Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any Christian fiction readers aboard?

^^ Thank you. Quakers are inclusive, tolerant, and into equality of all kinds. The Quakers I've known are fully integrated into mainstream society, and it seems pretty easy to attend a Friends meeting. They encourage a direct experience of Christ, rather than pummeling people with dogma. The idea is to develop your inner life and be your own moral authority. And to do good in the world.

A very cool religion, very simple and sincere--maybe my favorite.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I'll testify to that as well. My cousins attended Brooklyn Friends School, a prep school run by Quakers, and I've known some. They're progressive, tolerant and all live in the modern world with all that it entails. Not remotely like traditional Mennonites or Amish.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    By "fundie" I mean that they embrace a very fundamental, simple, no frills form of Christianity. It's difficult to believe sometimes but there are still quite a few Christians out there who aren't right wing GOP nutters.
    Gotcha. I was just going off the usual usage of fundie around here, which isn't flattering.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i wouldn't put the quakers in with the amish and mennonites. if anything, just based on the gender issue, quakers are much more progressive. mennonites and the amish are way more traditional when it comes to women.
    Right, but the Quakers and Mennonites do have ties- there is (or was) such a thing as Mennonite-Quakers. That was my only point in mentioning them.

I wasn't bagging on the Quakers at all- I think highly of their religion.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Actually,you can get the full Bible at SamsClub. Read by James Earl Jones,sounding very much like the Almighty!
    Now, if they can do some pagan literature with JEJ, I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Modern Amish quilts are not very well made. Except for a few really top-notch quilters, they use polyester fill and cheap poly-cotton fabric. The wordworking is mediocre, too--it's usually done quickly for the English who they assume don't know quality. They're right. Canning/bread making, etc. depends on the individual woman doing it. I got some truly horrifying preserves this year--watery and with a dubious seal.

The Amish women I see with regularity often looked whipped and dead-eyed by the time they're 20. They're not spunky heroines with shiny hair.

I'm not saying their lifestyle is bad or they're all miserable. It's just foolish and insulting to reduce them to a romantic stereotype.
    Wa????

And yeah, its hard work, in all weathers if you're outside...

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I guess I don't get why reading these fictional books would be so enlightening. If you want to learn the reality of these people's lives, why not get a non-fiction book about it? That would be a hell of a lot more interesting to me than some romantic novelization of these groups.
    Probably so that they can romanticise the notion of hard manual labour, working the fields (in all weather), etc, etc, etc.
    The truth about living in the country is unpalletable to many & thats not with an Amish way of life. When I talk to my friends about how the electric goes off (regularly) or the water is frozen in winter they're horrified....
    Free Charmed.

A*O

If they have to rely, literally, on horse power then hard manual labour for other things is the only alternative they have! I can see the appeal of the traditional simplicity of their lives and I'd certainly like to try some kind of Amish "retreat" for a while but I don't think I could make it permanent. I like my creature comforts too much. Sad but true.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Novice, were you asking about the "English"? That's what the Amish call all non-Amish folk. (Not English like from England, but English like English-speakers.)

I loved the Babylon Rising Series a lot more than the Left Behind series. I can't wait for the 5th one. Its pretty much like Indiana Jones looking for real biblical artifacts and someone is always trying to kill him. Thats what I like. Add a superhero element and I will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Novice, were you asking about the "English"? That's what the Amish call all non-Amish folk. (Not English like from England, but English like English-speakers.)
    Yes I was! Thanks for explaining that, it just looked weird to someone that didn't know the term!

I was wondering why the English (i.e. Brits) wouldn't know good woodworking from bad...

It sounds very much hit & miss; depending on what you get from whom... How come their foods don't have to apply to the food hygiene rules - or do they? & its just the manufacture that is "dodgy"...
    Free Charmed.

The sell food from roadside stands or at flea-market type places, not in regular stores (that I've seen, anyway), so it's all hit-or-miss.

Ah so that's how they get around the other regulations too..
    Free Charmed.

for what?
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ A bridge to sit under?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Jesus, I am your father
    Christ, I nearly destroyed my laptop laughing out my drink.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    My mom is a big fan of Amish fiction, as well as immigration fiction based in the 19th or 20th century. She likes reading about times or environments that aren't littered with technology or the modern thoughts of sexuality. It's her enjoyment, so I respect that. Anyhoo, I'll ask her what her favorites are and post them here.

I do know that she loves the author Janette Oke, who is a Christian based writer that bases her stories in the 19th century I think. She's written such books as Love's Enduring Promise, Love Takes A Wing, Love's Abiding Joy, etc. You might like to check those out.
    IF she likes immigration fiction she should try The Emmigrants by Wilhelm Moberg. It's a series of four books about the mass emmigration of Swedes to North America. They're a very interesting and good read, and helps understand why people were willing to risk so much for a chance at a different life.
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If they have to rely, literally, on horse power then hard manual labour for other things is the only alternative they have! I can see the appeal of the traditional simplicity of their lives and I'd certainly like to try some kind of Amish "retreat" for a while but I don't think I could make it permanent. I like my creature comforts too much. Sad but true.
    I can see a retreat like that as well and do see the attraction in the simpler life. I toy with the idea of 'going country' at times, but then start thinking about the boredom.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Okay I found one:

Forgiven, Sisters of the Heart Series #3
    Shelley Shepard Gray
    Retail Price: $12.99
    CBD Price: $9.99
    Buy 68 or more of this product and pay only $9.49 each.
    ( In Stock )

Excerpt
    Too bad they didn't round it up to 69.

Amazon.com: Shadowmancer: Taylor G. P.: Books
    Anyone read Shadowmancer yet? I just finished it recently and I think it wasnt half a bad read. Though, Ill be honest, it takes awhile to get good. Surprisingly its only $3.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information