Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book shop clerks who can't spell.

SVZ

Default Re: Book shop clerks who can't spell.

17-year-old high school dropout who had fathered a child and was working a low-paying job at an auto showroom.

S
    till smarter than the vice president!!!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Yeah...the kid at least, can hold onto a job.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Erm, I explained what it was about in the sense that it was the singer from Red Hot Chilli Pepper's AUTOBIOGRAPHY. And since I didn't have the title or the author confused, yet she was still standing there like a dumbass even before she asked how it was spelled....wait a second. Why exactly are you having a go at me because I think a book store clerk should be able to spell? That is just plain odd. Sorry your book store clerking experience was so, um, trying.
    Hmmm...I was asking a few questions "not having a go" at you. Sensitive? I still don't think a bookclerk is required to know how to intuit every variant of a surname especially since most information she will be given is wrong. Does "standing there like a dumb ass" meaning preparing to play mindreader? because that is what the job is...how was she to know you weren't a dumbass? My suggestion would be to write it down on a piece of paper, or better yet, bring a printout from your PC with the ISBN number (easily found on Amazon)...and don't feel the need to add, I saw it on TV and the cover was green. See, wasn't that easier?

It sounds like one of those times where the brain just doesn't interpret normal words properly... and I'm not talking about the clerk being dumb, or a weird medical problem, it's just something I see happen (and personally experience) quite a bit. Like, you said "Scar Tissue" and the clerk just wasn't in the same headspace as you, and it just didn't compute. I don't know if that makes any sense, I hope it isn't just me this happens to! It's like I can hear a perfectly normal word or turn of phrase, and even if the enunciation/accent was clear, my brain is like "Was that one word, or three? I feel like I know those words, but for some reason I can't wrap my brain around them!"
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Hmmm...I was asking a few questions "not having a go" at you. Sensitive? I still don't think a bookclerk is required to know how to intuit every variant of a surname especially since most information she will be given is wrong. Does "standing there like a dumb ass" meaning preparing to play mindreader? because that is what the job is...how was she to know you weren't a dumbass? My suggestion would be to write it down on a piece of paper, or better yet, bring a printout from your PC with the ISBN number (easily found on Amazon)...and don't feel the need to add, I saw it on TV and the cover was green. See, wasn't that easier?

I'm confused....why are you so worked up about this? The whole point of the thread was that the clerk couldn't spell 'Scar Tissue' and in my rather humble opinion, I consider being able to spell something of a job requirement for working in a shop devoted to words. Perhaps you disagree, although I can't imagine why you would. And again, why you're having a go at me over this is all very mysterious. Perhaps you were the clerk in question?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I'm confused....why are you so worked up about this? The whole point of the thread was that the clerk couldn't spell 'Scar Tissue' and in my rather humble opinion, I consider being able to spell something of a job requirement for working in a shop devoted to words. Perhaps you disagree, although I can't imagine why you would. And again, why you're having a go at me over this is all very mysterious. Perhaps you were the clerk in question?
    No, I was not the clerk...I do not live up URANUS, you do.

I'm not sure what the problem is or why you're on the attack but I'll politely ask you to knock it off. For whatever reason, you find my comments about this anonymous shop clerk offensive. I have no idea why nor do I care why but don't attack me. I think book clerks should be able to spell. You obviously don't consider it important. Big fucking deal.

--Sinclair Lewis

I'm not sure what the problem is or why you're on the attack but I'll politely ask you to knock it off. For whatever reason, you find my comments about this anonymous shop clerk offensive. I have no idea why nor do I care why but don't attack me. I think book clerks should be able to spell. You obviously don't consider it important. Big fucking deal.
    I was not offended...I was trying to give you an idea of where the individual might be coming from ...you were mosyly interested in having your opinion rubberstamped? I have a right to my opinions too. How is that attacking you?

Not interested in having my opinion rubber stamped but also not interested in debating how people behave in a book shop. The examples you related had nothing to do with my rant so I remain a tad confused about what your issue is. But at the end of the day, I don't actually care all that much. Again, I think book store clerks should be able to spell, particularly something as simple as 'Scar Tissue'. She couldn't and I found it frustratingly amusing. But, yet again, why am I continuing to discuss this? I find your posts argumentative for no other reason than to be argumentative. I must run now and help solve the Middle East crisis. There are some things more important than semantics.

--Sinclair Lewis

1) If you can't spell Scar Tissue by the time you're old enough to be legally employed, and you have no medical explanation, you're a fucking retard.

2) If you can't spell Scar Tissue by the time you're old enough to be legally employed, and you have no medical explanation, you're a fucking retard and should NOT be be employed in an establishment that sells the very thing you would be unable to write.

/end
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information