Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer

These books gave me two afternoons of solid laughs. I do occasionally like my brain pop-corn, but these...Harlequin vampire novels take 'trashy' and 'badly written' to a whole new level. And yet for some reason, I couldn't put them down-trainwreck entertainment!

I mean, the melodrama! The flat, fake, 'no purpose or personality beyond the the romance' characters! The utter lack of plot. The obvious lack of an editor (forget the abuse of adverbs or aversion to the 'said' dialog tag. At one point, a character is given 'free reign', no joke!). The sparkly vampires!

This is indeed every 13-year-old girl's wet dream, and apparently helps readers get in touch with their inner 13-year-old. Mind you, it also reads as written by someone in that age range, which is a whole other issue.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Eli

I am sort of with you. I actually like this form of writing; it was meant to be a 17 yo's perspective. The book was utterly addictive until I suddenly realised, all they dod was say to each other how beautiful the other one was. The hunter vampire story came in 100 towards the end. What a rush.

New Moon is vastly overdramatic and just plain boring to be honest.

No one here has claimed it's great literature. These books are quick, engaging and escapist reads with very little in common with reality.

Allie, I agree about New Moon - it's definitely not the best of the three. Eclipse in my opinion is much better.

Elite Member

I agree, the books are fun to read. Beyond corny, but fun. I ended up reading all 3 back to back. This of course is after I told my best friend I was not going to read a book about a teenage romance & vampires. Little did I know - I got sucked right in. Can't wait until #4 in August

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    ^^ Check it out... about the Twilight film set. I really don't agree with the Edward actor choice...

The Twilight Set Visit
    me neither there is a french guy that tragicallyflawed has in her avvy, is who i picture Edward to ]be.. oh and Jacob should be Steven Strait... period.. I am disappointed.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Eli

Hey how come everybody imagined that French guy as Edward? Is that like just a huge fluke or did somebody mention him one day and it caught on. Like that Aussie girl from Lemony Snicketts as Bella.

I just saw her avvie on the Angelina thread and that is who I pictured, I just learned today that Cedric friggin Diggory is gonna be Edward.. ughh!

I just read all three books yesterday and today I am so hooked.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Quote Originally Posted by mistify View Post
    Cedric friggin Diggory

I adore Robert Pattinson. He seems so nice, normal and I enjoy his accent.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

^^I like him too, Tonja. Robert is the perfect Edward to me. I'm not sure an All American looking guy would work in the role. Edward has other worldly beauty and old world mannerisms that I think Robert will pull off brilliantly.

I'm looking forward to the movie - it's going to be savaged by the critics but I think the chemistry between Robert and Kristen will make the movie enjoyable.

Eli

So over the Twilight series. #2 was pitiful, I actually stopped with 80 pages to go. Just... blah blah blah.
    Trying The Host. The same pretentious moaning. "Human love destroys our alien souls! Who knew love was so powerful!"

Silver Member

I've read Twilight and boy was it bad. Hated Bella. She is the most spineless, whinny and annoying "heroine" that I've ever came across. I can see the books' appeal - forbidden romance, star-crossed lovers, an "ordinary" girl who is in fact beautiful and is love by everybody. Bella is utterly Mary Sue and the writing resembled internet fanfiction. Aella's post was spot on in it assessment of the series.

And while no one here has claimed that it's great literature, it has been getting critical acclaims (mind-boggling IMO). I read an article where the author compared Bella to Jane Eyre, Edward to Heathcliff and Meyer's writing to Jane Austen. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

ComicCon's biggest hit is 'Twilight' with the biggest turnout and fans sleeping in line for days prior to win a ticket to see a few scenes and meet the cast. There's a youtube vid on the URL page below in which Robert talks about his undies.....sigh......

Boxers or briefs? 'Twilight' star Robert Pattinson answers | Hero Complex | Los Angeles Times
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Eli

What can I say? They're a little bit freaky.

These books were such a trashy read for me. I had a nice, shlock-filled couple hours.

I think they will translate to screen well. In fact, they may very well be better, letting another writer take the story elements in hand. I have to say I am a fan Cedric Diggory, even if he is stoned for interviews. (and maybe because he is!)

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information