Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody enjoy the Da Vinci Code?

Default Anybody enjoy the Da Vinci Code?

I just read The Da Vinci Code and I really, really enjoyed it. I don't read all the time so I'm not a literature expert but I try to read a good book occasionally. I was so into the book I finished it in one day and could not put it down. I would think so far this is the best book I have ever read. It could be because this type of story is my favorite. I love anything that deals with horror/thriller/conspiracy theories. My second favorite show of all time was the x-files. But what I loved most about the book is it really sparked my interest in religion and the arts. I have not taken any required humanities classes yet because I never had any interest in them because my love is science. I was holding off on those classes until the end but now I am actually excited about taking art and literature classes. I can't wait for the movie even though I know it will be nowhere as good as the book. Does anyone else here feel the same and are any of Dan Brown's other novels as good? Can anyone recommened any authors or books that would be similar to this one? Thanks.

Default Re: anybody enjoy the da vinci code?

I thought it was fine as a work of fiction, but you won't believe how many people have tried to get into fights with me about how the story is true. Dan Brown himself says it is a work of fiction, just something he thought might possibly have happened, but I have seen people almost willing to come to blows to say this is a true story! I haven't read any of Brown's other books, you might like Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which is non fiction and deals with a lot of the same stuff. I don't remember the author.
    Keep passing the open windows.

I enjoyed it a lot. The book is currently lent to a friend. Hopefully they will finish it before the movie opens. Hehe. I want to read it again.

Elite Member

I have just started reading "Angels & Demons" which is sort of a prequel to "Da Vinci" in that it features the Robert Langdon character. I began it to try and get me tired one night when I couldn't sleep -- big mistake -- I have a hard time putting it down. I haven't read "Da Vinci" yet, but will read it after this one.

Allan Follsom (I think that's how his name is spelled) writes books in the same vein (vast consipiracies) that I have enjoyed. Of course, I can't remember the names of the two I read -- I think one is the Day After Tomorrow (nothing to do with that weather movie). I zipped through them, they were really exciting and twisty-turvy.

I just checked Amazon -- It's Allan Folsom and the two I've read are "Day After Tomorrow" and "Day of Confession" He has some others I haven't yet read.

I loved Da Vinci Code when I read it. I couldn't put it down and finished it in about a weekend. Then I made the mistake of reading Angels and Demons. It made me like Dan Brown a lot less. I realized exactly how formulaic he is when he writes. The books are great separately, but reading both of them is hard. You can tell exactly what role any character that is introduced in Angels and Demons (or whichever you read second) will play and how it will affect the story/other characters. The stories were good though. Even though I disliked how formulaic they were, both stories were still interesting.

SVZ

Default Re: Anybody enjoy the Da Vinci Code?

I read all of his books to write an essay about using a set plot scheme to create accesible books

They literally are the same. But he does his research well and presents interesing facts and events that you never knew about which keep the reader interested. Predictable? Yes. Interesing? yes.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

hell yeah! the short chapters made it a really quick read and it was entertaining as well can't wait for the movie except for the fact that Tom Hanks makes a terrible Robert Langdon!

I read The DaVinci Code almost two years ago, so I remember the basic outline, but not the finer details. I've had Angels & Demons sitting on my bedside table in line to read for a while. I didn't realize Brown's writing was so formulaic, but hopefully, I can really enjoy it since it has been so long since I read TDC.

A*O

I read it a couple of years ago and it was a good 'holiday read' with some interesting ideas but I haven't bothered with any other Dan Brown stuff. There does not seem much point as I believe most is a re-hash of the original idea. Without giving anything away to those of you in Outer Mongolia who have not read it yet, I know most of the locations in Paris mentioned in the book, especially the church of St Sulpice which is a REALLY creepy place. I went there a long time before the book was even written and was struck by the sinister vibe there.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thanks for the suggestion guys and gals. I will get a hold of those books you've mentioned. I'm surprised some people really believe the story since this book is fiction right? Hmmmm. I just think it's a kick ass story.

It was ok. I really don't understand HOW anyone believed it to be real. Yes, I had relatives come to blows over this book. My Christian relatives and the Jewish ones. It was quite a rumble. A book never to be mentioned again at family gatherings.

I thought it was okay the first time I read it. It was intriguing to [the naive] me because I thought he had come up with a lot of the "out there" theories about Da Vinci and that sort of thing. It bothered me how everything seemed to turn out too perfectly (I can't really explain the feeling, but it kind of bothered me). But then I read it again and enjoyed it more, particularly because I was going to Paris soon (I was there while they were filming The Da Vinci Code movie!!!! But, alas, none of my fantasies about having Tom Hanks walk into a cafe at which I was dining came true )

Gold Member

I really enjoyed this book! Although, probably the worst thing about is that it struck my OCD nerve and I HAD to research the paintings and locations. One of the topics that I got sucked into specifically was the Rennes le Chateau and I couldn't tell you how many hours I wasted looking at DaVinci's paintings online. I think that's probably why so many people take the book as "fact". Dan Brown has done such in-depth research to make the story as believable as possible. It pulls you in, his style is very formulaic, you know the role of each character as soon as they are introduced, but I think that adds to the appeal. I read it the same time my husband listened to the book on tape. I'm a fast reader and not only is he a slow reader but a slow listener. I had to keep shut about plot twists and sequences and it drove me nuts! I'm looking forward to the movie, but I just can't picture Tom Hanks as the lead. Physically, I picture more a Harrison Ford, but I don't know that Harrison Ford would be the right actor for the role either. Hubby and I are having an ongoing discussion about that. Anyone else?

I enjoyed the book, read it in a couple of days because I couldn't put it down, but the end (50 last pages or so) really disappointed me. Things were falling into place much too easily, and the happy end was too cheesy. Otherwise, good rythm.
    Like A*O said, a good holiday read, but not what I would call litterature.

I won't go see the movie because I can't stand Tom Hanks.
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Silver Member

I loved TDC and have read the 3 others he has written. In my opinion they are all worth the read. I can't wait for the movie but not to sure about Tom Hanks starring in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information