Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Susan Powter's "Stop The Insanity"

She's still around:-

www.myspace.com/susanpowterlivecom

Her no-fat vegan diet is similar to Dr MacDougall's:-

McDougall Program & McDougall Health Center

which some people swear by. I always feel starving on this diet though.

She still sells books and exercise videos. I think her come-backs fail cos she comes across as so abrasive and annoying!

Wow, her page is huge. My crappy work puter just caint do it!
    She looks awful imo.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoog View Post
    Her no-fat vegan diet is similar to Dr MacDougall's:-

McDougall Program & McDougall Health Center

which some people swear by. I always feel starving on this diet though.
    I've been McDougalling for about twelve years now due to peripheral artery disease and rheumatoid arthritis. I love it ... imo, the easiest and healthiest way to eat. I eat more than anyone I know and I'm thin as a rail.

Thank you, Dr. McDougall. I <3 you bunches and bunches!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I've been McDougalling for about twelve years now due to peripheral artery disease and rheumatoid arthritis. I love it ... imo, the easiest and healthiest way to eat. I eat more than anyone I know and I'm thin as a rail.

What's the basic premise of the diet?

Hit By Ban Bus!

i don't think her lo-fat hi carb ideas were so great but she did write an interesting book making the connection between alcoholism (she is one) and sugar. i know she is out of the closet and still around. i do not see her as a snake oil saleswoman. i think she believed strongly what she was saying. she is all abot exercise as well. not just dieting.

Blast from the past! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    What's the basic premise of the diet?
    Extremely low-fat vegan ... no meat, no dairy, no eggs, no added fats like oil or margarine.

To most people who eat SAD [Standard American Diet], this sounds very restrictive, but once you get into, it really isn't. I have been eating this way for over a dozen years and I don't feel deprived in the slightest.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Extremely low-fat vegan ... no meat, no dairy, no eggs, no added fats like oil or margarine.

To most people who eat SAD [Standard American Diet], this sounds very restrictive, but once you get into, it really isn't. I have been eating this way for over a dozen years and I don't feel deprived in the slightest.
    why no olive oil? just curious. i would think you need some form of good fat. i agree, for me veganism is the best diet as well but i use lots of olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by doriangray View Post
    why no olive oil? just curious. i would think you need some form of good fat. i agree, for me veganism is the best diet as well but i use lots of olive oil.
    MYTH: "Vegetable oils are healthy."

Fact: Dr. John McDougall says: "Sadly, the myth that vegetable oil is health food isn't true choosing between dropping some butter or pouring some olive oil into your frying pan is, nutritionally speaking, like choosing whether you want to be shot or hanged. Here's why. All fats - saturated and unsaturated - are involved in the growth of certain kinds of cancer cells. Scientific research has consistently shown that a higher consumption of fats will produce a higher incidence of cancer. What's worse, the unsaturated fats in such highly touted vegetable oils as corn oil, safflower oil, and olive oil, and the margarines made from them, are the fats that most promote the growth of cancer. They're much better at this double-crossing deal than are the saturated fats that are so bad for your arteries and heart."

- The McDougall Program; 1990; John A. McDougall, M.D.; p. 41-42.

I do agree, and so does Dr. McDougall, that some fat is necessary in the human diet for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. The fat requirement, however, is fairly small. You can get all that you need through food sources such as avocado, nuts, and olives ... though you should use these in moderation, too. The advantage of fats in foods is that you are also getting the vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. Most oils bought in the supermarket have been highly processed and have zero nutritional value.

I haven't bought a bottle of oil in forever. I have no problems cooking without it and I don't miss it at all. In fact, when I first started McDougalling, oil was the easiest thing to give up! Now cheese was something else altogether ... *sigh*

Ahhh the power of cheese. When I tried to go vegan, cheese was the one thing I could not find a decent substitute for. I love it on most anything! So I went back to just being a non-meat eater. Besides plain yoghurt, cheese is my only dairy. Any suggestions on a soy substitute that tastes okay?

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Hit By Ban Bus!

yeah i used to like a good pound or so of sweaty cheese but now it just looks like a big block of snot to me
    does that help?

Hey, I found that website very interesting. I may have to try that!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I just saw her on "The Simple Life", she was there I think during the fat camp episode.

How did she look? Still with the dreads?
    Ya know, I did enjoy her show while it was on.
    It's so strange how one can be the talk of the town
    one minute, then poof, gone. I liked her, in the same way I like Roseanne. Although, I doubt I would be able
    to stand them in person for very long, lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information