Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Guilty secrets: books we SAY we've read...but haven't

Les MisÚrables. I don't know how many times I've started that book and dropped it.

This isn't necessarily something I claim to have read, but I've started and stopped The Satanic Verses a few times now. It exhausts me.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Bronze Member

What is the Satanic Verses about?

^^ It's about Satanic Verses. Is your Google broken or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    This isn't necessarily something I claim to have read, but I've started and stopped The Satanic Verses a few times now. It exhausts me.

I read it twice to understand it properly - completely overrated. Those damn fundamentalists gave that book so much publicity.

A much better book by Rushdie: The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Rushdie is a genius. Even though, according to his publisher, he is an unbearable diva. Yes, I stalked his publisher, I am a nerd.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Those damn fundamentalists gave that book so much publicity.
    They probably only got as far as the title.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I've never been able to finish Moby Dick. Those salty old fishermen bore me.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I've never been able to finish Moby Dick. Those salty old fishermen bore me.
    A girl at work was working on Moby Dick for a couple months last year. I was sort of impressed by her ability to stick with it for so long. I know she ended up liking it, but was really complaining about it in the first month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    The only two things I've used Spark Notes for is Shakespeare and a Tale of Two Cities. That book was painful right from the start, it was the end of the year, and I'd just seen the move version in French class

I also could barely get through Frankenstein. But it was less awful than Wuthering Heights.
    I really liked To Kill a Mocking Bird, Catcher in the Rye, Yellow Raft in Blue Water, and The Bluest Eye. I read way ahead with all of these.
    I LOVED Tale of Two Cities. We read it freshman year of high school and it just made me want to pick up more Dickens over the summer. I also had a really great teacher at the time who tried to make some of the war horses fun. We had a cool project we had to do from the perspective of a character (or someone who could have been a character) and it was interesting to see the different perspectives because of the variety of classes we were all writing from.

I HATED Frankenstein. Everyone else seemed to love it but I was bored to tears, but then again I loved Catcher in the Rye and everyone else stared at me in confusion. I've read that at least 2 or 3 more times since high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Les MisÚrables. I don't know how many times I've started that book and dropped it.
    I remember taking this book with me when I went on tour with a band in high school. We were gone for a month and touring by bus so I figured I'd need a long book to keep me occupied during that time, and since I love the musical I should love the book too, right? I have never found a more effective sleep aid.

While I did finish this book - it was a horribly tortuous read for me. The Old Man and The Sea - god I hated that book. I honestly think there were only 3 periods in the complete book. I couldn't get past the stupid run on sentences to even pay attention to what it was about. What was it about anyway?
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

I'm surprised to hear so many people hated Wuthering Heights and loved To Kill a Mockingbird. My tastes must be opposite because I loved WH and I found Mockingbird insufferable, I found it unbearable and boring to read.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^^ We had to read it in school and it was ok. I'm not that keen on Wuthering Heights, but love Jane Austen... go figure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    ^^ It's about Satanic Verses. Is your Google broken or something?

I read it twice to understand it properly - completely overrated. Those damn fundamentalists gave that book so much publicity.

A much better book by Rushdie: The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Rushdie is a genius. Even though, according to his publisher, he is an unbearable diva. Yes, I stalked his publisher, I am a nerd.

The one book that cures my insomnia is one of those "whistleblower" books about MI5/6 or some such... 3 pages & I'm asleep. Spycatcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Free Charmed.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I hated, hated, HATED Wuthering Heights. I stuck it through, since I don't like using Spark Notes since I'm afraid I'll miss some integral part. But, goddamn, that was the most painful literary experience I've ever had. I also could barely get through Frankenstein. But it was less awful than Wuthering Heights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    VOUCH. Vouch vouch fuckity vouch!
    X 1000000! I had to cover both Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein as part of a literature course (they both made up part of the segment on Gothic literature). I couldn't have got through them if we hadn't had an excellent tutor.

Another book I hated was Last of the Mohicans. It took me months and several attempts to get through it, and that was only because it became something of a challenge to finish it. I hated it so much that I wouldn't watch the film version, even when everyone around me was hyperventilating over Daniel Day Lewis.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information