Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Florida Gives In to Horny Moms, Lifts the Ban on 50 Shades of Grey

Content Section
    E.L. James on the “50 Shades of Grey” Classical Album and Next Book

by Lizzie Crocker Sep 18, 2012 3:51 PM EDT At an event celebrating the release of a 50 Shades classical music album, author E.L. James spoke about Raymond Tallis, Pachelbel’s Canon, and what’s next for the erotic blockbuster. By Lizzie Crocker.

The profits keep piling up for Fifty Shades of Greyauthor E.L. James, who celebrated Monday’s release of 50 Shades of Grey: The Classical Album—“the perfect accompaniment to the Fifty Shades reading experience,” according to the CD pamphlet— with a Q&A at New York’s Soho House last night. Upon arrival, guests were handcuffed (naturally) and ushered upstairs to the club’s Drawing Room, which had been slightly sexed up for the occasion. Masked waiters served wine and hors d’oeuvres under dim lights and a quartet played mood music from the new album in a dark corner. Club members, reporters, Fifty Shades enthusiasts, and Christian Grey wannabesmeandered awkwardly around the room with varying agendas until James took the stage.

“I had a huge playlist when I was writing these novels,” James told the host about her inspiration for the album, which includes classical music from the 16th century through the modern period. Pachalbel’s “Canon in D,” “Bailero” from Cantaloube’s Chants D’Auverne, Bach’s “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Dressing” and Tallis’s “Spem in Alium” are among the highlights. Tallis’s version of the devotional choral work was getting play long before the album was even announced, thanks to the role-playing of its “astral, seraphic voices” in one particularly raucous sex scene between Miss Steele and Mr. Grey.

While James admits the expressive nature of classical music makes it particularly well-suited to erotica, the Black Eyed Peas and Bruce Springsteen top her current sex-writing playlists.

“It’s an erotic tale, that’s all I’m going to tell you,” James said coyly when asked whether her next book will fit the Fifty Shades niche. She’s determined to finish it and work on a few other projects before she considers revisiting Anastasia and Christian in the Red Room of Pain. But Fifty Shades fans are eager for an addition to the series.

Author E. L. James speaks at the "Fifty Shades Of Grey" album launch in New York City on Sept. 17, 2012. (Andrew H. Walker / Getty Images)
    “Lots of people are clamoring for the fourth book in the trilogy,” she quipped. But James remained tight-lipped on the subject of the forthcoming film adaptation, politely refusing to answer the host’s relentless questions about her casting preferences, not to mention how the book’s x-rated content translate in ratings on the silver screen. “We haven’t discussed that yet,” James said nonchalantly. She remains completely overwhelmed by the meteoric success of the Fifty Shades trilogy, and admits that speaking in front of large crowds at press gatherings and other fancy occasions is still a bit nerve-wracking.
    “[These books] are really my fantasy. And the wonderful thing about this is that they seem to be other people’s fantasies as well.”
    For all the critical hand-wringing over her trilogy, James couldn’t be more thrilled with the success of her books and the fact that they're getting many women who don’t usually read to pick up not one book, but three.
    E.L. James on the “50 Shades of Grey” Classical Album and Next Book - The Daily Beast
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Oh FFS! Not more!?

It's a damn good job that she's made a shit load of money from the FSOG series because I can't see these selling even half as well. For every one person who has raved about the books there are at least five who have thought they were utter crap and are annoyed with themselves for being taken in by the hype. I wonder if her publisher will be providing her with a good assistant (AKA ghostwriter) for the next books?

Sadly yes and I bet it was written as fanfic of another show or book series. The only good thing is that people are discovering that romance genre is more than Harlequin Presents but it sucks that this is being hailed as ground breaking when erotic genre has been around since the dark ages.
    Kittylady likes this.

'50 Shades of Grey' movie lands its screenwriter

Kelly Marcel, a British screenwriter, has been hired to adapt the bestselling novel "Fifty Shades of Grey." (AFP / Getty Images / Handout)

By Nicole Sperling October 8, 2012, 1:08 p.m.

"50 Shades of Grey" moved one step closer to its big-screen adaptation Monday with Universal Pictures and its subsidiary Focus Features announcing the hiring of Kelly Marcel to adapt the bestseller into a feature film.
    Marcel, 38, is best known for writing the spec script "Saving Mr. Banks," which landed on the Black List in 2011 and is now being turned into a feature film starring Tom Hanks for Universal Pictures. That film centers on the story of Walt Disney’s 20-year pursuit of the film rights to author P.L. Travers’ novel “Mary Poppins” and the rocky relationship that formed between the two.
    Hanks is playing Disney; Emma Thompson takes on the role of Travers.
    PHOTOS: NC-17 films
    Producer Michael De Luca said in a statement that Marcel's work on "Mr. Banks" demonstrated her "flawless structural technique" and "passionate commitment to emotion, humor and depth of character."
    Added producer Dana Brunetti, “We were all taken with the depth and passion of Kelly’s engagement with the characters and world E. L. James has created, and we knew she was the right person to augment our 'Fifty Shades' family."
    Since the originally self-published “Fifty Shades of Grey” was released more formally earlier this year, the trilogy, centering on college-age Anastasia Steele and her torrid affair with billionaire Christian Grey, has become a global phenomenon and has been translated into 45 languages worldwide.
    In the U.S. alone, the “Fifty Shades” trilogy has sold more than 32 million copies in e-book and print, making it one of the fastest-selling book series ever.
    The British Marcel's other credits include serving as the co-creator and executive producer of the Fox television series "Terra Nova," for which she wrote the series pilot episode. She will also produce "The Madonnas of Echo Park" for HBO.
    The former child actor has also formed a theater company with actor Tom Hardy. The two met when Marcel did an emergency rewrite of Hardy's film "Bronson," in addition to writing two comedy dramas with the actor.
    'Fifty Shades of Grey' film lands screenwriter - latimes.com
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I let a woman at work borrow the second and third books after she told me she started on the first, telling her not to bother spending any more money on that trilogy.

Her last day at work is tomorrow and said she would return the books she borrowed, but I told her to keep them as a "goodbye" gift. She asked if I hated her.

Bah hahahahaha! It's still funny when I think about her saying that!
    DeadDwarf, Kittylady and Jadestone like this.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread Information