Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King is full of shit

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
    Has anyone read Heart Shaped Box or Horns by his son Joe Hill?
    Yes, liked them both very much.

His stuff isn't really 'boogeyman' horror like his father's - more of a touch of magical realism, with some really sound psychological horror. The sort of stuff from the inside that is terrible to look at.

Horns has one particularly horrifying part - imagine if when you got around people they talked to you with absolutely no filters: they told you exactly what they were thinking. People you are closest to, unearthing the very worst things that they would normally keep to themselves: stuff about you, about themselves, about other people, and so on. There is a part where this guy is talking to his parents, grandmother and brother and I'm telling you - seeing the unfiltered underbelly of the minds of people you love is horrifying. He has that sort of horror down pat. It is heartbreaking to hear what his mother and father say to him.

The kicker? He finds a way to use this particularly horrible and painful 'gift' (along with his other 'gift') to figure out the mystery in the story.

20th Century Ghosts is a good collection as well.

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

My favourite tv/movie adaptation of a King book is Rose Red (about the house that keeps on building itself) if you haven't seen it yet, its on youtube in full. It's about the only film based on a book of Kings that is good from beginning to end.
    I also loved the film Johnny depp was in. Although the ending sucked.
    I used to read a lot of kings books and looked forward to new ones. But I haven't read a book of his in years. Shame cause he used to be my favourite author.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
    My favourite tv/movie adaptation of a King book is Rose Red (about the house that keeps on building itself) if you haven't seen it yet, its on youtube in full. It's about the only film based on a book of Kings that is good from beginning to end.
    I used to read a lot of kings books and looked forward to new ones. But I haven't read a book of his in years. Shame cause he used to be my favourite author.
    Maybe the only reason it is good is because it isn't based on a Stephen King book. He only wrote the script for the movie.

The latest book I have read by King was "Lisey's Story" and I loved it, even if it's different from the old stuff that made me fall in love with his writings.
    My favourite book is probably "IT", but I like most of his old stuff.

The movies adaptations that I most love are "Shining" and "Misery".

I have been playing "Alan Wake" recently, and that's a great videogames if you like King - it's basically a homage to King.

I've read very bad reviews about his books and even bad comments about him as a person, but I find more positive things in his book than the negative ones, so I still enjoy them a lot.
    I love the way he analyzes society and his writing style in general.

Also, this has to be the best quote ever:

People want to know why I do this, why I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy... and I keep it in a jar on my desk.

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

Quote Originally Posted by Frrx View Post
    Maybe the only reason it is good is because it isn't based on a Stephen King book. He only wrote the script for the movie.
    Ah that explains it then.
    (I thought it was based on a short story, not necessarily one of his novels though.)
    King has written a few scripts which often turn out like his book based movies, (jumping the shark at some point) but with Rose Red this didn't happen thankfully!!

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
    Secret Window? I loved that.

Carrie was good too.

I re-read The Shining for the first time in a long time, and I have to say as a kid that book scared me, and now that I'm older and a parent it scared me in entirely new ways. Still a great book.

Of all of his works, I seem to be one of the few people in the universe who just could not get into the Dark Tower books. I tried, but didn't finish the series.

The Talisman is probably still my top favorite, tied with It. I'd love to see a movie done that would do justice to The Talisman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frrx View Post

Secret Window is based on a novella by King. It's in Four Past Midnight. The ending was changed for the film.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I enjoyed the first 2 Dark Tower books.. they were such dreamstate books, very fluid and vague. I really enjoyed them.

After that, and after King got off the coke, they got pedestrian and dull.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Heart Shaped Box was excellent, I'd argue better than anything SK himself has written in the past 20 years. I still reference things from Heart Shaped Box and it's been a year since I read it.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

oh I loved The Secret Window! And I think The Green Mile is also a Stephen King? Loved the book and also the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by LucreziaBorgia View Post
    Yes, liked them both very much.

His stuff isn't really 'boogeyman' horror like his father's - more of a touch of magical realism, with some really sound psychological horror. The sort of stuff from the inside that is terrible to look at.

Horns has one particularly horrifying part - imagine if when you got around people they talked to you with absolutely no filters: they told you exactly what they were thinking. People you are closest to, unearthing the very worst things that they would normally keep to themselves: stuff about you, about themselves, about other people, and so on. There is a part where this guy is talking to his parents, grandmother and brother and I'm telling you - seeing the unfiltered underbelly of the minds of people you love is horrifying. He has that sort of horror down pat. It is heartbreaking to hear what his mother and father say to him.

The kicker? He finds a way to use this particularly horrible and painful 'gift' (along with his other 'gift') to figure out the mystery in the story.

20th Century Ghosts is a good collection as well.
    I saw these in the library and blew past them thinking that the kid was probably riding on daddy's coattails, but now I'll give him a shot.

Also, I assume I'm the only one who didn't know King was a cokehead?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I enjoyed the first 2 Dark Tower books.. they were such dreamstate books, very fluid and vague. I really enjoyed them.

After that, and after King got off the coke, they got pedestrian and dull.

I should have heeded this advice. I've read most of King except for the Dark Tower books and so I started in on them about 1-2 months ago. I adored The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three, but it really did go downhill after that. I quit about halfway through Wizard and Glass. I already knew the ending of the series and I'm going to have to go back and finish, but it'll be much more like assigned reading than pleasure reading.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

^ Yes, that's it exactly. Both books, especially the first, are very enigmatic. After that, a steep dive into the toilet bowl.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

we stayed in a rented cottage this summer and i found a book of his old short stories. the one with the monkey on the cover. it has the mist in it. some were very good but i can see how he grew as a writer.
    last weeks simpson episode made a reference to his nowel, under the dome and how it was a rip-off of the simpsons movie.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information