Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you need to read books to be clever?

Eli

I think kids these days are going to have a lot of difficulty learning how to spell and speak their first language when there's all this text talk. Thank goodness I wasn't born 5 years later or else id B torkn n spelln lyk dis.

^
    2 true. I agre wit u 4 real cuz sriously mst kds txt lik dat. I don't envy them that at all!

Lately I've been seeing the effects of texting and e-mailing appear in the writing of undergraduate essays, which is disturbing if not entirely surprising. You'd hope that the education system would be able to teach them differently, but in a culture where most people spend tons of time e-mailing and texting and very little time reading books, it isn't that much of a shocker.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

I swear, if reading made my spelling better, the internet has made it worse. I see so many spelling mistakes that I begin to ape them! In my last private message, I spelled hear 'here.'
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Yes, we now have a generation of illiterate children with no attention spans
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Eli

You'd think with the dictionary option on phones, which most kids use, that they wouldn't text with the B's and the 4's and the thx and the hoz and oh my god I sound like Bill Cosby...

^^I said to my wife Camille
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Gold Member

sad, i think i'm starting to type text-speak too, because i text a lot

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Books don't make you smarter but they do give you more knowledge. Like Raspberry gashes said it also increases your vocabulary, I read alot and also was a top speller in school.

As for books being viewed as "tired and middle aged" that's a load of bullshit. I have 4 bookcases that are full from top to bottom and when people come over they say: "Wow, it's nice to see that, it's rare to see so many books in a house." My bf said that having books in the house (he doesn't read) gives it charm.
    Huh? How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Listen here, I used to be an avid reader, especially growing up. Made me have great spelling, grammar and better command of the language (English was not my first language.)

Ever since I've been out of college, however, and haven't HAD to read as much, I can feel myself getting dumber. The brain synapses just aren't firing as quickly, I find myself making spelling mistakes when I write and I have a lot more trouble putting ideas into sentences. It used to come a lot easier than that and I certainly notice the difference. I'm only 30, it can't be my age.

Not using my critical thinking skills so much, the lack of intellectual stimulation and my increased instant gratification via the internet has really changed things. Reading definitely helps. Doing crosswords helps a lot too. If you don't use it you really do lose it.
    I don't like crosswords; I do math problems to stay sharp. I had to do lots of math for my degree and I probably couldn't do calculus now to save my life. I do enjoy burning through a workbook of algebra, geometry, or trig problems though. What's embarrassing is that I don't always get them right. I got nothing but straight 100s in math as a kid.

Maybe I AM getting dumber!
    Last edited by Tati; May 18th, 2008 at 10:53 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information