Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does Philip Roth do it??

Default AUTOBIOGRAPHY: Philip Roth and Me-A Personal Retrospective

Philip Milton Roth(1933-) first gained fame with his 1959 novella Goodbye, Columbus. The book was an irreverent and humorous portrait of Jewish-American life and it earned him a National Book Award. I was only 15 at the time, in grade 10 in a small town in southern Ontario, had just joined the Baha’i Faith, and only read what I had to. I memorized everything on the curriculum and its several syllabi because that was the way, then, to get the highest possible marks at high school. I was an ace in my studies as well as in baseball, even a home-run king back in the pee-wee baseball league.

In 1969 Roth became a major celebrity with the publication of the controversial Portnoy's Complaint the humorous and sexually explicit psychoanalytical monologue of "a lust-ridden, mother-addicted young Jewish bachelor," filled with "intimate, shameful detail, and coarse, abusive language." By 1969 I had had my own experiences of lust as well as psychiatry due to my bipolar disorder. But I was no longer a bachelor, having got married in 1967. That same year I moved to Baffin Island to teach Inuit children.

Since those late 1950s Roth has become one of the most honoured authors of his generation. His books have twice been awarded the National Book Award, twice the National Book Critics Circle award, and three times the PEN/Faulkner Award. He received a Pulitzer Prize for his 1997 novel, American Pastoral, which featured his best-known character, Nathan Zuckerman, the subject of many other of Roth's novels. His 2001 novel The Human Stain, another story of Nathan Zuckerman, was awarded the United Kingdom's W.H. Smith Literary Award for the best book of the year.

Roth’s fiction is set frequently in Newark New Jersey. It is known for an intensely autobiographical character, for a philosophical and formal blurring of the distinction between reality and fiction, for a "supple, ingenious style," and for its provocative explorations of Jewish and American identity.(1) He writes about Jews because he has known lots of Jews, but he is an atheist without, as he says, "a religious bone in his body."

Since those late fifties and late sixties, I have become a successful, but quite ordinarily ordinary, teacher and lecturer of my generation. I have received no honours for my writing although, in the last three decades, I have written and published several million words. My writing is also intensely autobiographical, but the main character in my writing is me and I do not blur the line between reality and fiction. I would like to think my writing is, like Roth’s, supple and ingenious in style and provocative in its explorations of life, mine and society’s. I would like to think that, but I must leave such judgements to readers.-Ron Price with thanks to (1)Charles Simic, “The Nicest Boy in the World,” The New York Review of Books, 9 October 2008.

I’m intensely autobiographic, too,
    Philip; but I go about it in a very
    different way that you. And fame
    is not part of my story…..my life-
    narrative…..We go after reality in
    our own unique ways and I went
    after it in writing much later in life
    than you. I was just getting into my
    profession in my twenties and you
    were on your way to fame and glory.

You've been writing mastering pieces
    for more than half a century, and I've
    been writing, too, but no masterpieces
    on my turf. Congratulations, Philip!!!!!!

Ron Price
    12 November 2011
    Last edited by RonPrice; November 12th, 2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: to add some words
    married for 44 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 12 and a Baha'i for 52(in 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post
    I have received no honours for my writing although, in the last three decades, I have written and published several million words.
    wonder why

Philip Roth - Comic Book Resources Forums
    Philip Roth - Page 2 - Literature Network Forums
    Philip Roth on religion - Page 3 - Literature Network Forums
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

just when you think Ron Price has given up, he comes back. See you again in another million words.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

fuck you, ron price, for making me think buttmunch was back.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

never saw this thread before.

who is ron price??

I miss Butt.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Default Thanks for Your Enthusiastic Responses Folks!

Thanks for Your Enthusiastic Responses Folks! Collectively you people have posted thousands upon thousands of posts here. I just pop in occasionally in this the evening of my life, as I do at other sites. Some sites receive me warmly, sometimes discussions follow, and sometimes I get responses like the ones here. In cyberspace and in real life you can't keep everyone happy all the time.

Tomorrow the last half of the last month of spring begins in Australasia.-Ron Price, Tasmania
    married for 44 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 12 and a Baha'i for 52(in 2011)

Excuse me if I don't fall over with delight over your posts, Ron.
    Personally. I find you lack charm and even a slight crumb of wit.
    You also seem rather stuck on yourself. With very little reason.
    I am glad spring is beginning there and suggest you take up some new hobby.
    I am trying to think of something that would appeal to you, but am at a loss.
    Stamp collecting? Prison lecturer? Captive audience. Yes, that might work.

McJag- Dallas, Texas

Thanks for Your Enthusiastic Responses Folks! Collectively you people have posted thousands upon thousands of posts here. I just pop in occasionally in this the evening of my life, as I do at other sites. Some sites receive me warmly, sometimes discussions follow, and sometimes I get responses like the ones here. In cyberspace and in real life you can't keep everyone happy all the time.

Tomorrow the last half of the last month of spring begins in Australasia.-Ron Price, Tasmania
    Ron, try interacting and stop trying to shove information down our throats.

the end.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Default Take Up Stamp Collecting

Some people on the internet let you know, and in no uncertain terms, what they think of your posts. Frankness, candour, invective, harsh criticism, indeed, criticism in virtually every conceivable form, can be found in the interstices of cyberspace, if one writes as much as I do at more than 8000 locations among the 260 million sites and 4.6 billion subjects, topics or items of information at last count, that are now in existence in that world of cyberspace. In the last seven years I have been on the receiving end of everything imaginable that someone can say negatively about someone’s writing and someone.

I have also received very positive responses in these same 7 years: 90% positive and 10% negative on average, and in total. For now I will bow out and leave you folks with your 100 thousand posts to interact with each other in your conventional ways. Perhaps I will take up stamp collecting!-Ron Price, Australia

Bitter jellus fattie!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Perhaps I will take up stamp collecting!-Ron Price, Australia
    Seriously, instead of stamp collecting, try therapy. You must be able to feel when things slide off the normal range.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information