Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer

I'm glad to hear that is good. I'm hopefully going this weekend to see it.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

the FX effects are a bit cheesy at times, but it did not have a huge special effects budget, so whaddaya expect.

The chemistry between the leads is palpable, the music fits well and they made me smile at their awkward sexual attraction.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Hit By Ban Bus!

oh gosh Robs singing in the sound tracks is bad,, really bad.

Rotten Tomatoes is giving it a bad score. To bad they didn't spend more money on the movie than they are promoting it.

I'll wait for the DVD

Just got back from seeing Twilight... I enjoyed it and will probably buy the DVD when it comes out.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    this is like The OC meets a vampire story.
    So glad I"m not the only one who sees the OC parallels with Twilight.

I was lent this book by a friend who raved on about it, having been introduced to it by her year 8 english class. I read it all in one hit - it is a very easy and enjoyable read.

But is it good?

Nah. It's corny, it's cheesy, it's a blatant endless fantasy of the author. But it's entertaining, and I like it.

I reserve my right to laugh hysterically at the unintentionally funny parts of the book and coming movie. Doesn't mean I don't like it... it just means I recognise it has many, many literary failings!

It really is the OC of books: it's rubbish, I know it's rubbish, but I still really like it! It's fun, fabulous and easy to relax into.

Eli

Hahaha it's also like The OC because only the first season (book) out of the four is good.

I heard it was shockingly bad, and that was from someone who liked the book which automatically means their taste is suspect.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I heard it was shockingly bad, and that was from someone who liked the book which automatically means their taste is suspect.
    cost 37 mil to make and has made back 67 mil as of Sunday.
    It's the first movie from a new studio, no name actors except for the bit player Cedric Diggory from Goblet of Fire. Target the teens, like Clueless. I'm not sure what they spent the 37 mil on b/c they say the CGI is wack and the acting is worse.

I liked the book Twilight but there are way better paranormal romance books out there. Twilight is a chick book, Mayer can't do gore, she's into the romance part only. Books are OK but the last book (Breaking Dawn) sucked big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Hahaha it's also like The OC because only the first season (book) out of the four is good.
    lawls.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Robert Pattinson can rest easy - the sequel to his new film Twilight has been confirmed.
    The first day sales of the vampire movie has helped the second book in the series, New Moon, get approved.
    "I don't think any other author has had a more positive experience with the makers of her movie adaptation than I have had with Summit Entertainment," Stephenie Meyer, author of the best-selling series, said in a statement to MTV News.
    "I'm thrilled to have the chance to work with them again on New Moon."
    Twilight has been a huge hit Stateside, selling out at cinemas in its opening weekend. The film took in $7 million at midnight screenings, and then $35.7 million on November 21, taking in money reported to be more than three times of last week's box office winner, Quantum Of Solace.
    According to MTV News, this means Twilight is second to only Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire in terms of biggest opening-day gross for a non-summer release.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Robert Pattinson can rest easy - the sequel to his new film Twilight has been confirmed

It means Pattinson can afford to be extremely picky in between 'Twilight' sequels. I hope his agent doesn't try to involve him in any films co-starring Angelina Jolie or Nicole Kidman
    The way Rob treated Heidi Klum on Leno makes me think that he isn't star-struck and desperate thank god!
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Quote Originally Posted by TonjaLasagna View Post
    The way Rob treated Heidi Klum on Leno makes me think that he isn't star-struck and desperate thank god!
    I'll have to look for a clip on this on Youtube.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Eli

So in the last few days I picked up Eclipse to retry. Up to page 105. Annoyed. It's just goes on and on like nothing I've ever read before. There's a 10 page conversation between Bella and Jacob that I just don't care about! The scene tells us what we already know. I can't read this anymore. I miss the first book's feel.
    On the plus side I read this quote somewhere and it made me giggle:

I masturbated with the books. All of them at once.
    ~ Fan girl

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    So in the last few days I picked up Eclipse to retry. Up to page 105. Annoyed. It's just goes on and on like nothing I've ever read before. There's a 10 page conversation between Bella and Jacob that I just don't care about! The scene tells us what we already know. I can't read this anymore. I miss the first book's feel.
    On the plus side I read this quote somewhere and it made me giggle:

I masturbated with the books. All of them at once.
    ~ Fan girl

if Jacob bores you now wait until Breaking Dawn....... yawn

I found a great blog post contrasting the reasons for the popularity of Twilight versus the Harry Potter book series and it hits pretty much every one of my gripes with this craptastic trilogy:

The Politics of Wizards and Vampires

Twilight, the movie, comes out this week. It is based upon the bestselling novel by Stephenie Meyer, and, like the book, is said by many to be the “next Harry Potter,” meaning it is the first young-reader book series to come close to the astronomical sales of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. Meyer still has a lot of catching up to do, having sold “just” 17 million books worldwide, compared to Rowling’s 400 million.

While both sets of books deal with children and their adventures with the supernatural, that is where the similarities end. Potter is aimed at a slightly younger demographic (9 to 12) and is loved by boys and girls alike; Twilight appeals mostly to older girls (14 to 19) and their sexually frustrated mothers.

The most startling difference between Twilight and Potter, however, is not demographical; it is ideological.

Put simply, Rowling and Potter live on the left; Meyer and Edward dwell on the right.

Both sets of books are popular in the United States, but I believe it is for drastically different reasons, however subconsciously those reasons may reside. Just as the nation continues to more of less split into the red and the blue (with high hopes that our President-elect can change this), the fundamentalist and the forward-thinking, so too does the world of children’s literature.

In the character of Harry Potter, and in the characters of his friends, teachers and associates, Rowling has created an essentially progressive “green” (and possibly agnostic) universe where people and wizards are good and kind by nature. Here, compassion and goodness are the norm, and students are taught to be ever-watchful for those few among them who make the unusual and shocking choice to be bad.

Harry is a goofy, bespectacled everyman, a reluctant geek of a hero who is out for the collective good of his community. He is champion of the little guy, the discriminated against, and the outcast. He basks little - if at all - in his own glory, and often shrinks from attention. He is frequently aided by animals and nature, because he is a respectful part of the natural world, which is perfect and loving.

By contrast, the lead male character in the Twilight series is Edward, a “vegetarian” vampire. Edward is heroic not because he is good by nature, but rather because he makes the choice to be good, against all his “natural” instincts. In this way, Twilight is the ideological polar opposite of Potter.

Edward, like all vampires, is by nature sinful - a human-killer. But with incredible effort and an endless thirst, he manages to live off the blood of “inferior” animals, a nod both to the Bible and to the assumed superiority of human beings in the natural order. In the Twilight universe, as in many fundamentalist religions, the default state of the soul is to be sinful, and the challenge of its characters is to be led not into temptation. To be saved from their evil natures.

Both books deal with the notion of heredity and ancestry, but they treat it very differently. In the Twilight books, fate is determined by birthright. In the Potter books, birthright is presented as purely a social construct designed to oppress. Think Jacob and the Native American werewolves in Twilight, doomed to their fate through blood ties, versus Hermione and the other ‘half bloods’ or children of ‘muggles’ at Hogwarts, who are continually shown to be deserving of their place at the school in spite of elitist snobbery from Malfoy et al.

No surprise, then, that Rowling herself is a progressive. She was a single mother when she wrote the first Potter book, living on welfare. Now estimated to be worth $1.1 billion, she gives massively to progressive causes the world over. No surprise, either, that her books terrify Christian fundamentalists. Potter books have been banned by many far-right Christian groups.

No surprise, either, that Meyer is a devout Mormon, a graduate of Brigham Young University who says on her Web site that her religion colors everything she writes. She describes herself as “very religious,” and her series ends with the female protagonist, all of 18, marrying Edward, becomming a vampire, and bearing his monster child.

There are many examples of Mormon theology flooding Meyer’s work, some of it racist against Native Americans, Latin Americans and anyone with dark skin, much of it sexist in the sense that Bella does not exist but to love Edward. (Meyer’s adult novel, The Host, is essentially a retelling of the Book of Mormon, set against a sci-fi backdrop.) The constant criticism the Twilight books have received is that Bella is not much of a character; there is no core to her, other than her adjective-laden obsession with the vampire.

By contrast, the main female character in the Potter books is painted as the smartest pupil in school, devoted to her studies, assertive and opinionated; again and again Hermione is said to be the brightest witch of her generation, destined for greatness. It is unthinkable that Hermoine would go the Meyer route, and drop out of school to marry Ron and bear his child at 18.

It will be interesting to see which book and series, and which ideology, comes out on top.

At the moment, US bestseller lists fabulously are dominated by Meyer. The movie will certainly help push the books more. However, as of this writing, Obama is our next president, and Rowling is still far out ahead.
    But, every good wizard or progressive knows, we must be ever-watchful for that to change.

source: The Politics of Wizards and Vampires at Racialicious - the intersection of race and pop culture
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information