Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any Christian fiction readers aboard?

Modern Amish quilts are not very well made. Except for a few really top-notch quilters, they use polyester fill and cheap poly-cotton fabric. The wordworking is mediocre, too--it's usually done quickly for the English who they assume don't know quality. They're right. Canning/bread making, etc. depends on the individual woman doing it. I got some truly horrifying preserves this year--watery and with a dubious seal.

The Amish women I see with regularity often looked whipped and dead-eyed by the time they're 20. They're not spunky heroines with shiny hair.

I'm not saying their lifestyle is bad or they're all miserable. It's just foolish and insulting to reduce them to a romantic stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Actually,you can get the full Bible at SamsClub. Read by James Earl Jones,sounding very much like the Almighty!
    dude.. DARTH VADER READING THE BIBLE?~! that's a few irony points right there.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Jesus, I am your father
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    the only christian fiction i've ever read is the bible......
    Are you ridiculously insinuating that talking serpents and talking burning bushes and talking clouds are FAKE??

Okay, as a non-Christian and borderline athiest...I have to admit to reading Beverly Lewis (Amish fiction, mentioned in posts above) and LOVING it. I am not being sarcastic. I was shocked by some of the things that go on in the Amish community that I was never aware of. Beverly Lewis spent a LOT of time with the Amish and her storylines have authenticity. The characters were very real and fascinating to me, and it more complex/sometimes darker than you might think. She is a fantastic fiction writer.

I started reading one of her series just out of curiosity (I live close to many HEAVILY populated Amish areas but know very little about them)....and ending up enjoying her books.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

A*O

Slightly OT but I was on a cruiseship recently visiting Alaska and there was a large "Amish" family on board too. I think they were probably Mennonites or one of the other fundie sects because I doubt Amish would take a cruise or use mobile phones, etc which I saw these people doing. But they were dressed like Amish with the patriarch in full white beard, black hat and braces (suspenders) and the women/girls had the white bonnets, simple long dresses, etc. Everyone was staring at them because they looked so out of place. I wondered if perhaps they were going to Alaska as missionaries or the father was the new pastor of a community up there.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I see Mennonites at museums all the time. They value education much more than the Amish, so I assume they would see the value of travel as well.

Amish use cell phones, though. The kids are allowed to have them until they join the church as adults and the adults use the kids's phones. I believe some groups allow cell phones for the adults if you don't bring them in the house, too.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

My mom is a big fan of Amish fiction, as well as immigration fiction based in the 19th or 20th century. She likes reading about times or environments that aren't littered with technology or the modern thoughts of sexuality. It's her enjoyment, so I respect that. Anyhoo, I'll ask her what her favorites are and post them here.

I do know that she loves the author Janette Oke, who is a Christian based writer that bases her stories in the 19th century I think. She's written such books as Love's Enduring Promise, Love Takes A Wing, Love's Abiding Joy, etc. You might like to check those out.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Jesus, I am your father

Love it!!!

I guess I don't get why reading these fictional books would be so enlightening. If you want to learn the reality of these people's lives, why not get a non-fiction book about it? That would be a hell of a lot more interesting to me than some romantic novelization of these groups.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Silver Member

Algernon, Beverly Lewis is one of my favorite authors, she is one that has roots in the Amish faith. you may want to try Wanda Brunstetter if you enjoy the Amish fiction. hers are equally as good. thanks for the favorable comment. and isn't it amazing the struggles they face that are often woven thru several generations? so very sad.

Beverly's newest book, The Missing is out now, her next book, Telling is due out in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I guess I don't get why reading these fictional books would be so enlightening. If you want to learn the reality of these people's lives, why not get a non-fiction book about it? That would be a hell of a lot more interesting to me than some romantic novelization of these groups.
    I will venture to guess it's because people are looking for the entertainment of fantasy, moreso than the reality of this theme.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Slightly OT but I was on a cruiseship recently visiting Alaska and there was a large "Amish" family on board too. I think they were probably Mennonites or one of the other fundie sects
    Actually, Amish and Mennonites aren't necessarily fundies. Many of their values (anti-war, compassion, taking care of the environment, and emphasis on higher education for the Mennonites) put them in line with liberals. Seems odd at first but it makes sense. I've actually worked with a surprising number of Mennonites and Quakers on liberal political issues.

A*O

By "fundie" I mean that they embrace a very fundamental, simple, no frills form of Christianity. It's difficult to believe sometimes but there are still quite a few Christians out there who aren't right wing GOP nutters.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i wouldn't put the quakers in with the amish and mennonites. if anything, just based on the gender issue, quakers are much more progressive. mennonites and the amish are way more traditional when it comes to women.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information