movie, since I've read the book. How on earth could anyone think that hideous scarecrow Pattinson would be a good Edward, not to mention that pug-faced skank playing Bella. Ugh.

I can't wait to start on New Moon.
    I think Kristen is perfect. She's pretty, but not outstandingly so, and that's how I imagine Bella. Just a slightly above average looking girl.

^They are very entertaining books. As long as I'm entertained than it's all good. I also enjoyed the movie... I'm easily entertained.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

If someone had told me beforehand the movie was a satirical spin on the book rather than a serious adaptation, I would have had the BEST time.

It's hilarious if you watch it as a comedy. I, however, watched it as a huge Twilight fan and almost cried through sheer embarassment. It was cringeworthy to watch, I must have missed about 30 minutes of the film by cringing at my friend next to me.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    If someone had told me beforehand the movie was a satirical spin on the book rather than a serious adaptation, I would have had the BEST time.

It's hilarious if you watch it as a comedy. I, however, watched it as a huge Twilight fan and almost cried through sheer embarassment. It was cringeworthy to watch, I must have missed about 30 minutes of the film by cringing at my friend next to me.
    I laughed so hard at the theater, I think people around me hated me. They are all Twifans. I was dragged to the movie by my friends.

Okay originally I had no intention of ever buying into this Twilight shit...even after hearing Robert Pattinson (who I adored as Cedric!) was cast as Edward I promised myself I would never see the movie or read the books.

See, Harry Potter is the only series in my heart...nothing will ever replace it.

Well, my best friend...out of hype and curiosity convinced me to go see Twilight with her. What could it hurt, right?

Well, that was a HUGE mistake because god damn it! All of those hot, sexy vampires!

Edward Jasper Carlisle Emmett James

I mean...holy fucking hell! Talk about a visual orgasm!!!

So like little school girl's we giggled and fanned ourselves throughout the entire movie and were in 'love'.

It was a very Twilight Christmas. I bought Twilight for her and myself and then she bought me New Moon.

Jesus...where do I start? I'm not even finished with the series and it's horrible. I'm half-way through New Moon and it is BAD. Just as bad as Twilight was! Which, I wouldn't be in this mess if I'd have stayed strong and true to myself by not seeing the movie...then I would have never read the books. And once I start a series it's some OCD shit that I can't leave it unfinished! Grrrr!

::SPOILERS!!!::

IF YOU ARE LURKING AND HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS DO NOT CONTINUE READING!!!

I mean, could Bella get any more annoying!?? The answer: YES! She is a pathetic excuse for a 'heroine' and is a disgrace to all young girls and women everywhere! She's taken the whole idea of males and females being equal and bitch slapped it! I mean, she's selfish, obsessive and co-dependent. So she falls in love with the 'mysterious, bronzed haired boy' and declares her love for him even after he tells her TO HER FACE that he had wanted (and even planned in his head) to kill her!

She is willing to ignore all of her friends and father who care for her because she's too busy sulking about the 'loss' of her vampire boyfriend...and she basically turns into a zombie in a comatose like state for months and only snaps out when she finds another boy who is in love with her that she can obsess over and use solely for the purpose of forgetting the other boy...wtf?!!

Putting herself AND possibly a friend in dangers way JUST to hear her ex boyfriend's voice in her head...oh, and CALLING the new love interest EVERY 30 minutes until 11 o'clock at night in a single day!?!!

LOCK THIS GIRL UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY!

I mean, I hate the fact that she's SO clumsy too...nothing wrong with being clumsy (I am!) but can anyone really be THAT clumsy? To the point where being in gym class with a badminton racket is possibly fatal to someone else and results in multiple whacks to the head, and walking is almost impossible to do without a trip to the ER...I mean, c'mon!!!

Also, the fact that she's supposed to be 'oh so plain' and lackluster compared to Edward and yet on her first day in a completely new school in a new state nearly EVERY guy wants to date her!

Honestly, these books so far have come off like they are straight from the pages of some angst ridden, preteen emo girl's diary!

It's like BADLY written fan fiction! (I should know...I write fan fiction but it is of a higher quality than this shit!)

Ugh...it's almost painful to think about...I wish I had the strength to stay away from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn...but I'm a masochist, what can I say? And part of me is curious to see HOW much worse it can possibly get...

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

I think readers are incredibly harsh towards Bella. She's just a regular girl at the end of the day, and if the man of your dreams arrives in your boring little beige life, you're gonna be swept off your feet. Edward and Bella were made for each other, and in each other they find real, true love...that doesn't come along every day.

So, I don't blame her for throwing everything up in the air when she falls in love with Edward. And I've been there, when you can't be with him, and that's all you want, and it leaves a huge, gaping hole inside your chest where your heart used to be. I don't blame her for leaning on Jake, because everybody needs a friend when their true love disappears and you think it's never coming back

With regard to everybody fancying her, at the end of the day beauty is subjective. When she was in Phoenix she just blended into the background because she was eclipsed by so many beauties in her city. In Forks, there are only like 300 kids in her school, so when somebody who is sort of averagely pretty arrives she's gonna seem more attractive than she did in Pheonix, because there are less hotties to compare her to! And Edward's attraction to her is more about the fact that she smells awesome and she clicks with him, and as he grows attracted to those things she becomes more attractive to him in other ways. It's how love works you're aware of the flaws of the other person, but they become less and less important as you love that person more.

Phew I'm wordy today!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Seriously, I think you all are putting to much thought into these books. Just like anything in life some will love them and some will hate them.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

i agree that bella is a pathetic excuse for a heroine. i mean, really, what is this, 1950? is there anything to her other than her love for edward? anything resembling an actual personality?
    it's actually kind of insulting. i can't stand female characters like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Everything i hear about this character sounds fucking pathetic. Her bloodsucker BF sounds like an abusive shitbrain and she accepts it cuz he's 'hot'.

Really? Nice role model.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I can't help but love the books for all the flaws though. I agree Bella is an 'empty' character, but I guess that is Meyer's intention so all the teenage girls can project their own personalities onto her and be like 'OMG Bella is meeeeee!'

I can't help but love the books for all the flaws though. I agree Bella is an 'empty' character, but I guess that is Meyer's intention so all the teenage girls can project their own personalities onto her and be like 'OMG Bella is meeeeee!'
    That's the reason for her clumsiness too, almost all teenagers are very clumsy and most of all they feel clumsy.

Then again I don't know why she should be a role model, she's just a character, there are people out there with her empty personality. I can see why someone like that would love to fall in love with a dangerous character, the need to sacrifice oneself is also a trait these empty personalities have.

Quote Originally Posted by karistiona View Post
    I think readers are incredibly harsh towards Bella. She's just a regular girl at the end of the day, and if the man of your dreams arrives in your boring little beige life, you're gonna be swept off your feet. Edward and Bella were made for each other, and in each other they find real, true love...that doesn't come along every day.

So, I don't blame her for throwing everything up in the air when she falls in love with Edward. And I've been there, when you can't be with him, and that's all you want, and it leaves a huge, gaping hole inside your chest where your heart used to be. I don't blame her for leaning on Jake, because everybody needs a friend when their true love disappears and you think it's never coming back

With regard to everybody fancying her, at the end of the day beauty is subjective. When she was in Phoenix she just blended into the background because she was eclipsed by so many beauties in her city. In Forks, there are only like 300 kids in her school, so when somebody who is sort of averagely pretty arrives she's gonna seem more attractive than she did in Pheonix, because there are less hotties to compare her to! And Edward's attraction to her is more about the fact that she smells awesome and she clicks with him, and as he grows attracted to those things she becomes more attractive to him in other ways. It's how love works you're aware of the flaws of the other person, but they become less and less important as you love that person more.

Phew I'm wordy today!
    I am only expressing my own personal opinion...so I mean no harm and/or offense to anyone!

I can understand why it seems readers are harsh to Bella...but how can people not be? Yes she's just your average teenage girl...until Edward comes along and flips her world upside down. I mean, I honestly gave her a chance! I wanted to like her! I really, truly did...and there is NOTHING wrong with the fact that she met a mysterious, loner who didn't give any other girls the time of day- who swept her off her feet and brought a little excitement into her bland life but it got to the point where she became unhealthily obsessed with him. I mean, if you think about it their relationship is just that, unhealthy.

Well, I can understand throwing everything else up in the air when you first begin seeing someone...I'm sure most of us are guilty of that at times but Bella is just...co-dependent. To the point where she literally can't think of anything else but him if he's absent for a week or two and then becomes a depressed, 'needs to be on suicide watch' recluse when he leaves her and pushes away everyone she loves because she can't have what she wants...she just seems so weak minded and has no personality and lacks having a mind of her own.

And believe it or not, Bella actually redeemed herself in my eyes when she started to hang out with Jacob! I liked her! I really did! I was thinking, "Wow, awesome Bella's not being all emo! Hurrah!" But then...she gets annoying again, because she's simply using Jacob! And as I mentioned before...she becomes obsessed with him, latches onto him in an unhealthy way not only for her, but for him because in the back of his mind he most likely believes he'll have a shot with her one day when it is very clear to her that she still only wants Edward. I'm sorry but when she mentions in the book that she called him every half hour until 11 p.m. in a single day my eyes bugged out of my head and I almost choked on my dinner...WHAT!? That is INSANE. To me, she just comes off as someone who is mentally unstable and who would easily 'snap' and become a notorious serial killer if anything else pushes her over the edge...

It's true that beauty is subjective and it is also very true that in Phoenix she was just 'another face in the crowd' but still...I just am annoyed with the fact that Meyer is trying to get us to believe that Bella is no 'beauty' when it's quite obvious that there's something attractive about her. I mean, hello...if even the gorgeous, physically flawless vampire prince Edward is digging her then she's definitely no Janet Reno! I mean, in other words...I'm not saying it's annoying that Bella isn't a plain jain...but don't make her seem as if she is when she's clearly not! That's just a nitpick I have with the author. I agree though that as you get to know someone and base your attraction to them on things other than physical looks that you connect on a deeper level and their flaws become less noticable...but for some reason, in this book...that whole idea doesn't work for me.

Would Bella have been so intrigued with Edward if he didn't look like some sort of god carved out of marble? And I mean, could she mention his looks any more? I mean, we get it! He's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i agree that bella is a pathetic excuse for a heroine. i mean, really, what is this, 1950? is there anything to her other than her love for edward? anything resembling an actual personality?
    it's actually kind of insulting. i can't stand female characters like this.
    Well see, this is my main problem with her...there is NOTHING wrong with her being in love with Edward but to the point where he is literally ALL that matters in her life...that doesn't fly with me.

Lol, I agree about the whole tweeny-bopper girls 'projecting' themselves into Bella...but jesus, am I glad I can honestly say that I am NOTHING like her! *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by Ahti View Post
    That's the reason for her clumsiness too, almost all teenagers are very clumsy and most of all they feel clumsy.

Then again I don't know why she should be a role model, she's just a character, there are people out there with her empty personality. I can see why someone like that would love to fall in love with a dangerous character, the need to sacrifice oneself is also a trait these empty personalities have.
    Eh, nothing wrong with being clumsy...I'm very clumsy but I just think that Stephanie Meyer portrays her clumsiness to the point where it's overwhelmingly unrealistic...until I meet someone as clumsy OR clumsier than Bella in real life, then I will stand by this.

I agree with what you said about her being a role model...I personally think she's highly inappropriate to be a role model for young girls but then again there are really people out there with as bland and empty personalities as Bella...I would just hope they're not also co-dependent and obsessive like she is! Yikes!

I definitely could NOT be friends with a real life Bella...

On a positive note, however...I do love Alice, Jasper and Jacob!

Meyer developed and wrote those characters well.

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

I like Alice, Jasper and Jacob too. I also like Edward, but more for his charisma rather than his moral stand point. I hate re-reading Twilight now when he is all like 'you shouldn't be my friend' and all that bollocks. I'd tell him to either stfu and hang out with me, or just buggar off period.

Also, I refuse to read Breaking Dawn. Meyer should have ended the series at Eclipse. I like the idea of Jacob constantly pining for Bella, it ruins the whole Team Edward/Jacob shizz if he (I've written the next bit in white for those who haven't read/read spoilers of Breaking Dawn)

imprints on Bella and Edward's queer-named kid Renesmee. I don't want everyone to be happy! It's real life. Jacob loses half of his purpose if he isn't a pull for Bella.

Breaking Dawn is actually good, the whole middle part of the book is Jacob which is weird, but on second reading I really enjoyed it. And really, the whited out part *had* to happen, Meyer had been setting that up since Twilight!! At the end of the day it's her story, and if she wants a happy ending then so be it. I liked it, once I got over the OMG'ness of what happens in BD.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

That is exactly how it came off, as a spoof on the book.
    When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information