Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer

Hit By Ban Bus!

as a reader of both series of books what sets them apart is J.K. Rowling is a better writer.

Mayer is a romance writer with a few good ideas. Her books are for chicks only and teen chicks at that.

Renesme? All time most stupid name.
    200 pages for a battle scene that never takes place and no one dies.

My sister hates me cause I don't like the Twilight book so far. I've read half of it, and I find it stupid that this girl falls in love with Edward knowing he's a Vampire, but she only does so because he's hot. I'm sorry, but being a vampire is a dealbreaker for me.

Well, the thing I like about the Twilight books is that they're basically about real, true, unstoppable, crazy, inconvenient and glorious love. Bella falls in love with Edward despite knowing what he is, because she loves him, and not what he is. I don't think it's so much a case of her finding him super hot, but that they're like two halves of a whole despite all their better judgement.

Just finished Breaking Dawn and I loved the books. The second one had me in absolute floods of tears, dredged up memories from way back when and i could completely empathise with Bella. My favourite is still Twilight though, it's just absolutely magical.

I'd like to see Jacqueline Carey get a hold of Edward for a few literary moments
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by karistiona View Post
    Well, the thing I like about the Twilight books is that they're basically about real, true, unstoppable, crazy, inconvenient and glorious love. Bella falls in love with Edward despite knowing what he is, because she loves him, and not what he is. I don't think it's so much a case of her finding him super hot, but that they're like two halves of a whole despite all their better judgement.

Just finished Breaking Dawn and I loved the books. The second one had me in absolute floods of tears, dredged up memories from way back when and i could completely empathise with Bella. My favourite is still Twilight though, it's just absolutely magical.

I'd like to see Jacqueline Carey get a hold of Edward for a few literary moments
    I'm on book number 3 and I only started the series a week ago. Yeah..I'm addicted. I agree 100% about the 2nd book.. I had a lump in my throat for half the book. I also agree that so far none of the books have the same feel as the first book!

As far as similarities.. I think Meyer must have read some of Charlaine Harris's book.. lots of "idea sharing" there!

LOL aella, thanks for another great article. that's really funny. and while rowling is no shakespeare, she's a good writer. i couldn't make it past the beginning of twilight without feeling my lunch starting to come up.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Lol Sputnik you kinda just have to go with it until Edward and Bella get to the meadow, that's where the magic happens.

i'm still debating whether or not to read twilight in this lifetime.

on the one hand, i'm curious to see what the hype is all about. i have a friend who really raves about this book but i don't usually agree with his literary choices.

on the other hand, i don't want to plow through more than 400 pages of a vampire romance novel. the storyline seems to be taken straight out of a typical shojo manga. maybe if an abridged version would get published, i'd read that.

Lol Sputnik you kinda just have to go with it until Edward and Bella get to the meadow, that's where the magic happens.
    why, does meyer's writing magically improve at the meadow?
    plus, i just hate the whole religion-disguised-as-love-story undertones. it all sounds like some kind of stupid metaphor about the dangers or pre-marital sex.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hehe well I don't hate Meyer's writing style to be perfectly honest, she's not the world's most amazing writer, but it's the story that I got hooked on.

I know a lot of people said that about the whole no-sex-before-marriage thing, but that's definitely not what I took from the books. Everyone will interpret differently I guess, but I enjoyed the love story .

I'd still like an Edward

Yeah, that's the part I left off at. I wanted to puke my guts out.

my friend loaned me the first book after dragging me to the movie.
    before going in for the movie, i didnt know much of the story except vampires are involved.

since this is the book section i'll talk only about the book. it didnt take long to finish. im not saying it was captivating or anything like that but it was a relatively easy read.

im fine with the plot but damn the writing is bad. i had to put it down and laughed.

maybe im not the target audience. but then i also didnt think i'd fall for this when i was in my teens either.

i do not like things that comes in series. now i HAVE to finish the rest of the books. this is like a carwreck. it's awful but u keep on looking.

Aww I feel bad for Stephenie Meyer, Twilight was her first book, and although the writing in parts was a bit dodgy I found the story absolutely gripping. I guess i'm just one of those people who focusses more on the story and the characters and feelings, rather than the caliber of writing (within reason!).

Stephanie Meyer is no Jane Austen, but I enjoyed reading her novels nonetheless. I don't feel bad for her, she's certainly been well paid and she even had a cameo in Twilight.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

On first read, I liked Twilight and Eclipse equal amounts (a lot) and thought New Moon was pretty slow and dry.

I've tried reading Twilight again, and for some reason I just can't. It seems contrived, and Bella is embarassing all...the...time. I think the magic of Edward Cullen is not as powerful second time round. Or because I now know Edward and Jacob in depth I can't be bothered reading the 'build up'. I need some Team Ed/Jacob moments!

So I've skipped straight to New Moon for a second read. I'm going to guess I'll much prefer it this time.

The film really messed up my mindset. Reading the books I was so, so, so Team Edward, ardently so. I thought Jacob was a prick. But after seeing the movie it made me appreciate Jacob - TayTay Lautner is such a cutie! Interesting to see whether that carries to the New Moon film.

I finlly read Twilight, and while Meyer is not the best writer, she tells a great story. I liekd the book so much that I think the casting for the movie is completely WRONG. I now know I will never be watching the movie, since I've read the book. How on earth could anyone think that hideous scarecrow Pattinson would be a good Edward, not to mention that pug-faced skank playing Bella. Ugh.

I can't wait to start on New Moon.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information