Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Charlaine Harris' latest Sookie book info is up!

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    No worries - the synopsis doesn't go into full detail and I bet you a lot of people will mistake that as an epilogue and not a basic summary coda. Also I am seeing some major fanwank going on the Amazon Laurell K. Hamilton boards with the ex fans being surprised by Eric fans being so bitter about the spoiler.
    Links please? I enjoy the forum posts more than the blasted books!

Sorry I meant to post the link and I forgot! But here it is Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Dead Ever After

I do find it ironic and funny that Hamilton's ex fans can't see the similar issues about why CH's fans are pissed off. Also the reviews for the last few Sookie books are similar with the star rating averages that Hamilton is getting so majority of readers are dissatisfied I think a lot of people are assuming that this is more about who is the HEA and its not the chosen favorite but the spoilers I read makes the ending much worse than that.
    NVash likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Exactly, it's much much worse than who the HEA is. She could have ended it the way she wanted but thrown the loyal, well paying customers a bone by at least portraying Eric's last acts in the book as tragically romantic and leave Sookie with a full heart but noooo..not a bone, not a caress, not a whisper of comfort...BIZARRE beyond belief and self destructive beyond comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    What was so wrong with giving the majority what they wanted and ending on a high note instead of tainting the whole thing? Would other incredibly popular literary pairings be so well loved if their creators had done something similar?
    ::Cough:: Gone with the wind ::cough::

^No comparison. Scarlett ended the movie vowing to get Rhett back, and it was left up to the viewer to decide what their ultimate fate would be. From what I've read Ms Harris has done no such thing, and left the door to any Sookie/Eric future completely shut.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

You know, I HONESTLY expected that Sookie would end up with Sam. I knew that she would never become a vampire because she didn't want to. The thing that pisses me off is the way CH has ended the relationship with Sookie and Eric - the way she fucked Eric's character. It irritates me that she completely contradicted what she had previously written of Eric.
    If she was going to end up with a shifter, I'd have chosen Alcide... now THAT is one hot piece of ass...
    greysfang, Kittylady and gas_chick like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I feel the same way. I think the problem for CH is that she's primarily writing for the paranormal romance and urban fantasy audience, which helped to capture a broader audience than the cozies and the mysteries she's previously written. The ending she wrote goes against the majority of her fanbase expectations when they are reading a fun series like this and I wonder if she's really underestimating the impact of how big her fanbase are rooting for Eric? She built him as a romantic hero and she can state this isn't a romance but the freaking covers, and plots heavily revolve around Sookie's romantic choices and as well as the paranormal setting. I think the fallout for this will be huge and the reviews for the last few books have been less than steller and its a shame because this was a fun series but I doubt her next series is going to be just as popular or successful.
    Kittylady likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I can't wait until the media gets hold of this story. At least the industry press--publishing and entertainment--should weigh in. If not, I'll have to wonder who is pulling strings? Even the most disinterested industry insiders must see this move of CH's as extraordinary! It's absolutely mind-boggling what she did because what reader in HELL would ever trust her again with an emotional and financial investment in any future work if they believe--and have good reason to---that she'll fuck 'em in the end just out of spite?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I can't wait until the media gets hold of this story. At least the industry press--publishing and entertainment--should weigh in. If not, I'll have to wonder who is pulling strings? Even the most disinterested industry insiders must see this move of CH's as extraordinary! It's absolutely mind-boggling what she did because what reader in HELL would ever trust her again with an emotional and financial investment in any future work if they believe--and have good reason to---that she'll fuck 'em in the end just out of spite?
    I agree and they will lap this up because she's high profile plus the True Blood affect as well. I really suspect she's underestimating the impact. She's killed off a hero/love interest in another series and she got flack for it and ironically she said she wouldn't do that again to fans. But that will be tame. She blogged about being unhappy when Deadlocked was on EW's worst list of the year with Snooki's genius offering. I think with this move its going to go on all-time worse endings for a series.

well, that's her own fault. These "authors" underestimate the impact of fucking over the fans/consumers. In the end, you tell the story in the way that makes sense for the characters... if you don't, then you risk not only the money but potentially your career. I just hope that we don't wind up with 50 Shades of Shit because of CH... I've actually seen on Amazon where some people were saying "not reading CH's book, will be reading the "REAL" ending fanfic..."
    Kittylady likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    well, that's her own fault. These "authors" underestimate the impact of fucking over the fans/consumers. In the end, you tell the story in the way that makes sense for the characters... if you don't, then you risk not only the money but potentially your career. I just hope that we don't wind up with 50 Shades of Shit because of CH... I've actually seen on Amazon where some people were saying "not reading CH's book, will be reading the "REAL" ending fanfic..."
    Gahhh that is my worry too - I heard that the first fanfic post DEA ending was posted on the night the spoilers came out. I can see that there will be loads of bitter fans turning to that and getting popular. This is what happened with 50 and with more and more fanfiction being published especially by NY pubs I think it will happen.

I think the effects of the spoilers leaking has affected her sales ranks on Amazon. When it broke it was number 13 now its 16.
    Kittylady likes this.

Well I certainly won't miss her fascinating rundown of Merlotte's napkin-holder and salt shaker filling routine or the menu that she helpfully includes in every book (burgers, chicken strips, or a salad with chicken strips on top!) or Sookie's craptastic taste in clothing and accessories. She's kind of a shitty writer but up until a few books back she knew how to tell a good story.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by kittylady
    Would other incredibly popular literary pairings be so well loved[...]

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    ::Cough:: Gone with the wind ::cough::
    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    ^No comparison. Scarlett ended the movie vowing to get Rhett back, and it was left up to the viewer to decide what their ultimate fate would be.
    :: Blinks ::

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I think she has definitely fucked with her fanbase that one step too far. Over and over again I've been hearing people say that they won't be wasting their money on any more of her work because they don't feel they can trust her not to deliver a swift kick to the crotch instead of the ending she has led them to believe is coming.

There's also been a lot of comments posted on fan boards saying that the people who run CH's official FB page were working overtime to delete lots and lots of the negative comments (not just the obscene or threatening ones, but plain old fashioned upset posts too) to try and make it seem that the majority of her fans were understanding and supportive. I don't know whether that's still the case now as I haven't been back to look, but during the days following the leak it definitely seemed to be the case.

ETA: It looks like the Coda WILL be in a separate book after all, and isn't released until November. D'ya not think you've already screwed enough out of people already, Charlaine? Oh yeah, and the rape in the trunk wasn't a rape after all. Go figure!

Last edited by Kittylady; May 4th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    :: Blinks ::
    THE BOOK ends the same way.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information