Thread: Irish writer climbs aboard new Hitchhiker's Guide project

Default Irish writer climbs aboard new Hitchhiker's Guide project

I just saw this on the CBC news site and I hope it hasn't already been posted here.

I can't believe they're doing this. I'm a huge Douglas Adams fan.

Irish writer climbs aboard new Hitchhiker's Guide project

Don't panic. Seven years after the death of writer Douglas Adams, a new scribe has been hired to update his The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Irish children's writer Eoin Colfer, creator of the bestselling Artemis Fowl novels about a teenaged criminal mastermind, has been hired by Adams's publisher Penguin to create a sixth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series.

The Hitchhiker's Guide, a fictional travel book invented by Adams originally for a BBC radio series, whose cover bears the friendly words: "Don't panic."

The story follows a confused Englishman, Arthur Dent, who accidentally gets picked up as a hitchhiker on a space voyage and ends up turning to the Hitchhiker's Guide for advice.

His companions include guide contributor Ford Prefect, the twin-headed Zaphod Beeblebrox and Marvin the Paranoid Android, a depressed robot.

Adams adapted the series, which drew a cult following, into five books and a stage show and there was a recent movie adaptation.

Title already selected

Penguin approached Colfer to write a new book that will continue Arthur Dent's adventures, to be titled And Another Thing ....
    Colfer, 43, said he has admired Adams's work since he was young, calling it a "slice of satirical genius."

"My first reaction was semi-outrage that anyone should be allowed to tamper with this incredible series," he said in an interview with Reuters.

"But on reflection I realized that this is a wonderful opportunity to work with characters I have loved since childhood and give them something of my own voice while holding on to the spirit of Douglas Adams."

Colfer said he already has ideas about where the story will go.
    "Being given the chance to write this book is like suddenly being offered the superpower of your choice. For years I have been finishing this incredible story in my head and now I have the opportunity to do it in the real world."

Jane Belson, Adams's widow, has agreed to a continuation of the series and welcomed the choice of Colfer.

"I love his books and could not think of a better person to transport Arthur, Zaphod and Marvin to pastures new," she said. "The project has my full support."

About 16 million copies of the books The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe and Everything, So Long And Thanks For All the Fish and Mostly Harmless have been sold around the world, and they were translated into 35 languages.

Irish writer climbs aboard new Hitchhiker's Guide project
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Eoin Colfer is great though. He's got a great sense of humour and will probably do a good job with it.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Oh man, I hope so. I know that I'm going to end up reading it. I won't be able to help myself.

Maybe I should check out the Artemis Fowl books.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

It would be awesome to have some new additions to the series, but only if they were written by Adams, but of course that cannot happen. I haven't read anything by Colfer, so maybe he could pull off the tongue-in-cheek humor and satirical look at humanity the way Adams could, you never know. My first reaction, however, is blasphemy!!!
    "Bigfoot may well be an extraterrestrial because- remember Chewbacca?" - George Noory

^^^Hahahaha - total blasphemy, I agree.

On a side note, when I posted this way back, I suspected you'd weigh in on it at some point, given your user name, etc.!

Why do they need to do this? Just leave it be.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    ^^^Hahahaha - total blasphemy, I agree.

On a side note, when I posted this way back, I suspected you'd weigh in on it at some point, given your user name, etc.!

Hell yeah, been a HUGE fan of the series since high school!!
    "Bigfoot may well be an extraterrestrial because- remember Chewbacca?" - George Noory

Thread Information