Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Charlaine Harris' latest Sookie book info is up!

Ah yes, her new series. I like how she dropped little plugs for that last Sookie book and her new series as if anyone really care at this point.

I can't believe how badly she's handled the aftermath. I don't know what the right thing would have been to do, but it was clearly the polar opposite of what she wound up doing.

Wow. I knew the backlash was going to be bad but I've never seen a bestselling author's book decimated like this. Even the fangirl reviews right now can't keep up. Wonder if CH is now regretting that ending because she assumed it was about the vocal crazy minority of Eric fangirls right? Well looking at the reviews and a lot of them aren't complaining about the HEA but the entire book. No amount of spin is going to help her on this one.
    And this is the same on other review sites as well.
    Dead Ever After: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood): Charlaine Harris: 9781937007881: Amazon.com: Books

So pissed off, I had pre-ordered on iTunes ages ago but when the spoilers came out I went into my Purchases and cancelled it - but it's turned up this morning on my iPad. It's not just the money, I didn't want her to notch up another sale and there's no way I can cancel it because it's there in my library. I'm still not going to read it though because it will just make me angry.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Amazon allows returns. I think you can email and return especially if you haven't opened the file. You can say you bought it by mistake.

no, tell the truth: you sent it by mistake and I want my money back.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Wow. I knew the backlash was going to be bad but I've never seen a bestselling author's book decimated like this. Even the fangirl reviews right now can't keep up. Wonder if CH is now regretting that ending because she assumed it was about the vocal crazy minority of Eric fangirls right? Well looking at the reviews and a lot of them aren't complaining about the HEA but the entire book. No amount of spin is going to help her on this one.
    Dead Ever After: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood): Charlaine Harris: 9781937007881: Amazon.com: Books
    Damn, that's brutal. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    CH went through the Wall Street Journal to do damage control, and by 'damage control' I mean slander her entire readership:

How to Kill a Vampire (Series) - WSJ.com
    When you've dug yourself into a hole then the best thing to do is stop digging and try and climb out, not invite everyone who has paid for your shovel to come along and cover you over.

Mwahahahaha!

5 star reviews: 80
    4 star reviews: 43
    3 star reviews: 31
    2 star reviews: 51
    1 star reviews: 278

I've also heard of a new reason to get snippy with CH; I've been hearing lately (although I don't know how true it is) that Stephanie Meyer changed her plans for the Twilight series in response to the fan reaction to Twinklevamp and Miss Codependent's pairing. I fucking loathe Twilight and it pains me to say anything positive about the series or its author but if this is true then it shows that Meyer has more brains and less ego than Harris.

When she was working on "Dead Ever After," she found herself juggling seven story lines. She kept track of the dangling narrative threads by sticking Post-it Notes around her computer monitor.
    She'd never last at GR is she can't handle her post-its. But the problems with continuity isn't down to the size of the series; very early on in the books there was a small side character who's husband's name changed from one book to the next. I'd go and look it up to see who it was but my books are already boxed for the next time I'm doing a charity shop run.
    Last edited by Kittylady; May 9th, 2013 at 03:29 AM.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Hit By Ban Bus!

Anyone here read it? Some folk on tumblr are expressing the suspicion that CH didn't write DEA. Opinions?

I think she wrote it. She's just tired of writing the series and it showed in the last few books. CH checked out mentally and emotionally a long and I think the True Blood deal was her deal with the devil. I think she began to resent it because it affected her direction of the books and began to hate writing it although she became hugely popular with the success.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think she wrote it. She's just tired of writing the series and it showed in the last few books. CH checked out mentally and emotionally a long and I think the True Blood deal was her deal with the devil. I think she began to resent it because it affected her direction of the books and began to hate writing it although she became hugely popular with the success.
    Even if she was tired of it, and I'm not saying she wasn't, that doesn't explain the hatchet job she did on Sookie and Eric while leaving Sookie's rapist Bill in the cat bird seat. The thing that best explains her careeracide to me is the cadre of unpaid Moyer publicists she surrounds herself with [and whom she allowed to write parts of the Companion book] who apparently believed the outcome of her books would influence Bill/Moyer's outcome on TB.
    Kittylady likes this.

Definitely with you about the hachet job from reading the detailed spoilers and excerpts. Majority of reviews and I include the middling and meh ones stating that the characters were out of character. But CH is too much of a control freak and since she admitted herself in interviews she had post it notes on her screen to keep up with plot lines. Which isn't a good way to track characters and backstory. Also I am surprised she didn't have a series bible at this point or her assistant having a binder and a better way to tie things up in note form.

But I do think she really resents Eric's popularity the fact is compounded that he's popular in the tv show as well. Maybe she got the heads-up that his role in the show is going to end much better and that drove the final nail in the coffin. Unlike other authors and producers do respond back to fan feedback when a plot or character becomes popular. Her issue is that she's not skilled in writing what she feels and thinks on paper and transferring that to the reader especially with Sam and Eric. She shoe-horned his ending and even most Sam fans aren't happy. I really do think she's should just stick to mysteries because she's not going to engage the PNR/UF readers in the future even those who are happy with the ending. She's not comfortable writing heroes who are dangerous or overshadow the heroine which Eric has and it has happened in previous series as well. Problem is that this genre build-up on characters like this.

It is also not a good sign she's surrounded herself fans and sycophants she's not getting any real critical feedback and that is not a good thing. From her response she's not really happy with any kind of criticism especially if it goes against her vision and I think with the way she was influenced in not killing off certain characters like Bill, that was leaked a few years back. I think this made her more stubborn to stick this ending but I doubt she's really considered that it would cause a shit-storm because unlike the last time, that had a smaller readership. And her sales of her graphic series and the Sookie spinnoff featuring Mr C and Quinn is going to be interesting. I doubt it will be as successful and I think she[s already started to gain anti-fans ala LKH and that is not a good thing.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Definitely with you about the hachet job from reading the detailed spoilers and excerpts. Majority of reviews and I include the middling and meh ones stating that the characters were out of character. But CH is too much of a control freak and since she admitted herself in interviews she had post it notes on her screen to keep up with plot lines. Which isn't a good way to track characters and backstory. Also I am surprised she didn't have a series bible at this point or her assistant having a binder and a better way to tie things up in note form.

But I do think she really resents Eric's popularity the fact is compounded that he's popular in the tv show as well. Maybe she got the heads-up that his role in the show is going to end much better and that drove the final nail in the coffin. Unlike other authors and producers do respond back to fan feedback when a plot or character becomes popular. Her issue is that she's not skilled in writing what she feels and thinks on paper and transferring that to the reader especially with Sam and Eric. She shoe-horned his ending and even most Sam fans aren't happy. I really do think she's should just stick to mysteries because she's not going to engage the PNR/UF readers in the future even those who are happy with the ending. She's not comfortable writing heroes who are dangerous or overshadow the heroine which Eric has and it has happened in previous series as well. Problem is that this genre build-up on characters like this.

It is also not a good sign she's surrounded herself fans and sycophants she's not getting any real critical feedback and that is not a good thing. From her response she's not really happy with any kind of criticism especially if it goes against her vision and I think with the way she was influenced in not killing off certain characters like Bill, that was leaked a few years back. I think this made her more stubborn to stick this ending but I doubt she's really considered that it would cause a shit-storm because unlike the last time, that had a smaller readership. And her sales of her graphic series and the Sookie spinnoff featuring Mr C and Quinn is going to be interesting. I doubt it will be as successful and I think she[s already started to gain anti-fans ala LKH and that is not a good thing.
    People have written about LKH as a parallel to this disaster but I don't know what that's all about?

Anyway, this resentment of Eric you speak of is real but it didn't start until the show aired. That's when the Moyer fans flocked to her forum and pretty much took over the place. ya'll should go see for yourself. A lot of them are saying they wished Sookie and Bill had FUCKED in DEA. FFS. /tangent Anyway, not only did they take over but they befriended her in real life. This isn't in dispute! One of them is her continuity editor, who I think is the same one who wrote those infamous whitewash e-mails between Eric and Bill in the Companion? Not sure. In any case, these women are rabid defenders of Bill/Moyer, who they see as one entity, a delusional conflation encouraged by Moyer himself, at least in the first 3 or 4 seasons. These women---and many actors, it must be said---feel that whatever happens to his character will have an effect on his career, or perhaps just how he is perceived? I think Moyer has defended his character to SUCH an extent that he will look foolish if TB Bill turns out to be the horror show I've always strongly suspected, and which anyone could see is quickly coming to fruition. They are so desperate for this character to 'triumph' or whatever the fuck their pathological delusions demand be satisfied, that they're capable of all sorts of shenanigans. I've seen them take over TB boards and literally ban criticism of Bill but allow it of Eric! Same on CH's board. You can say practically anything about Eric but woe betide you if you cite, chapter and verse, the rapes and other abuses Bill got away with. And that's the other thing---those bombs in the garden regarding Bill that were dropped like hot potatoes once his defenders landed on the beach of this fandom. [all but irrelevant now in TB discussions, they're crowing over DEA] This disaster is all about Moyer, truly. His fans believe or rather they HOPE that the denouement of the books will influence TB writers. [and perhaps ousted showrunner Hudis was ousted either because he was going to make SURE Bill was unmasked, or his plan was to whitewash the whole thing as CH has done. We'll have to wait and see.]

I know, I know, but Moyer is just one of those celebs, you know? His rapey comments? He will never live that down in my eyes.
    Last edited by Sasha; May 10th, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Kittylady likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

And lookey which TB pic they chose…

Charlaine Harris threatened by fans over final Sookie Stackhouse novel Author of longrunning vampire saga – inspiration for TV's True Blood – becomes target of online vitriol for her choice of ending

Bad blood … Charlaine Harris says she wrote the best book she could. Photograph: Rob Monk/Future Publishing/Rex Features

Death threats, suicide threats and more prosaic threats to cancel book orders have followed the publication of Charlaine Harris's final novel about the telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse this week, after the American novelist gave her bestselling series a romantic conclusion that not everyone was happy with.
    Running for 13 years, the series – on which the television show True Blood is based – is set in a world where vampires and other supernatural creatures live alongside humans. The 13th and final novel, Dead Ever After, concludes Sookie's romantic adventures and sees her making a choice between three potential suitors: the vampires Bill and Eric, and the shapeshifter Sam. An early copy was leaked online by a fan in Germany last week, prompting an outpouring of bile on Amazon, Goodreads and Harris's Facebook page, with thousands of comments posted by fans furious about the choice Sookie made.
    "After that ending, who wants to egg Harris's house with me?" wrote one reader. "Well I wanted to read this book but now I have no desire to. In fact, I cancelled my order," wrote another.
    Harris told the Wall Street Journal that she had also received emails saying "if Sookie doesn't end up with Eric, I'm going to kill myself", as well as death threats.
    "I wrote the best book I could, and I'm confident I stayed true to the characters I'd been writing for so many years. It's disappointing to have people impugn my character in such a personal way, but I hope on the whole that many people are entertained by the book and find it a satisfying end to Sookie's adventures," Harris wrote on Facebook, prompting nearly 2,000 more comments, ranging from "We are disappointed and feel cheated and I personally regret I have contributed my bit to make you more rich and famous" to "Hated Dead Ever After and returned it for a complete refund".
    Bill and Sookie in the first series of True Blood
    Harris's UK editor, Gillian Redfearn at Gollancz, said she was "quite saddened" by the reaction, but put it down to "a very small minority" of readers. "They've been reading the books for the romance and have identified with a particular relationship, and when they've realised it's not happening they are angry, they take it very personally and feel they can tell [Harris] that," she said. "She [Harris] said she didn't want to go on tour for this book because she didn't want to be face to face with that … She was prepared for it, she knew people would be unhappy."
    But despite threats from fans online that they would cancel their orders after the ending was leaked in Germany, Redfearn said that "99% of readers didn't see the ending, and we've actually had a lot of very positive comments from real readers [and] we've got our fingers very much crossed that it will go in at No 1" next week.
    On Amazon, Dead Ever After has received 366 one-star reviews, compared with 124 five-star reviews. One reader described the "extreme disappointment" they felt with the novel by pointing to a blog post claiming that "if Charlaine Harris had written the Harry Potter series, the end of Deathly Hallows would have Harry sleeping in the cupboard under the stairs with the spiders and no magic. While Voldemort would move in across the street, taunt him daily, and dispense life advice."
    Harris said on her blog that "the past two weeks have been tumultuous", and that she'd "seen lots of ugliness, and even more kindness. I've seen lots of irrationality, and lots more sense. Some virulent hatred, and much more love. I'm going with the love.
    "I'll be happy to put this behind me and go back to doing what makes me happiest: writing the best books I can. This has been my pattern for 32 years, from way before the Sookie books, and I hope it'll be my pattern for a few more," she wrote. "Being alone with a computer (or a typewriter, or a pad and pencil) can ill-equip a writer for the strong and widely assorted reactions of readers. I think I'd written four books before I ever met anyone who'd read one of them! It astounded me. It still astounds me. I'm turning away from the controversy to face the remainder of a very busy year."
    Next up for the author is a graphic novel, Cemetery Girl. "I think fans would have been even more furious if she'd said because it was doing really well she'd do five more [Sookie] books," said Redfearn. "It's better to come to an end on a high."

Charlaine Harris threatened by fans over final Sookie Stackhouse novel | Books | guardian.co.uk

Hit By Ban Bus!

edit
    Last edited by Sasha; May 10th, 2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: double post

Thread Information