Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Charlaine Harris' latest Sookie book info is up!

Well if you go to the Affliction Amazon page and check out the discussion there they follow her blog/twitter posts and rag on them and she has several sites with people picking up on LKH's posts as well. It is entertaining because LKH is really narcissitistic and has caused fan meltdowns in the past. I am seeing the same thing with CH especially with that thread and I don't think she can get away from that especially with the way her mods have treated the Eric fans.

I think this is the problem when you have a series that has multiple love interests and causing team wars. It is stupid and dumb because the mods rarely treat one side fairly and it causes resentment. That is not a good thing to foster especially since a section of fandom is being ragged on. This is why I am more into series and books which have a solid and committed relationship instead of love triangles. And those books tend to be much better written and they don't have to rely on tension and who the HEA will be. Especially when the majority of the fanbase is going for the favourite and the author goes against that. I heard the same about Meyer as well and that goes to show she was smart because she would have been fucked and got a similar reaction like this.

I think the True Blood producers who must know that Eric is the firm fan favourite as well despite the push to make Bill the 'one' I know Alan Ball had a hard on for him will have to look hard and long at this. If they screw up like CH did - this is going to cause lost sales in DVDs and that's going to hurt so I suspect they wont go at a similar direction which I suspect is why Harris went THERE with Eric because she must have had an inkling.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The HEA is not the worst of the problems for readers I'm hearing from. On Amazon and elsewhere readers are citing chapter and verse a MASSIVE amount of inconsistencies in DEA from previous books, and they're pulled out of CH's ass [or WHOEVER wrote the book] mainly to make Eric look bad, Bill look good, and turn Sookie into an intolerant asshole. The only way this is about 'team wars' is how a tiny faction wormed it's way into the author's inner circle and pulled off what amounts to a literary coup. Now THAT is rabid devotion. Take that, Twihards.

Not that I find CH blameless, of course. She obviously agrees with their rape culture worldviews or she never would have allowed the retconning of Rapist Bill to go forward. Eric, as written throughout the books, encouraged Sookie's agency and strength. Nothing but a political worldview that finds this intolerable would destroy a character that represents the opposite of rape culture. CH clearly started out well with Eric but I guess she resented the positive reaction to him--and has stated that she never 'got' his appeal--- because that was far from what she intended. Men who are the opposite of abusive, raping, authoritarian Bill are beyond her ken, I guess.
    Sunrider likes this.

Yep I've been following that amazon thread with huge interest and seeing the same. I find it funny that the PR engaging this is to make it appear that its due the Team wars but its not the case. Even the middling reviews have noted there is inconsitencies. CH also doesn't get the genre she's writing it or she does because it did work for 9 books but then it went downhill for me after the fae and inconsistencies got really bad as well as killing off Claudine instead of Bill is where she went really wrong. I could see from that point that Eric's character was being turned into an arsehole just like the others and not in an effective way. But when she signed that extension she had the time to build up Sam and tie up the loose ends but she didn't do that. Instead she's added some crossover plot which introduces the new spinnoff, tied up Eric's plot in 6 pages. Redeemed Bill's character without covering the rape and Sookie considers having revenge sex and kissing him UGH.
    Its a real mess. I am just glad I was never invested in the series and stopped long ago because of her past in a previous series and seeing the signs happening again with this one. She had a lovely quirky humour in this series but it got lost and that is sad because Sookie reflected that and that sense of wonder. She made her bitter and bitchy and that is not the Sookie I liked in the series. She reflects the TV show and I think CH was definitely influenced by this.

I think her sales in the next few weeks are going to be interesting but in this genre you don't piss off the major fanbase like this and not make it believable.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post

Anyway, this resentment of Eric you speak of is real but it didn't start until the show aired. That's when the Moyer fans flocked to her forum and pretty much took over the place. ya'll should go see for yourself. A lot of them are saying they wished Sookie and Bill had FUCKED in DEA. FFS. /tangent Anyway, not only did they take over but they befriended her in real life. This isn't in dispute! One of them is her continuity editor, who I think is the same one who wrote those infamous whitewash e-mails between Eric and Bill in the Companion?
    Oh you mean the delightful Aislin? Possibly the worst continuity editor in the history of the world ever (CH's books are littered with inconsistancies, contradictions and minor characters undergoing name changes between installments) and one of the self-styled guardians of the forum, dedicated entirely to running off anyone who doesn't kiss arse with a frightening devotion.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I've been reading a bit about the Moyer factor and how he and his PR team have been close with CH for the past couple of years. Much of it doesn't paint Moyer in a very good light. I also wonder what's going to happen in TB. Alan Ball has said repeatedly that he was more drawn to Bill (and presumably by the exclusion, not to Eric) when he read the books. Ball is still exec producing I think, but I'm pretty sure he's no longer writing or directing this season. Wonder who the show's going to lean towards?
    Kittylady and Sunrider like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I've been reading a bit about the Moyer factor and how he and his PR team have been close with CH for the past couple of years. Much of it doesn't paint Moyer in a very good light. I also wonder what's going to happen in TB. Alan Ball has said repeatedly that he was more drawn to Bill (and presumably by the exclusion, not to Eric) when he read the books. Ball is still exec producing I think, but I'm pretty sure he's no longer writing or directing this season. Wonder who the show's going to lean towards?
    Well, it depends. [and yes, Ball is still exec. prod.] Did Hudis get the boot because he planned to follow the groundwork Ball laid down and take Bill full evil? Yes, it's all there, and no, this mythical Bill-boner of AB's does not exist. The Bill character is a raping, serial killing, human trafficking nightmare. Ball may find him fascinating to write for but he does not 'identify' with Bill to the extent to which he's been accused. Or to any extent. He's illlustrating a 'type' that is, unfortunately, all too familiar in the real world: the powerful, elite predator who will metaphorically [in Bill's case, literally] 'eat you' after he's 'eaten your children'.

In any case, if Hudis did plan to follow through with AB's Bill 'bombs in the garden' I'd be inclined to believe the Moyer 'faction' had pulled off an on set coup by having him fired and replaced. OTOH, if the Moyer 'faction' put Hudis in the showrunnder chair in the first place, but somebody in charge got wind of any whitewashing Bill shenanigans he might have been up to and THAT is why he was fired, then we're all good.

Only time will tell--and the tone and slant of the new season---which side of the fence Hudis fell off.

EDIT: Some people may wonder why an actor would go to so much trouble to make sure his character is portrayed in a sympathetic light. Well, 1. Moyer, in the past, identified himself VERY closely with BC. 2. We're not talking fun, love to hate 'em villain here. We're talking the-actor-who-played-Edith Bunker's--would-be rapist- levels of disgusting villain. No actor wants his character revealed as a cheap, pathetic, wanna-be who can't win without cheating, and who also might possibly be a child molester. [yes I suspect he is. He's def a child murderer. watch and see.] Plus it would make all his fans and defenders [including Moyer] look like idiotic losers who can't tell good from evil. They're all desperately trying to avoid that outcome, at all costs.
    Last edited by Sasha; May 14th, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Kittylady and Sunrider like this.

I've only just found out about Moyer's camp and influence on CH and her site but this is new to me about the show although I knew Ball was very pro Bill. But I think HBO and the producers need to really look hard at the fallout for DEA because despite their direction for Bill just like the books the fandom is Eric centric or even Alcide as the second choice. I also doubt they will end it with Sookie with Sam because other than the first season there is nothing between them. But if they do a similar ending its going to harm them and sales of the DVDs unless this is the final season and they just don't care like CH.

Interesting analysis about the fan fallout from a poster who runs a True Blood fansite. But she has highlighted some of CH's recent comments. Anyone wants to have a bet that in the Coda that Bill finally has his ending with Sookie? The Ancient Pythoness - Charlaine Harris Gives True Blood Fans a True Life Lesson In Propaganda

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    and no, this mythical Bill-boner of AB's does not exist. The Bill character is a raping, serial killing, human trafficking nightmare.
    Not sure I agree with this part - Sookie's "apology" to BC at the end of season 4 made me want to vomit. That was a total whitewash of everything he'd done over the previous 2 (or more) seasons.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Stoopid laptop won't let me copy the article but here's one of the bigger blogs review of Dead Ever After: Dead On Arrival – A Review of Dead Ever After | Sookieverse
    choozen1ne likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Stoopid laptop won't let me copy the article but here's one of the bigger blogs review of Dead Ever After: Dead On Arrival – A Review of Dead Ever After | Sookieverse
    Thanks for the link . I completely agree with everything the review says.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Not sure I agree with this part - Sookie's "apology" to BC at the end of season 4 made me want to vomit. That was a total whitewash of everything he'd done over the previous 2 (or more) seasons.
    Nothing has been whitewashed--yet. [we'll see] That scene was meant to illustrate how damn V-addlepated Sookie is. She's somehow forgotten the Rattray beating and then felt the need to apologize to the guy who caused it. Gurl is fucked up beyond belief. She needs a colloidal silver detox like Alcide's were-bitch. [if BookSookie had been given a forced-drugging excuse like TBSookie has maybe readers could understand her attitude towards her rapist.]

I think you're giving AB and co way too much credit - I learned the hard way when I thought CH was going to come good at the end of the book series. My expectations for TB are even lower now than they were after S4.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Hit By Ban Bus!

CH is no AB-- at least he knows the meaning of artistic integrity. I think you're not giving Ball enough credit.

Well, I just finished reading Dead Ever After. Shit, what a lazy fucking ending. Did she not want to decide between Bill and Eric, so she took the easy, boring, lazy way out? It was terrible. I'm an Eric fan, but I would have rather seen Sookie end up with Bill than Sam. He's as exciting as a wet washcloth. If not a vampire, than why not another fan favorite like Alcide. Shit, Quinn would have been better. I get that she's the author and she writes what she wants to write, but to not listen to your fans at all is pretty shitty. I guess Sookie is a bland and boring as her clothing choices. CH has never made any bones about disliking Eric and not really understanding how people were wanting him to be the romantic lead in the books. I remember reading her saying something about Eric being so unlikeable or something like that. AB seems to feel the same way. I seem to recall him saying something about rooting for Bill/Sookie.

Anyway, I can't express how lame this really is.

Thread Information