Login to remove the ads!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you think books are still popular/will they remain popular?

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Try the Kugelmass Episode, the Lottery or Children on their Birthdays. Those are three absolutely fantastic short stories, all very different from one another but each worthy of a read.
    Wasn't everyone forced to read The Lottery?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I don't like short stories. I get annoyed that they end so quickly.
    another vote from me. I read very quickly, so a lot of books don't take me anytime to read....

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Don't tell Julie Garwood or Nora Roberts.
    Then again don't tell Jane Austen either because her books were considered scandalous romance novels. If we are going to judge which books are for the "intelligent" crowd what do we say to the millions of adults who faithfully read the Harry Potter series?

I'm sorry I'm not a book snob, if someone likes it then fine by me. But I'm like that about most things. If some over stressed housewife finds some happiness in reading a Harlequin then good.. my mom liked the ones about indians, when her sister passed away she left about four huge boxes filled with the things, when my mom passed I guess she had just as many.
    It doesn't bother me a bit if people only enjoy Harlequin romances, but if anyone tried to pass it off as good literature, I would laugh. I have read and enjoyed my fair share of fluff. I like Elizabeth Peters' mysteries; I enjoy the characters and the humour, and the setting in Egypt. But I recognize it for what it is: simple, light escapism- not great literature.

As I see it, the quality of literature has not so much to do with the subject as it has to do with how the sentences are crafted and the words are weaved, and how insightful and observant it is of human nature. A novel about romance will not necessarily be trash anymore than a novel set in Russia during the Napoleonic Wars will inherently be great. It is dependent upon the skills of the author. If someone were to present me with a truly well-written bodice ripper, I would be happy to read it.

I used to call them "Girl in front of the house" books, because there was a big house & she was always running left,sometimes right. I tried several when I was 13. By the 3rd one,it dawned on me they have the same plot. Girl. 2 men. Something sinister happens. Which one is really the good guy? It could be A or B-which seemed to be the only suspense. My Aunts adore them, so fine with me.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

I used to call them "Girl in front of the house" books, because there was a big house & she was always running left,sometimes right. I tried several when I was 13. By the 3rd one,it dawned on me they have the same plot. Girl. 2 men. Something sinister happens. Which one is really the good guy? It could be A or B-which seemed to be the only suspense. My Aunts adore them, so fine with me.

Well even Tolkien had his romance side lines.

Yeah most romance books get to the sex by page 150 at least.. which is why I have to mix it up with some true crime and some factual period stuff. I've never been to jazzed about the age differences, the girl is always 18 and a virgin, the man is 30 something rich and hot. Ya gotta laugh. Speaking of laughing it cracks me up that I'm into vampire romance... me who won't watch a scary movie because I'm to chicken.

Ravenna - thing is I consider Jane Austin good literature and yet in her day she was considered a fluff writer. Which makes me think maybe in a hundred years or so one of these fluff books might be considered a classic. .. hey ya never know

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Wasn't everyone forced to read The Lottery?
    I wouldn't say forced. I'd say given the honor of reading such a great story.
    Don't forget the pseudo rape scene usually included. I once read that romance novels that have a rape/forced seduction (whatever that is) scene sell much higher than those without.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

That makes no sense whatsoever. Stories with pseudo rape scenes sell better? What kind of mess is that?

Yeah, it's fucked up but apparently there are a lot of ladies out there who want to be taken with force or someting. I'll try to find the thing I read, although it was a long time ago.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I don't see books going out of style. The typical paper books will fade away. Books will become completely electronic, where you can read them off of the Web or download them directly to your computer/phone

Once digital readers improve, i see all the newspapers, magazines, Harlequin & Jackie Collins novels disappearing off the shelves. And they'll offer digital coupons for new stuff. I'll buy one after the upgrades.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

They already have newspapers digitally. I dont know if theres an app for that on the iPhone but its on the Droid.

Good news is Im sure many trees are breathing a sigh of relief.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My point and I was trying to make one was.... todays romance crap/fodder for house wives, might be considered a classic sometime in the future. Maybe but not likely.

I really don't know whats going to happen in the future. I know the market for authors has waned over the years and if we are talking about the printed book on paper I think in the future there won't be a need just like we don't need to wear fur because we have other resources. The book will be in the form of a electronic device.

As it is you can go the the library sitting in front of your computer and download a book.

just trying to play devils advocate here - folks I don't really think "Lyons Lady is another War and Peace"

Speaking of romance novels my mother used to read a writer called Rosemary Rogers. I read a couple as a teen but completely forgot about them until this thread. Lots of cold women melted by hot half breeds (I*m serious). I may have to order one and see just how crap they really were.

--Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I sent my daughters to private school, then once in public school I found out that my younger daughter was not reading on grade level. So during the summer she spent time with her grandma with instructions to read more. So I get a call to come to school, she got caught with a romance novel during class (she was in middle school) I asked her where she got the book, she said "grandma" Well fast forward to today, she is a author herself - she doesn't write romance books.

My Mom and I swapped books now and again but when they make the days of yore look romantic I remind myself there was no air conditioning or cars or birth control or equal rights........ LOL

"Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

Wow. That freaks me out.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information