Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New Edition of Huckleberry Finn to Have All the Bad Words Removed

Quote Originally Posted by gristledonna View Post
    The fact that you engaged with the book is honestly the most important thing to an educator. It is very hard to find a book that actually is of interest to the students in the classroom. Those that argue otherwise are probably not educators. It is difficult in this day and age to push for an appreciation of older books. Most schools will do a classic and also a newer book to keep interest. This is because the goal of an educator is to encourage students to become readers for life. The worst thing you can do in this effort is to choose a book that is deemed boring or uninteresting to the reader.

It's funny because I don't think most people have actually read the OP's reasons for wanting to do this. The reason he wanted to do it is that he thinks the book is a great book for engaging the reader. However his daughter was put off by the language. So he thought, well maybe I'll try to find a way to make it more accessible to the students because it is a great book.

But of course it is easier for people to have uninformed kneejerk reactions and say he's doing it because he's upset by the word. Um no he's not. He just noticed that as a working educator that it put off a lot of students and tried to find a way to get around that.

That bastard. That enemy of Twain, that insecure idiot. Pick your title. it's really a joke how many people who are so up in arms about the right to read, didn't even bother reading the man's statement.

Don't come in here with your condescending bullshit theories. "it is easier for people to have uninformed kneejerk reactions and say he's doing it because he's upset by the word. Um no he's not. He just noticed that as a working educator that it put off a lot of students and tried to find a way to get around that.

That bastard. That enemy of Twain, that insecure idiot. Pick your title. it's really a joke how many people who are so up in arms about the right to read, didn't even bother reading the man's statement."

do you think that no one here can see what you're trying to do. you can run around and pretend to be "an educator" all you want, but the fact is if you can't get your students interested in a story, maybe you aren't doing your job all that well. How are you figuring we're all uniformed, you've blown smoke up our asses for about 5 pages now. don't get 'em twisted because people on the internet ain't buying what you're pretending to sell. good day.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Don't come in here with your condescending bullshit theories. "it is easier for people to have uninformed kneejerk reactions and say he's doing it because he's upset by the word. Um no he's not. He just noticed that as a working educator that it put off a lot of students and tried to find a way to get around that.

That bastard. That enemy of Twain, that insecure idiot. Pick your title. it's really a joke how many people who are so up in arms about the right to read, didn't even bother reading the man's statement."

do you think that no one here can see what you're trying to do. you can run around and pretend to be "an educator" all you want, but the fact is if you can't get your students interested in a story, maybe you aren't doing your job all that well. How are you figuring we're all uniformed, you've blown smoke up our asses for about 5 pages now. don't get 'em twisted because people on the internet ain't buying what you're pretending to sell. good day.
    psst I love you again
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post

Did you ever know you were my hero? You are everything I hope to be!! I love you!

What horrible message is this guy sending his daughter? Instead of sitting down and explaining to her what the significance of the book she was reading and enjoying, his reaction when she expressed a problem was, "Oh, hey, let me just rewrite the book to make it okay for you"? Christ. That girl's going to grow up with entitlement issues if Daddy is there to make every problem go away. "Don't worry honey, Daddy will rewrite this legendary Great American Novel for you so you won't have to think." The N word is SUPPOSED to make you uncomfortable as a reader. Mark Twain was not an ignorant idiot who used the word because he didn't "get it."

I can't wait for this guy next edited masterpiece: The Diary of Anne Frank, where Anne, Margot and their parents are reunited and go to TGI Friday's for crabcakes in a new, "kid friendly" ending. After all, kids might be sad, confused or upset by the original ending.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    it just reminds of all these watered down Grimm's fairy tales children are read. The original stories were darker, terrifying, shit to feed your nightmares.
    I remember reading Blackbeard and Beauty and the Beast, the Grimm's version, when I was a kid. My dad is a book addict, and had old old copies of classic books around.

And, I read "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry", by Mildred Taylor, when I was about 9 or 10. It had the bad offensive words in it too, but the impact it had on me was tremendous. It made me uncomfortable, and it made me cry, and when I lost my copy over the years moving, I bought another copy which I still have.

Truth and history have ugly evil chapters, and if we aren't made to look at it and remember, nothing will ever be better.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

I've said it before, things that make you uncomfortable or scare you as a child also generate a crap ton of interest. Kids want to know WHY and HOW it scares them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Im reading 'Grimm's Fairy Tales' now, gotta say that all this talk of them being watered down for being so scary has roused my interest. Maybe I have the watered down version but Ive read two stories and havent found anything scary yet. Nothing even mildly disturbing, in fact its very kid friendly. I must have the watered down version. Anyone know where I can pick up the original unedited version?

Thumbs up Here 'Ya Are

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Im reading 'Grimm's Fairy Tales' now, gotta say that all this talk of them being watered down for being so scary has roused my interest. Maybe I have the watered down version but Ive read two stories and havent found anything scary yet. Nothing even mildly disturbing, in fact its very kid friendly. I must have the watered down version. Anyone know where I can pick up the original unedited version?

The Grimm Brothers'
    Children's and Household Tales
    (Grimms' Fairy Tales)

Grimm Brothers' Home Page

Grimm Brothers' Home Page

Thanks!

Huh. Got this in my Quote of the Day feed today:

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.
    - Mark Twain

Guess he wouldn't approve after all.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information