Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King is full of shit

His books usually translate very badly on screen. Interestingly, some of the best film adaptations have been of his non-horror books-The Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, the Apt Pupil (coincidentally, all three were short stories in his Four Seasons collections).

Contrast that to the craptastic film version of It. Ooh, a cheesy plastic spider, hold me! And don't even get me started on Pet Cemetary!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    His books usually translate very badly on screen. Interestingly, some of the best film adaptations have been of his non-horror books-The Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, the Apt Pupil (coincidentally, all three were short stories in his Four Seasons collections).

Contrast that to the craptastic film version of It. Ooh, a cheesy plastic spider, hold me! And don't even get me started on Pet Cemetary!
    I agree about the movies. My advice to anyone trying to get a taste of King would be to READ THE BOOK. I've been a King fan for a long time and have almost every book he's ever written. His books are sooooo much better than most of his movies. That's not to say that i don't also enjoy some of his movies, but THE BOOK IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THE MOVIE.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Contrast that to the craptastic film version of It. Ooh, a cheesy plastic spider, hold me! And don't even get me started on Pet

Cemetary!

The Mist was very scary. Carrie is a classic. But for the most part the movies made from his books seemed cheap and rushed. I actually saw Pet Sematary not long ago. I thought it was not bad.

^ Gage! He was the cutest baby ever.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

*sigh*

I remember reading It, and it was soooo spooky & scary. I couldn't wait to see what "It" was. And yeah, it was a spider. I was like, this is IT? That's IT? A fucking SPIDER? Oh, and then there was that lovely child gang bang in the sewer. Nice.

I despise Stephen King.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    *sigh*

I remember reading It, and it was soooo spooky & scary. I couldn't wait to see what "It" was. And yeah, it was a spider. I was like, this is IT? That's IT? A fucking SPIDER? Oh, and then there was that lovely child gang bang in the sewer. Nice.

I despise Stephen King.
    When I read the book I thought the spider was at least somewhat effective (In my defense, I was 13), especially the grossness of the mutual tongue biting. But the movie spider was a joke-I started giggling when they all stuck their hands in the fake-looking gore.

The child gang bang was, er, interesting.

I read a bunch of his books in my early teens and got major burnout. It's always something creepy happening in some little town. Usually in Maine. At the time I was thinking "Why do people LIVE there?". I wouldn't pick up a King book now.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Elite Member

My absolute favorite book by King is Bag of Bones. The Talisman, Needful Things, and The Eyes of the Dragon are my other favorites.

I sort of pick and choose the King books to read. Some of them appeal to me, some don't. I never read the Dark Tower series. I've probably read 60% of his books over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    My absolute favorite book by King is Bag of Bones. The Talisman, Needful Things, and The Eyes of the Dragon are my other favorites.

I sort of pick and choose the King books to read. Some of them appeal to me, some don't. I never read the Dark Tower series. I've probably read 60% of his books over the years.
    I loved Bag of Bones too. I liked a lot of King's books but I think he's pretty much tapped out. I loved his style of writing, the man is/was a hell of a storyteller. I can't really think of a movie that was made that was better than the book.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    I agree about the movies. My advice to anyone trying to get a taste of King would be to READ THE BOOK. I've been a King fan for a long time and have almost every book he's ever written. His books are sooooo much better than most of his movies. That's not to say that i don't also enjoy some of his movies, but THE BOOK IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THE MOVIE.

yes! I'm not his biggest fan but here in Maine, especially up north where he lives, they ADORE him. He gives a ton of money to schools and local charities and such. Never judge without reading the book, but I can understand he's not for everyone.

I once read a King interview where he said he writes about what he's afraid of for the endings.

I loved, loved, loved It. The book is a million times better than the movie. So much left out of the movie that was pertinent to the story line.

Quote Originally Posted by fatguyinalittlecoat View Post
    Didn't we tell you not to watch the Stand, Allie??? lol

Try the Dark Tower series, starting with The Gunslinger.

This may make me totally lame, but when I was in middle school I totally started looking to Dean Koontz for maybe not better writing but stories without someone farting, picking boogers, or pooping out aliens or whatever like in Dreamcatcher. My favorite from Dean Koontz is Fear Nothing. I'd recommend it if you want something similar to King's work but maybe not so juvenile.
    LOVE KOONTZ!!! The Bad Place and Twilight and the one about the little handicapped girl in the trailer park whose mother is a drug addict and her stepfather is a wierd cult/occult person and the neighbor woman saves her?? shit I can not remember the name it was really really good.

I do have to say about King though DELORES CLAIBORNE was an awesome movie I have watched it over and over.. I think the problems with some of the movies is that they are made for tv no big budgets or actors like the SHining and Carrie and Cujo.. His books well The Body and The APt Pupil were friggin awesome.. made awesome movies.. Stand By ME and The Apt Pupil (loved Brad Renfro and Magnito in it)
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Eli

Yeah I really like Carrie, and The Shining (especially the made-for-TV mini-series -- DAYAM!!). He shits me otherwise.

ew

the kubrick version was much better.. even with Jack "i just play myself in every movie" nicholson
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Most movies from his books turn out badly in my opinion. I had read the book a few times before I saw the movie "The Stand" and I was so pissed off. That and I fucking hate Molly Ringwald, worst choice EVER.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    I agree with Grimm, his older books are far better than the newer stuff. That being said, I haven't really read a ton of Steven King. I actually loved reading "The Eyes of the Dragon" when I was younger.

The movie version of "It" scared me to death when I first saw it. I still don't quite understand why my parents allowed me to watch that movie, I was 10 or 11!! Didn't love the book though.
    dolem, Eyes of the Dragon is tied to the Gunslinger series.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information