Login to remove the ads!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Books on your shelves that you've never read

I tried to be smart and picked up Gravity's Rainbow. Now it just laughs at me as it rests between Michael Connelly and Dr. Seuss books.
    Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money.

Playboy.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've never been able to read The Crimson Pedal and the White and any of my husbands dozen or so cook books.

Elite Member

The Secret I'm going to loan it to my mom and then never ask for it back.

I've got limited space, so I am rather particular about what books I buy, but I do have Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash taunting me. I tried to read Cryptonomicon and it bored me to death, but I bought Snow Crash on a recommendation. I'll have to read it soon or donate it.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Playboy.

Grimm, I heart you. Seriously.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    I've got limited space, so I am rather particular about what books I buy, but I do have Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash taunting me. I tried to read Cryptonomicon and it bored me to death, but I bought Snow Crash on a recommendation. I'll have to read it soon or donate it.
    Read it, read it, read it! ZOMG, read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!one
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Wicked. I've tried to read it literally about 50 times, and I can't get into it. I always lose interest after the first couple of chapters, and I find the writing style hard to follow and somewhat boring.
    Argh, me too! I normally stick with books, but yeah, that one really didn't click with me...I really wanted to enjoy it as well.

I usually buy books from charity shops, read 'em once and take them back! I also use the library. I'm a quick reader so spending 8 on a book I'll only read once is a bit of a waste!

ew, I hated Snowcrash. it was written by some ADD suffering weirdo, it zips along, barely coherent and then eventually dissolves under all its meta-social hipster technomasturbation referencing.. which, i suppose, could be the point of the novel, but still.. irritating reading experience.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Playboy.
    LOL, but hey aren't they known for great articles?

I was just thinking today I need to stop buying books at the goodwill until I finish the ones currently on the shelf. I have yet to read the Doctors Wife, and The Memory Keepers Daughter, although they both look like good reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    OMG what a story I have to tell! Well not that big really. Some twat told me to read LOTR so I started but it honestly bored the buggery out of me for reasons a lot of people will understand. But he didn't understand, he got in a rage and told me off for being illiterate (this coming from a guy who doesn't understand the complexities of To Kill A Mockingbird ) and said that it was my loss. I told him that it really truly wasn't my loss, in fact it was my gain of 50 hours of struggling through something I knew I'd never like. Needless to say we don't talk anymore.
    Even my grandmother said that she tried reading The Hobbit but couldn't get past page 50. And that really shocked me.

Anyway I have about 50 books I haven't read yet. I buy more books than DVD's these days. There's The Stand, incomplete. Atonement, same. Eclipse, working on. Catch 22, can never get into it. And a shitload more.
    The Hobbit bored me to tears! I tried reading it on several different occasions and every time I would quit after the third chapter. By the way, I read Catch 22 in high school and I think it is beyond dull.

As for books that I haven't read yet, I have to say A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has been following me around for years. I have always wanted to read it but every time I decide to start a new book I bypass it. Also, I read about 300 pages of Arabian Nights and decided to give it up.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

Life of Pi, The Lovely Bones, My Sisters Keeper, Little Women.. great books I just never got around to reading. Must make a commitment to read them.

the lovely bones is highly overrated. i think alice siebold is kind of a crap writer actually. you can skip that one altogether IMO though a lot of people will probably disagree.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yea.. a lot of the books I listed are on book club lists or bestsellers.. I prefer a great piece of literature than the more contemporary stuff, to be honest. I need to go book shopping.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information