Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Yes - there is a thread somewhere...it might be in the thread where we were discussing the starz series?? I only read the first book years (like 20?) ago and it stuck with me. I came across it again in a used bookstore and was pleased that it held up. I know you are a time travel fan - the book is very good. And speaking of, have you seen the movie About Time? Worth the watch!
    Bluebonnet and Waterslide like this.

Those books are on my re-read list, but I loved them as well.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Gold Member

I started reading the series and recently finished book three. I like them.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Yes - there is a thread somewhere...it might be in the thread where we were discussing the starz series?? I only read the first book years (like 20?) ago and it stuck with me. I came across it again in a used bookstore and was pleased that it held up. I know you are a time travel fan - the book is very good. And speaking of, have you seen the movie About Time? Worth the watch!

Ahh, I loved About Time. It was such a sweet movie.

I really liked Outlander, I read the first 4 books and then kind of dropped them. I do like the TV series as well, they did a great job choosing the cast.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

My copy came with a "companion" CD. I haven't played it yet. I'm assuming it's bagpipes. And dang! That book is as thick as War and Peace by Tolstoy!
    Waterslide likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Oh, how I would have loved Outlander back in the day, when I still had estrogen and functioning ovaries. Now, however, that's all changed.

The books are glorified bodice rippers. The first couple of sex scenes were fine, mind you. After that, I was all, "Good Lord, they're fucking. Again. *sigh* Does it need to go on for pages? Can't we just do Cliff Notes Sex?"

I miss my estrogen.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    My copy came with a "companion" CD. I haven't played it yet. I'm assuming it's bagpipes. And dang! That book is as thick as War and Peace by Tolstoy!
    Yup, it's a big un. Actually, I think all 8 are that big. It's been forever since I've read them, but I got at least the first one on my Kindle to start over with. Now I want one with a companion CD. I actually like bagpipes and old time-y music that doesn't sound like a score.

Like ADel said, they are kind of glorified bodice rippers, but they're very involving time-travel-y bodice rippers, so I'm good with that. I think it's interesting, because Diana Gabaldon is friends with George RR Martin, and it kind of makes sense to me that they would enjoy each other's books. Well, I enjoy both their books, anyway....
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information