Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joyce Carol Oates

Default Joyce Carol Oates

This woman is a prolific writer and like S. King, because she writes so much, is a hit-and-miss author.

I'm reading The Falls now and it's fantastic, but it's maybe my 12th book by her. She's a favourite of mine, but certainly not all of her books have been good. I think I wanted to throw Them against a wall a few years ago.

What is her subject matter? I'm always looking for a new author.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

She writes about everythign under the sun.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Silver Member

I have the Falls at home and I havenot opened it, I read a first few pages and got bored. Is it worth reading, I see you liked but for some reason I have not picked it up again. I only read one other by her, her collection of short stories called Faithless, it was really good.

Elite Member

Did she write We Were the Mulvaneys? If so, I read that one. It was OK. Once when I was bored I tried reading some of the Oprah selections. They were all depressing.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg I luv her, her writing is so haunting and disturbs you rite down to the core! Very intense stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyesCryin View Post
    What is her subject matter? I'm always looking for a new author.

A newlywed couple begins their honeymoon at Niagara Falls in 1950 New York. The groom leaves the honeymoon suite at dawn, after their first night together, and throws himself into the Falls. This is where the story begins, Blue, and goes on to follow his widow as she goes on with her life. So much happens -- I can't spoil things for you. But we're talking dirt, scandal, murder.

You have to read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambie View Post
    I have the Falls at home and I havenot opened it, I read a first few pages and got bored. Is it worth reading, I see you liked but for some reason I have not picked it up again. I only read one other by her, her collection of short stories called Faithless, it was really good.

Rambie, did you buy it? You must've thought it was worth a try if you spent moolah on it

I've read a lot by Oates. Some is good, some is great, some makes me want to dig my eyes out. I think The Falls is her best so far.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Did she write We Were the Mulvaneys? If so, I read that one. It was OK. Once when I was bored I tried reading some of the Oprah selections. They were all depressing.

Oprah is a cunt with no imagination. She picks the same dull and dysfunctional shit over and over again and in the process gives every book she chooses a bad name.

And yes, Alice, Oates is haunting. She disturbs, I love it! What have you read by her?

Has anyone read the books she's written under the names Lauren Kelly and Rosamond Smith? They're thriller/mysteries.

I read a Joyce Carol Oates biography and that was really insightful. They discussed areas of Upstate (Buffalo)NY where she grew up and the events that influenced her writing. I haven't gotten through a full novel of hers but have read her short stories.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by iconophilia View Post
    Rambie, did you buy it? You must've thought it was worth a try if you spent moolah on it

I've read a lot by Oates. Some is good, some is great, some makes me want to dig my eyes out. I think The Falls is her best so far.
    Yes I bought it about a year ago and never read it now thanks to you I have started reading it again and yes I love it, I am still at the beginning though I am at the part where they just discovered her hubby's body. Thanks to you I rediscovered a book I had in my bookshelf that is wonderful!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Yes I've read several of her short stories since I just don't have time for novels but I would love to delve into "Blonde" when I get the chance (New years resolution I guess) and I absolutely am obsessed with southern grotesque works by Flannery O'Connor, another literary genius!!! and short stories and novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald as well - i guess i'd call his genre "Big City grotesque" or "Rich people Grotesque", genius nonetheless...

Quote Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
    I read a Joyce Carol Oates biography and that was really insightful. They discussed areas of Upstate (Buffalo)NY where she grew up and the events that influenced her writing. I haven't gotten through a full novel of hers but have read her short stories.
    Saimamom, I've read little bits about her life and it sounds like she's got some dark spots in her past, no? I love to read biographies, but have a habit of reading an author's work through the filter of their life once I've picked up a biography on 'em...so I try to avoid reading bios as long as I can.

But I love literary criticism and am looking for some good Oates stuff on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambie View Post
    Yes I bought it about a year ago and never read it now thanks to you I have started reading it again and yes I love it, I am still at the beginning though I am at the part where they just discovered her hubby's body. Thanks to you I rediscovered a book I had in my bookshelf that is wonderful!

Yahoooo! Rambie, I just finished the book last night and LOOOOOVED IT. Loved loved loved.

There's a point in the story where the focus seems to switch and I thought "WHAT?" But if you're easily thrown off like I am, don't let this bother you. Damn, I'm not saying any more. But I'm so thrilled you've rediscovered and are enjoying

Let's talk about it when you're done!!

Alice, I've always wanted to read Flannery O'Connor. What do you mean by grotesque? Is that part of the gothic literary tradition?

I'm very interested.

PS - I love William Faulkner, too. "A Rose for Emily" blew my brain outta my ears when I was in high school and it led me into reading his novels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information