Login to remove the ads!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Books on your shelves that you've never read

I have never finished LoTR, I got halfway through the third book and had ENOUGH!

Chalk me up for another 'Life of Pi' non-finisher. I just didn't enjoy it.

Another book I won't be reading is this-

because I ordered this!!----Caiman cocked up my order.

(Yes, I am a nerd. lol)

I got 'Unbuilt Toronto' in the post yesterday and was a little non-plussed...but, oh joy of joys, I get to keep it! Why couldn't it have been a book I WANTED? ah well. Maybe Grimm wants it?

Some months ago I got sick of feeling guilted by having The Picture of Dorian Gray, Tender is the Night, and Pride and Prejudice staring at me from my shelves, so I read them in quick succession.

Now it is mainly history books by ancient authors I haven't gotten 'round to reading. I love such books but they are not exactly light reading and require a greater attention span than I seem to have nowadays, so they sit. Particularly troublesome is Tacitus, which I've had for ten freaking years. One day, I tell myself... one day. My husband sometimes picks up books he's had for even longer and finally reads them, so that gives me hope.

When I own the books, I feel like I can read them at any time, so I end up reading library books with a due date first.

'stranger in a strange land' by robert heinlein has been sitting on my shelf for more than 2 years. i haven't read it because i came across a thread, titled 'what is the worst book you've ever read?' and this book got more than 90% of the votes behind its name. more than half of those voters even wanted to burn it, apparently it is that awful... i really do not know what to do with it.

also, every jane austen novel. i love all the movie and tv adaptations of her novels but i can't seem to get into the books themselves.

Les Misérables is the number one book I'm guilty of with this. I won't admit how many times I've picked it up and not been able to get out of the first chapter.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I read a lot so it is rare for me to leave a book for too long without reading it. The one exception is Philip K Dick's Eye In The Sky. A friend is a serious fan and gave me a copy as a gift. Four years later and I haven't even opened it. They should have known better than to give it to me, to be honest, as they know I've never been able to even sit through Blade Runner and stay awake, never mind want to try any of Dick's books.

Oh, gosh. I have many. Which is really sad.
    Anna Karenina. I know. Must read it. I bought it years ago.

I cant resist a book,i have to give it a try..so i ve started some lately and then lost interest,author,s fault.
    I am redoing the house as my eldest girl moved out recently and it took me 2 days for the books only.
    I put aside many,cause i love to read old books again and again..
    Reality is an illusion caused by extreme lack of alcohol.

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen, I just can't get into it.. I keep getting lost with all the characters being brought in, half of them don't seem to be necessary. I had to keep going to back to remember who that person was so i gave up.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I don't really have many... I do buy books I know I'm interested in "in advance" if I see them on sale or something, but I do end up reading them eventually, usually within 6 months or so of purchase. I've been treading through No Logo very slowly, because it's too big to read in bed (I read lying down on my side, not sitting up in bed). I have had a unread copy of Wuthering Heights on my shelf for a bit, but then again I only have it because someone left it here... I'll read it eventually.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^ I read No Logo back when it came out. My copy is oversized as well. I really enjoyed it.

I have a few fictional books that I bought and never finished.....Who's Who In Hell, The Sheltering Sky, The National Book Award Winner.....I just couldn't get into them
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I have had a unread copy of Wuthering Heights on my shelf for a bit, but then again I only have it because someone left it here... I'll read it eventually.
    My copy of WH lay untouched until 2 years ago when I finally read it, because it was either that or Les Misérables. It took me a few chapters to get into it, and truthfully, I never really did. It may be a classic, but it didn't spark for me.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I used to have a lot of books. I used to move a lot and eventually they stayed packed. Then I de-cluttered and sold most of them.

Now I use the library and only buy cookbooks, reference books and books that I know I want to read over and over.

I still have a few I own that I haven't read. Mostly classics like the new translation of War and Peace that came out last year.

the kite runner. i don't know why i just haven't gotten round to reading it.
    then there are a few more i got as gifts but which i know are crap and i've kept them out of guilt/laziness.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Wicked. I've tried to read it literally about 50 times, and I can't get into it. I always lose interest after the first couple of chapters, and I find the writing style hard to follow and somewhat boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I read a lot so it is rare for me to leave a book for too long without reading it. The one exception is Philip K Dick's Eye In The Sky. A friend is a serious fan and gave me a copy as a gift. Four years later and I haven't even opened it. They should have known better than to give it to me, to be honest, as they know I've never been able to even sit through Blade Runner and stay awake, never mind want to try any of Dick's books.
    PKD's books are not the same as his movies! Cliche, but true. Try Ubik.
    Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information