Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever notice how weird authors are?

I think some of their fans are worse! LOL

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
    Common people don't do different things.
    The truest thing I have ever read I think. Unfortunately common people are the majority. Aren't we glad we're not common! (Common people don't go on the net, they think they have amazingly versatile lives to live)

Hit By Ban Bus!

i think writing is a very lonely existence yet has some remarkably fulfilling moments. being a writer is not a choice.

Edgar Allen Poe now he had to be a wierd mofo.. I agree I can just keep a naming em

Sylvia Plath
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by mistify View Post
    Sylvia Plath
    Biggest nut-job on earth! You've read The Bell Jar, right? Way to bleed like vomit out of your vagina and then "cover" it up as a different character's experience, Sylvia Plath. Not.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Biggest nut-job on earth! You've read The Bell Jar, right? Way to bleed like vomit out of your vagina and then "cover" it up as a different character's experience, Sylvia Plath. Not.

one of my favourite books. as sardonic as it was, she had a very good sense of humour and alot of the bell jar is very funny. she certainly wasn't the first person to write a veiled autobiography.

what about hemingway. there was a few issues.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I think most writers worth their salt are carrying around any number of issues. It's what drives them to write: trying to figure it all out. Good writing is navel gazing at its finest.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Eli

I started out writing because I was bored on a weekend, but mostly recently because I'm bored with the crap on the bookshelves. So I personally don't need to figure stuff out!... sometimes.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I started out writing because I was bored on a weekend, but mostly recently because I'm bored with the crap on the bookshelves. So I personally don't need to figure stuff out!... sometimes.
    i can't say that's the reason i'm writing but that's a good motivator. how long did it take you to finish your first draft? how long is your book? in one sentence what is it about?
    i find my biggest problems to be self-doubt and perfectionism which is a crippler. at the same time the book i am working on is the first writing i am really happy about. i love the characters and the plot is good as well. though i've been developing it forever. i always think i'm working on the first draft but really i have the longest outline in history.

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by doriangray View Post
    i can't say that's the reason i'm writing but that's a good motivator. how long did it take you to finish your first draft? how long is your book? in one sentence what is it about?
    i find my biggest problems to be self-doubt and perfectionism which is a crippler. at the same time the book i am working on is the first writing i am really happy about. i love the characters and the plot is good as well. though i've been developing it forever. i always think i'm working on the first draft but really i have the longest outline in history.
    Mine at the moment is a mere 160 or so pages long. But there are 12 sequels, and still going. I won't even mention the synopsis because it sounds so insanely bad. But the series does have 46 fans across the world! Which is exciting. Tells me that it may actually do well one day if it's ever published.

Whats its about?

my friend also made that website a few years ago before I changed the title of the series. It's copyrighted and has been for 3 years, just so ya know.

I have self-doubt too but that's when I go to a friend and say "need your help. this: good or bad?"
    I also have perfectionism, but that's a good thing because it helps you narrow out the dull stuff from the good!

Something somebody told me about my writing once was that there was literally never a dull moment, it was like an awesome TV show on a roll in its prime. I was extremely flattered. But that's why I like my books to be shortish. Gets rid of the crap that you have to sort of force your way through with some books.

Oh my Goodness another writer! We must chat more!

Writers might be weird, but some of their fans are beyond words. Some of Neil Gaiman's fans (and I LOVE his work) are truly very odd.

Eli

Hello? Harry Potter fans? lol

Sexually experimental?

Crazy cat lady?

Shirley Temple fanatic?

Alan Alda in drag?

UFO abductee?

Peeping Tom?

Loser?

If this is the kind of stuff I can count on in your book, consider me a guaranteed sale.

I've tried writing a book so many times, I'm just not sure that I have the dedication and attention to write anything longer than a short story. I love writing though.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Most of the authors I enjoy are not only a little "strange," but tiptoe dangerously close to cuckoo.

James Ellroy immediately springs to mind. Anyone who's ever read his biography has been treated to intimate details of his mother's murder, his obessive, somewhat insestuous thoughts about her, and his drug abuse that can only be described as grotesque.

He can spin a good tale, though.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information