Login to remove the ads!
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Charlaine Harris' latest Sookie book info is up!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    ^^^ It's kind of hard to read where she's going with the story, honestly. I was one of the ones a bit disappointed with the last book. It seemed very rushed and way over edited. I hate to say that because I love her books as a whole, just wasn't "in love" with the last one. Sookie and Eric were supposed to talk, supposed to talk, supposed to talk ... and then never wind up talking. Through the whole book. In her writing, IMO, she is definitely pro-Eric even though she keeps Bill always swooning in the background ... I do have to admit, there were quite a few times that Bill was in a scene for just a few moments and they were sweet and touching. But Eric ... sex on a freaking stick. She wrote him that way.
    Yes, but from what I read and hear about the books, didn't she write *spoiler follows* a scene in which Bill rapes her, and Sookie rather astonishingly kind of UNDER-reacts? like it's no biggie? I think Charlaine is very old fashioned. She's like those women we talked about in the TB thread, the kind who wants a man to put her on a pedestal, act irrational and possessive over her, treat her like a princess, etc. etc. In her world view, (I'm just guessing here, going by what I've heard of the books and some of her own comments) a man like Eric is exciting and deliciously distracting for a time but you don't necessarily ride off into the sunset with him.

She did write that, and you'd have to read the part you're describing to understand Sookie's reaction. Spoiler: Another killer (I won't spoil it, but there's *always* somebody trying to kill Sookie) stuffs Sookie in the trunk of a car with a nearly starved/dead-dead Bill. Charlaine makes it clear in her vampire world that sex and bloodlust go hand and hand, and that when the vampires are in their bloodlust, it is practically impossible for them to maintain any semblence of control. When Sookie was thrown into the trunk, Bill didn't know what was going on, who she was, etc., just that he was on the verge of dying and needed blood (and with the bloodlust, comes sex). So, yeah, he did rape her, but once he had enough blood in him, I guess he came out of it and heard her crying and pleading with him and he stopped midway when he got his wits about him. I'm not so sure it was no "biggie" to Sookie, but having been in a relationship with a vampire, I think she kind of understood the whole bloodlust thing (it's talked about frequently throughout the books) and forgave it because he was starving, didn't realize what he was doing and then stopped when he realized what was happening and who it was happening with.

Like I said, it's hard to see where she's going with Eric and Sookie. There are other romantic involvements later in the series, but Eric is *always* in the picture (usually saving her or protecting her). Again, another spoiler, so don't read further, but I think this has been discussed here before .... Bill and Sookie break up early on in the series, but he too is always hovering in the background, waiting to save her (but Eric almost always beats him to it) and win her heart back. It's hard to foresee who Charlaine is going to have Sookie end up with, but the most constant relationship she has through the whole series is Eric, in one way or another.

Another spoiler: I know you've heard about the amnesia that Eric suffers and Eric and Sookie become lovers for a short while. His whole personality changes and becomes loving, devoted, loyal and willing to give up everything for Sookie (his sheriff-ship, his business). Then he comes out of the witches' spell and becomes old Eric again. But later on in another book, he remembers (after needling Sookie endlessly to tell him what took place during that time). And he remembers it fondly (and so do I, because DAMN!), and I think it takes him by surprise, these feelings that he has for Sookie. One of my favorite things about him in the later books is that he always refers to her as, "my lover." "Yes, my lover, what can I do for you?" *shivers*

I ordered the 8 book comp. for Xmas but recently (reading extracts and the first book in an other language) I had the feeling that the writing as such is not too, how shall I put it, well, literary and eloquent... (oh thankfully far from the baroque pompousness of Anne Rice - but still I want smooth rolling literature) I blamed the translation at first but then read the extracts and I was not impressed. I love the stories so I'll get them anyway but should I brace myself or you think it's ok?

I read a lot, and not just fiction, but hardcore non-fiction (LOL). The Sookie series is definitely not the most literary eloquent series that I've read, that is for sure. But it is addictive and campy and I think you'll love it.

Thanks for the reply, I'll stick the series back on my wishlist for Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I read a lot, and not just fiction, but hardcore non-fiction (LOL). The Sookie series is definitely not the most literary eloquent series that I've read, that is for sure. But it is addictive and campy and I think you'll love it.
    That's what I love about these books. They aren't necessarily smart, there is just a lot of plot-padding to get to the next sex scene, but the books are enjoyable and easy to read. It's the sort of book I'll happily sit down and read with a glass of wine in a comfy chair to chill out and relax (well... as much as you can until you hit the racy sections - Eric in Dead to the World, *jaw droppingly hot and bothered!!!*)

I love the glorious silliness of it all - Bubba, for instance. Fucking cool as shit, but not necessarily an intellectual literary character

Best bit is that now I can picture book Eric as ASkarz. Just adds to the hawtness

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Default Spoiler Alert!

A couple of tidbits for anyone waiting for Book 10 (Dead in the Family).

The Blurb: (Hilight it to read - I've blanked it out for anyone who is just starting working through the books).

Sookie Stackhouse has finally settled into a relationship with the Viking vampire Eric, and her errant brother Jason seems to have his life in order, too. But all the other people in Sookie’s life – Eric himself, her former lover Bill, her friend and boss Sam – are having family problems. Eric’s maker shows up with Eric’s ‘brother’ in tow, the ailing Bill can only be healed by a blood sibling, and Sam’s brother’s marriage is about to take place . . . or will it? The furor raised by the coming out of the two-natured has yet to settle; some people are just not ready to sit down to dinner with a man who turns into a dog. And Sookie herself is still recovering from her last ordeal. She’s definitely improving, physically and mentally, but she’s always going to have some dark moments now. The werewolves tell her that there have been strange and ominous passers-by in the Stackhouse woods; now Sookie is about to come face-to-face with one of her more distant relatives . . .

Chapter One: Loving True Blood in Dallas: Dead in the Family -Chapter 1 is up !

An explanation as to why Eric didn't come to the rescue: The Unread Reader: DITF Ch 1 extras

FYI for any other Europeans who wants Book 10: amazon.de has the same release date (May 2) than US. I just canceled my order from UK because the release date there was at the end of the May.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Mmmm, tempting (I think its 27 May here in England) but I'm wondering what the additional postage costs would be.

It was definitely more expensive than from buying from play.com. I even payed for extra shipping to get it asap. Pathetic, I know
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Book depository is a good site to get US books especially from the .com addy and its free shipping.

I attended the recent signing she did a few weeks ago in London. A few tidbits about the series and future books -

SPOILERS

She said she kinds of regretted the blood bond between Eric and Sookie and in hindsight might not have written that in.
    There will be more fae in the next 3 books. And one will be an elf but that is in book 12 or 13.
    There is also comic book series on True Blood and Harper books too.

I hate the fae story line. Bleh.

I've read every book she has written, the Lily Bard ones are my favorites. I don't like when an author gets really famous and sometimes they are rushed to produce another book, it is rarely as good.

Settled into a relationship with Eric? Ding. Where's that book website I use.....

I got an email inviting me to pre-order the new book the other day, but put it in the 'meh' pile. But MOAR ERIC?? Yay!

Has anyone found it in the net yet? My book is still in the mail and I cant wait any longer...

ETA: found it online. PM for link.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information