Login to remove the ads!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Books on your shelves that you've never read

^^ LOL. That one is actually pretty good.

I have tried reading Sociopath Next Door and wasn't able to finish it. One of my good friends adores that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I have tried to read that 10 times since my teenage years. I never get past page 100.
    Lucky you! I have never gotten past page 50 of Anna Karenina!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

To Kill A Mockingbird.

I'm so embarrassed.

Oh dear...go get it, sit down and read it. You will not regret it. It's absolutely wonderful.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Chuck Klosterman - Sex, drugs and cocoa puffs.

I bought it after reading his Killing yourself to live, which I liked, but this one seems too much, mainly because I don't know half of what he is writing about. I'll go back and read select pieces of it sometime.

Also, when my grandma died I raided her bookshelves for classics such as: Gone with the wind, The idiot, Faust, the divine comedy, war and peace... Haven't read a single one, but they look impressive on my bookshelf. I did read some of her Shakespeare though.

i found another one. caesar's gallic wars. i had to buy it for latin translations. now it just sits there on my shelves, collecting dust.

Well, I did read Wuthering Heights, so I no longer have any unread books except those I've purchased recently and not gotten to yet. And can I just say it was a colossal waste of time. Blech.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Also, when my grandma died I raided her bookshelves for classics such as: Gone with the wind, The idiot, Faust, the divine comedy, war and peace... Haven't read a single one, but they look impressive on my bookshelf. I did read some of her Shakespeare though.

Damn, your granny had great taste! GWTW is great, as is the Idiot, War and Peace, etc. Get to them...you'll love them.

Hmm...I haven't read Wuthering Heights. I may have to give it a shot.

Oh, and when I moved I tossed everything I hadn't read and didn't think I ever would so now I'm down to about 25 unread books waiting by my bedside. I really need to stop buying them.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Damn, your granny had great taste! GWTW is great, as is the Idiot, War and Peace, etc. Get to them...you'll love them.
    She loved to read, and she probably had every classic. But I just can't bring myself to start reading them. It seems like such a heavy read. GWTW is in three volumes, the idiot in two and War and peace is in three.

How the hell is GWTW in three volumes? It's just one big, fat, 1000 page book that rocks. It's really good and gives so much more insight into the characters. I love the movie but love the book more.

--Sinclair Lewis

This copy was printed in 1969, and it's got around 1000 pages. But it's psychological. With one book you can see that you're getting somewhere, but knowing that after the first one you still have two to go. Naah, it'll have to wait.

Hit By Ban Bus!

This is also a prob with me. The first one in my list is War and Peace, which I think most of you know - why I've named it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly View Post
    This is also a prob with me. The first one in my list is War and Peace, which I think most of you know - why I've named it.
    It's on my list too. I got about 50 pages in; the author is truly gifted with his way of describing characters and interactions, but theres just so much of it to read!

The Confessions of Max Tivoli. Bought that one some time ago and just never read it.

Also, Love & Hydrogen & other stories.

Sorry if I posted these before but I see the thread was revived.

Silver Member

i've read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy several times, they are much better than the LOTR movies that just could not do the books justice. i fell in love with the characters and laughed and cried with them. and yes they are in my book collection. though they are a newer set that i have not read. these were a gift later. i am pleased to have them though. i do believe i have marked them up. some of the best lines are in them that are true "life verses" to live by. in fact i may find one to use for my quote to use here. good idea!!

one great quote from King Aragorn, (not verbatim), to the Hobbits, "you shall bow to no one". most excellent!! you do need a little background to fully take in the meaning but its SO good.

books i have not read - mostly were gifts and i have regifted them since i was not interested in them. i am not a keeper of things i do not use or have an interest in. better to pass them on to someone that can make use of it. the titles escape me, except for The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. was not at all interested.
    Last edited by zigzag; August 13th, 2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: to answer original question of this thread

as you can tell by my name I am a big Viggo Mortenson lover so I loved him in the LOTR movies but I have heard from several people who have read the books that the movies left out some parts. I do have the series at home as my husband has read them several times but I have not yet done so.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Silver Member

viggofan - do read the books and start with The Hobbit. you'll love it and them!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information