Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Childhood books

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    Where the Wild Things Are.

My husband never heard of it and he asked me what it was about, so I said, "It's about a little boy who misbehaves and gets sent to bed without dinner. He imagines that he becomes the leader of monsters called "Wild Things" and when his adventure is done he finds his dinner waiting for him, still warm." Then Mr. Bot asked, "What is the moral supposed to be?" And I replied, "Don't punish your kids or they will turn into terrifying monsters. Instead reward them by delivering tasty meals to them." His response? "That explains soooo much about you." Haha.

Anyway, I've always been enchanted by that book. I was a big fan of beautiful illustrations from a very early age.

I'm very excited about the movie version due next year! The script is written by David Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius) and directed by Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich). *squeee!*
    It is one of my favorite books to read to me son but I do get a bit frightened when he starts "rolling his terrible eyes knashing his terrible teeth and showing his terrible claws"
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I read just about anything that fell into my hands, but I loved the Little House series. Also, when everyone else was into Nancy Drew, I was reading all the Trixie Belden books. Sometimes I think I was the only one who read those!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Growing up I loved Nancy Drew. My mother had all her original ND books from the 50s and I read and re-read them. I also liked Judy Bloom, The Babysitter's Club, and Sweet Valley Twins books. Titillating stuff.

Before I could read, my mother would read Babar to me endlessly. I loved it. I also love Guess How Much I Love You, but it never fails to make me cry.

The Miraculous Adventures of Edward Tulane is a gorgeous book for kids of all ages. "Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ." I read that line from the book somewhere years ago and it struck me so much, I had to go find the book.
    ME too!!! I loved those damned twins from Sweet Valley High though, now I ony remember Liz??

I also read alot of V.C. Andrews. My son loves the Junie B. Jones books and his favorite as a baby was Guess How Much I Love You... I recently found a full size illustration of that book at a yard sale for $10.00.. love it.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

• Sweet Valley High series
    • Judy Blume anything
    • Stephen King
    • Shel Silverstein anything
    • An illustrated version of Sleeping Beauty that I found in 2d grade - I look back and realize that the appeal was the explicit (now, I get it), quirky, lush sensuality/sexuality of the illustrations
    • Madeleine L'Engle
    • Dr. Ruth
    • Anything on mythology, folklore
    • Charlotte's Web
    • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    • Patrick Woodroffe's illustrated stuff
    • Whitley Strieber - got a huge kick out of his stuff,especially Cat Magic and Communion.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Ahhhhh, reading all the posts has brought back some MEMORIES! I too was a child who really read just about anything that fell into my hands! I couldn't get enough. Definitely had favorites, though, all of which have been mentioned already:

Ramona Quimby--I wanted to BE Ramona when I was 8. Got the same haircut. I wrote to Beverly Cleary and she wrote back (and don't you dare tell me it was a secretary, I won't have it!! ).

Little House--oh yeah, went through my Laura stage as well. Grew hair out and wore braids. I loved reading anything about the pioneer lifestyle.

Anne of Green Gables--fiesty and independent and all around an awesome girl!

Roald Dahl--anything, everything!

Golden Books--do they make these anymore? I have about 100 of them, and I read them to my boys now.

Choose your Own Adventure--these were so much fun!

I also had some classic Mother Goose books and Fairy Tale books that I could get lost in. I need to go through all my childhood books and relive some of the memories with my boys. They are both VERY into books as well.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

^How could I forget Golden Books? I sold some first editions for okay money. If I knew what I was doing, I could have made more.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

The Sweet Valley series.

The Babysitters Club series.

Eloise.

The "Madeline" books.

The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Anyone remember a series about a family that was little and lived in the mouseholes of a house? They got up the stairs using paperclips and were always on the run, it seemed, from the mice and generally being discovered. I really want to get them to read to the heathens but cannot, for the life of me, remember what they're called. Anyone?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Anyone remember a series about a family that was little and lived in the mouseholes of a house? They got up the stairs using paperclips and were always on the run, it seemed, from the mice and generally being discovered. I really want to get them to read to the heathens but cannot, for the life of me, remember what they're called. Anyone?
    Was it The Borrowers?

The Borrowers is a children's fantasy novel by Mary Norton about tiny people who "borrow" things from normal humans and keep their existence unknown. The central characters are the Clock family: father Pod, mother Homily and their spirited thirteen year-old daughter, Arrietty.
    Wikipedia

Roald Dahl--anything.
    Judy Blume-anything.
    Nancy Drew
    Encylopedia Brown series
    Boxcar Children series
    Sweet Valley High series
    Pippi Longstockings, Dr. Doolittle
    Shel Silverstein
    Amelia Bedelia series
    The Great Brain books <--Freaking loved those!

God, I think I only ever read while growing up. There's just so many more, I can't think of them all.

Eli

Beyond the Rolling River.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

All the Roald Dahl books, but particularly The Twits and George's Marvellous Medicine (which inspired me to try and poison my grandmother)

The Little Grey Rabbit series - Alison Uttley

All of the Asterix books

101 Dalmations and Twilight Barking - Dodie Smith

Bertha and the Racing Pigeon - Pam Ayres

Orlando The Marmalad Cat series - Kathleen Hale

Those are just my really young books. When I got to about age ten I started cutting my teeth on Stephen King books...

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    The Sweet Valley series.

The Babysitters Club series.

Eloise.

The "Madeline" books.

The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series.
    What! I LOVED those books! I tried to find them when he was little & decided I was not remembering correctly.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!
    in north carolina for the next 2 years >.<

The Hobbit
    Broken Sky
    Fear Street(I think this was the name of the series, it was the guy that did Goosebumps)

Mostly light fantasy I can't really recall any names atm.

I read The Lord of the Rings in 7th grade. I didn't understand most of it, but it opened up a whole new world to me. I've read it 6 times since haha.

Oh and someone said "where the wild things are." YES!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information