Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: SPOILER WARNING - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - discussion

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    DOES ALAN RICKMAN LOOKS LIKE HE'S IN HIS 30s TO ANYONE???
    Now now, being a double agent close to Lord Vol- I mean, he-who-must-not-be-named, has got to take its toll on a person!

We get no sign of Sirius having ever loved anyone (anyone female at least) but no one has any doubts he ever had sex. I'm sure he had plenty of bitches lined up.
    When you say "bitches" do you mean he was 'getting some' in his animagus form???

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Now now, being a double agent close to Lord Vol- I mean, he-who-must-not-be-named, has got to take its toll on a person!

When you say "bitches" do you mean he was 'getting some' in his animagus form???

Quote Originally Posted by DoveFeatheredRaven View Post
    What we found really annoying was that we didn't know what the kids grew up to do or be, other than able to procreate. Hermione was uber smart- what did she do? Uh, what about Draco and his family?
    Yeah, it really doesn't set a great example for kids - You'll all grow up, get married and start producing. This is the 21st century love... there are these things called CAREERS.

We haven't seen what adults DO to earn their galleons in the wizarding world, apart from an expansive and reasonably efficient public service (the Ministry of Magic). What do non-civil servants do? Where did the Potters, Malfoys etc get all their gold from?!

Bleurgh! Don't remind me! I hate him as Snape, he's all yours.

Snape is 36 at the end of the series (born in 1960). The end as in Deathly Hallows. That means he's 31 in Philosopher's Stone. DOES ALAN RICKMAN LOOKS LIKE HE'S IN HIS 30s TO ANYONE???
    As for Malfoy looking younger than Snape, Malfoy is around 6 years older than Snape. I guess either the movies suggest that this isn't true or we should guess that Lucius moisturises.
    That's so true. I love Rickman - his voice is perfect for Snape. But his physicality isn't... he's too old! So yeah... Lucius uses some good wrinkle cream apparently. It's like they put all their efforts into finding the right kids, but just couldn't be arsed when it came to the adults.
    Last edited by Sassiness; July 30th, 2007 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post

Well... whatever, my Snape looks nothing like Rickman though you could argue that since Snape and the Marauders all had pretty crap lives (Snape eaten by guilt and spying on Voldie, Sirius in Azkaban, Remus being a werewolf and Peter being a rat) they aged prematurely.

Heh, I used bitches on purpose. No clue whether they did get any as animals, probably did. And bet McGonagall is quite a hit as a kitty.

I have to chuckle over the age related arguments. We're willing to make the stretch that magic, an all that comes with it, exists in these books and movies but we're supposed to hold true to hiring actors who are the exact right age? LOL. Hell, I never once thought about how old Snape would be.

^^ I didn't either. Alan Rickman is so perfect for the role, the fact that he's 61 is irrelevant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    Snape in the movies is Alan Rickman. He'd get PLENTY from me
    Amen, sister.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

What do non-civil servants do? Where did the Potters, Malfoys etc get all their gold from?!
    They inherited it . That's my theory , rich pureblood families

J K Rowling answered fan questions about what happens after the books in much more detail here for anyone who is still curious: News: Transcript of JK Rowling web chat

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I don't think any death in this story is "gratuitous", everything has a purpose. It IS war after all, and it just shows that things like that happen in war and they make no sense. If it were only people we don't give a shit about, there would be no message relayed pertaining to the brutality of war, or to the value of making sacrifice for a worthy cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    ^^ I didn't either. Alan Rickman is so perfect for the role, the fact that he's 61 is irrelevant to me.

Amen, sister.
    Get out! He's 61? Crap.

Harry Potter - The Official Site has some great post book 6 interviews with Jo where she gives lots of information. It's worth a read.

I've started my second reading of the book. I missed a lot of stuff the first go 'round. After this, I'm going to read book one again. I've heard that clues to the last book are in the first book. I look forward to discovering them.

Maybe Snape and Lily had more of a relationship then what was written. After all, it is a children's book!

I'd like to have known what all careers they pursued especially Harry. And I hated that Fred died.. But glad to know Snape was good really. The epilogue was cheesy but cute.. I like how Harry named one of the children, Albus Severus!

I just still have a hard time understanding all that about Lily's sacrifice and how Voldemort killed him but really didn't kill him because he only killed the part of himself living in Harry and Harry's soul was all his own after that..that was so confusing! I went over that part billions of times..

Quote Originally Posted by carrie2008 View Post
    I'd like to have known what all careers they pursued especially Harry.

Rowling said in a few interviews she gave after the release that both Harry and Ron are Aurors now and Hermione is in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by carrie2008 View Post
    I just still have a hard time understanding all that about Lily's sacrifice and how Voldemort killed him but really didn't kill him because he only killed the part of himself living in Harry and Harry's soul was all his own after that..that was so confusing! I went over that part billions of times..
    I was confused as shit myself after reading and probably shouldn't explaining anything but I'll attempt.

When Voldemort tried to kill Harry for the first time, Lily's sacrifice protected Harry and Harry continued having this protection in him.
    Harry also had a piece of Voldemort's soul in him when Voldemort accidentally created a Horcrux when he tried to kill him.
    Now, what Voldie did that was monumentally stupid was take Harry's blood to resurrect himself at the end of Goblet of Fire. That means that both Voldemort and Harry shared the same blood which means they also shared Lily's sacrifice. Now, the sacrifice applied specifically to Harry which means that when Voldie AKed Harry, Lily's sacrifice prevented him from hurting Harry and he therefore killed only the part of him that was in Harry (the flayed looking newborn thingie in that David Lynch like sequence at King's Cross). I suppose that if Voldie didn't have Lily's sacrifice in him he would have killed both Harry and the part of himself though I'll admit that this part is somewhat confusing and convoluted.

I'm glad that Harry named a kid after Snape and he obviously forgave Snape for everything and realised the magnitude of his sacrifice and his bravery. A lot of other characters around Harry sacrificed his life and fought but Snape was much more effective, I think. And furthermore, JKR said in an interview that Harry told the world after the War what Snape's true allegiance had been and also insisted for a portrait of Snape to be made at Hogwarts.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information