Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 110

Thread: SPOILER WARNING - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - discussion

  1. #76
    Elite Member Karistiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    You know the part where Harry wakes up from his little sojourn to Platform 9 3/4, and it's talking about Bellatrix being on her knees and moaning...yeah...I thought for one wild second that she was um...servicing her master. I've only read it once, wasn't it alluded to right at the beginning that her and Voldemort were getting it on?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

  2. #77
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,410

    Default

    There's a lot of sexual undertones in the HP books but it's very subliminal so the kiddies don't get it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  3. #78
    Elite Member Bellatheball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    ^^ A*O, I'm confused, didn't you say you haven't read any of the books?

  4. #79
    Gold Member latinaforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    XOXO
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    love every minute of it-except the death of snape he was my favorite character.i agree with you guys that Alan Rickman made the character sexier.sad i also wanted know what happen to luna her father mr. and mrs. weasley to the business that george and fred had started.who did malfoy married and why is he not in prison and what of his parents???
    i think j.k is really smart-once she starts to run out of $$ she will print a book about this and make more billions
    and i will be right there with my money in hand waiting for my copy.
    Last edited by latinaforever; July 28th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
    When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain

  5. #80
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latinaforever View Post
    i think j.k is really smart-once she starts to run out of $$ she will print a book about this and make more billions
    and i will be right there with my money in hand waiting for my copy.
    Me too! That made me think about the other 'authors' who jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon analyzing each of the books then publishing their thoughts as though they had figured out what was going to happen. Not having ready any of them, I wonder just how many were close enough to what really occurred and how many were just filler seeking as much money as possible. Not that I'll ever buy one to find out I've always thought it rather silly to read them when JK herself would reveal everything.

  6. #81
    Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Lord Brit and I each read this book in one day and are going back and rereading it. Things we didn't like:

    1. Fred's death was just gratuitous. I also don't think she had to kill off Remus and Tonks. I get why she killed all three but it didn't have to be done. How much more powerful would it have been to have stupid Percy see the error of his ways and be reunited with his family only to be killed off? Much better than killing off poor Fred.

    2. Molly Weasley taking on Bellatrix was good and I get why JK did it BUT Neville should have been the one. This was the woman who tortured his parents into madness. Molly could have started it and done her whole "She is mine" speech only to have Neville finish her off. I am a huge Neville fan and love how he has stepped forward. On the hat and sword thing, didn't Dumbledore tell HP that it would take someone truly courageous to be able to pull the Gryffindor sword out of the hat in COS? Seems like he did after HP used it to kill the basilisk in Chamber of Secrets.

    3. Hagrid is too downplayed in the battle scene (and book, frankly). He is sort of buried under the spiders and the next scene is hostage by Voldermort and his gang? He just wasn't predominate enough considering he was HUGELY important in the earlier books.

    4. Ron and Hermione go off on their own to get a basiliks fang, she destroys the Hufflepuff cup Horocrux and this is all just mentioned as an afterthought. After what Ron went through destroying his, hers was just a breeze?? Didn't ring true to us. Too rushed.

    5. The business with Aberforth. It was just shoehorned in (as are many little details). I understand that HP seeing him in the mirror was to tease us throughout the novel with the idea that AD wasn't really dead. But it just felt like too neat of a resolution.

    6. The entire side story with the Deathly Hallows was wasted. When Harry "dies", it is just the part of Voldemort within him that dies. So HP is resurrected, as it were. However, we thought JK could have tied in the deathly hallows bit with HP getting the Elder Wand along with the other two bits and THIS is what allows him to live or continue. It allows him to defeat Voldy. I get that the whole dh part was just to make Dumbledore a more rounded character and explain things about him. It just felt like it was for nothing in the end when it could have been used more effectively.

    7. Ginny Weasley is kick ass. Why wasn't she used more effectively in the battle scenes?

    8. The epilogue: It was cheesy. I liked it, Lord Brit didn't. I was upset that we were not given any info about Luna. She is awesome! And upset that we weren't given much about Neville. What we found really annoying was that we didn't know what the kids grew up to do or be, other than able to procreate. Hermione was uber smart- what did she do? Uh, what about Draco and his family? And the last line- cheesy as hell!! C'mon!

    I think she is leaving it open, as she has hinted at recently, so there can be other books.

    Sorry this is so long. This is what happens to a person when they can't get cable hooked up for two weeks (Curses upon you, Comcast!!)

  7. #82
    Elite Member twitchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dancing on your grave!!!!
    Posts
    9,131

    Default

    9. Why was Hedwig in her cage for the flight from the Dursley's? Why not let her stretch her wings and send her to the Burrow or somewhere else safe?

    Dove, if you're looking for more info on what happens when they grow up, she gave details in an interview here: Exclusive: Finished ‘Potter’? Rowling tells what happens next - Wild about Harry - MSNBC.com

    "The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

  8. #83
    Gold Member latinaforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    XOXO
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    ^now that makes more sense
    i could of handled 30 more pages of info after reading 759-that closes it for me
    thanks for posting it.
    When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain

  9. #84
    Elite Member *Kat*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Hated the epilogue,especially the kids' names.But I guess tht was jk's clever way of ensuring a happy ending & at the same time making sure tht nobody continues the books,coz if someone does it'll be a little confusing as to which lily & james potter they're talking abt

  10. #85
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    ^^ A*O, I'm confused, didn't you say you haven't read any of the books?
    Not every page of every book. I've skimmed them because my kids read them and I've seen all the movies but I can't claim to know the esoteric details which puts me at a disadvantage because I think you need to know about these things for the whole saga and how it evolves to make sense. However, I've picked up on some of the universal themes, including the sexual tensions and sub-texts. But it's all good - JKR is a talented writer with a fantastic imagination that's captured the whole world.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  11. #86
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,834

    Default

    There's a hilarious synopsis/parody of the book here:
    Gibberish in Neutral: Potterdammerung [Mega-Spoilers]

    It deals with all the plot holes and silliness quite well while letting some love for the story and the good parts shine through. It's pretty long but funny as hell.

    I don't know whether Snape ever got any. He seemed to hold on to a very idealised and rather pathetic love for Lily who I think never saw him romantically and seemed shallow to me. In the end, she made her choices, she chose the rich jock over the brainy goth kid. Snape told Voldie that he found more suitable women (when was that, I wonder? Last Voldie knew before trying to kill Harry reduced him to non existence was that Snape fancied Lily so he tried to spare her. But then just killed her for no particular reason though he could have just as easily supefied her or something and taken off). Are we to believe that when Voldie sees Snape again, at the end of GoF, 14 years later give or take, he still remembers that Snape had fancied Lily and he's like "So, Snape, how have you been? Getting any? Did you meet worthier women after I killed that mubdblood you liked?"

    And I don't think we should confuse romantic love and sex. Snape had loved Lily but that doesn't mean he died a virgin. We get no sign of Sirius having ever loved anyone (anyone female at least) but no one has any doubts he ever had sex. I'm sure he had plenty of bitches lined up.

    I think that when it comes to Snape I'm the opposite of nearly everyone here. I HATE Rickman. His Snape is so old and fat and saggy, it's just WRONG! I so wish someone else could get to play the character, even for a couple of movies, or something. Rickman overacts and he just looks completely WRONG for the part.
    Last edited by yanna; July 29th, 2007 at 09:09 AM.

  12. #87
    Elite Member roslyntaberfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    HATED the epilogue!!!!!!

    It was good apart from that, although not as good as some of the other books....it seemed a bit forced in parts to me.

  13. #88
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I don't know whether Snape ever got any..
    Snape in the movies is Alan Rickman. He'd get PLENTY from me
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  14. #89
    Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    9. Why was Hedwig in her cage for the flight from the Dursley's? Why not let her stretch her wings and send her to the Burrow or somewhere else safe?

    Dove, if you're looking for more info on what happens when they grow up, she gave details in an interview here: Exclusive: Finished ‘Potter’? Rowling tells what happens next - Wild about Harry - MSNBC.com
    I know, there was no reason to kill Hedwig either. Harry lost his parents, Sirius, and now HEDWIG, his beloved pet?! It was just too much.

    Thanks for the link too. I was glad to see what JK imagined Luna did and I had also always thought Luna and Neville would make a good match.

    On the Rickman as Snape front, another thing we discussed was the fact that when Snape starts at Hogwarts, Lucius Malfoy is a prefect. Who would ever believe that LM is older than Snape? Rickman looks a lot older than the actor who plays Lucius. However, I think Rickman will KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF when the movie for the last book rolls around. That death scene when he wants to die looking at Lily's eyes....Ahhhh!

  15. #90
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Snape in the movies is Alan Rickman. He'd get PLENTY from me
    Bleurgh! Don't remind me! I hate him as Snape, he's all yours.

    Snape is 36 at the end of the series (born in 1960). The end as in Deathly Hallows. That means he's 31 in Philosopher's Stone. DOES ALAN RICKMAN LOOKS LIKE HE'S IN HIS 30s TO ANYONE???
    As for Malfoy looking younger than Snape, Malfoy is around 6 years older than Snape. I guess either the movies suggest that this isn't true or we should guess that Lucius moisturises.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Has the REAL Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows been leaked?
    By Novice in forum Books and Literature
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 18th, 2007, 01:25 PM
  2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - your theories
    By Eli in forum Books and Literature
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2007, 05:50 AM
  3. Harry Potter without Gary?
    By Shelly in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM
  4. Harry Potter nude scene?! GAH!
    By Grimmlok in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: November 24th, 2005, 01:19 AM
  5. Daniel Radcliffe wants Harry Potter to die
    By SVZ in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 31st, 2005, 02:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •