Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Charlaine Harris' latest Sookie book info is up!

I think out of touch of fashion and maybe trying to go for the kooky thing? Charlaine did the same thing with Beeel and Quinn - made them into arseholes to when the break up happens its like ohhh they deserve it. The problem is that it goes against their characterization and jarring. But if she does this to Eric and Sookie the backlash will be epic because this is major ship that everyone is rooting for.

I'd say Charlaine was an overweight frump when she was younger, so she dresses Sookie in the clothes she would have thought sexy back in the 80s and couldn't get away with wearing herself. But she has her clipping matching bows onto her ponytails and thinks the height of masculine sexiness is a silk t-shirt. And her idea of wild and punky is a tank top with no bra, bike shorts and spiky hair. At least she's not still putting Sookie in long nylon nightgowns.

I have zero investment in this series at this point. Sookie could live, die or learn to shit sideways and I wouldn't give a fuck. And YES! it was the fairy shit that pushed me over the edge. Charlaine just tries to force too much shit down my throat at once. Frankly, I hope she kills Sookie off... and Bill and Eric too for good measure.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^ See, now IMHO, as a writer she has failed you. When someone writes a story and people dont care about the main character they have failed.

And it's all the more disappointing because it did start out good. I loathe when you ARE invested and then book after book is just so disappointing that it feels like an afterthought - the first thought being "pound out useless tripe for immediate money". Sad.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Well, good news is shes winding it down. Think its three more books and the story is over.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

There's supposed to be thirteen books in total and as we've just had book eleven then that's just two more to go. The series needs to be wound up and by some accounts it was supposed to have been with book ten (Dead in the Family), but the publishers convinced her to stretch it out a bit further which led to a re-write of DITF to keep it rolling. Big mistake IMHO (along with being talked out of killing Bill). Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the Sookie books but even I can see that they've run out of steam and are limping along to cash in on True Blood's popularity. I much prefer Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series for my vampire kicks now.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    But if she does this to Eric and Sookie the backlash will be epic because this is major ship that everyone is rooting for.
    Except me - I loathe Eric. I'm unable to see anything sexy about a controlling asshole. I'd be thrilled if she killed him off in a spectacular way.

And I'm with Mel, if Sookie bites it, I won't be that upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    There's supposed to be thirteen books in total and as we've just had book eleven then that's just two more to go. The series needs to be wound up and by some accounts it was supposed to have been with book ten (Dead in the Family), but the publishers convinced her to stretch it out a bit further which led to a re-write of DITF to keep it rolling. Big mistake IMHO (along with being talked out of killing Bill). Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the Sookie books but even I can see that they've run out of steam and are limping along to cash in on True Blood's popularity. I much prefer Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series for my vampire kicks now.
    Are you the one I blame for my love of this series now? Someone here told me about it ... and YES, I like this series better than the Sookie series now.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Except me - I loathe Eric. I'm unable to see anything sexy about a controlling asshole. I'd be thrilled if she killed him off in a spectacular way.

And I'm with Mel, if Sookie bites it, I won't be that upset.
    Frankly, if it ends with a meteor hitting the world and the whole town of Bon Temps is melted, that'd suit me just fine!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

I much prefer Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series for my vampire kicks now.
    Oooooh, I've never heard of this before. Is it like the Sookie books ... ya know, campy and a little smut here and there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Are you the one I blame for my love of this series now? Someone here told me about it ... and YES, I like this series better than the Sookie series now.
    I may have mentioned it once or twice here. Or maybe a little more. But Kari has mentioned it too! *shifts blame*

I've been recommending the series to other fang-fiction readers because its starting to piss me off a little the way that the Sookie novels and Twilight have stamped themselves all over the market as if they are the be-all and end-all when there's much better books out there.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Oooooh, I've never heard of this before. Is it like the Sookie books ... ya know, campy and a little smut here and there?
    They are faster moving, more fights, more bloodshed, funnier and way, way smuttier. Chapter 32's sex scene in book 2 is something of a legend amongst the fan base. JF doesn't cut away at the tender moment like CH tends to.
    Last edited by Kittylady; June 16th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

Any other series that are worth a shit? I'm all caught up on the Jeanine Frost series...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

I see your point BFF/roomie made my birthday and Christmas for me by getting me the books to replace my pdfs, and when the last one came out he brought it for me as well. I'd like to say that he's amazingly generous like that but I think its more that he reads them as well and thinks he can keep his man card if he's buying them for me rather than himself.

I may have mentioned it once or twice here. Or maybe a little more. But Kari has mentioned it too! *shifts blame*

I've been recommending the series to other fang-fiction readers because its starting to piss me off a little the way that the Sookie novels and Twilight have stamped themselves all over the market as if they are the be-all and end-all when there's much better books out there.

ETA:
    They are faster moving, more fights, more bloodshed, funnier and way, way smuttier. Chapter 32's sex scene in book 2 is something of a legend amongst the fan base. JF doesn't cut away at the tender moment like CH tends to.
    You are such a finger-pointer!! The Bones books are awesome though, I think I'm one or two behind but they're so fun, I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Any other series that are worth a shit? I'm all caught up on the Jeanine Frost series...
    I'm seconding the request for other series, I've not even bought the latest Sookie book because my friend told me it'd make me hate Eric and like Bill, what on earth happens in the book? I totally hate Bill.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information