Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Romance novels: anyone read them?

Default Romance novels: anyone read them?

Along with many other types of books I love romance novels. all types from spicy to mainstream.

My favorite mainstream authors are:

Julie Garwood
    J.R. Ward
    Linda Howard's older works

and many others.

anyone else?

Silver Member

Me too! Linda Howard is also among my faves, just slightly behind Suzanne Brockmann. I also like Tara Janzen, Christine Feehan (the Ghostwalker series), Cherry Adair, Cindy Gerard. There's a definite theme there.

J.R. Ward isn't available at the library so I haven't yet read any. I like to try out an author first so I don't waste my money on a book I'll never read again.

I used to LOVE Linda Howard but I find that her last several books just aren't doing it for me. I am now finding myself getting her books out of the library for the same reason.

If you like vampire stories with romance and humor then you might enjoy the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward.

Do you use e books? I discovered e books a few years ago and now I can't stand having paperbacks anymore.

I read alot of romance. My favorite authors are (in no particular order):

Nora Robert
    Judith McNaught
    Janet Evanovich
    Susan Elizabeth Philipps
    Jude Deveraux
    Karen Marie Moning
    Meg Cabot
    Julia Quinn
    Lynsay Sands and a bunch of others.

I tried reading J.R. Ward but I was never able to get into her books.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Gold Member

i never have, i think it might be fun though
    thanks for this thread, now we have recs

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    I read alot of romance. My favorite authors are (in no particular order):

Nora Robert
    Judith McNaught
    Janet Evanovich
    Susan Elizabeth Philipps
    Jude Deveraux
    Karen Marie Moning
    Meg Cabot
    Julia Quinn
    Lynsay Sands and a bunch of others.

I tried reading J.R. Ward but I was never able to get into her books.
    I have enjoyed Jude Deveraux's older works but not her recent ones.

I just finished Lynsay Sand's " The Accendental Vampire". It was good. I liked it.

I know alot of people who are into Karen Marie Moning but as many times as I tried her I just couldn't get into her.

Quote Originally Posted by radha View Post
    i never have, i think it might be fun though
    thanks for this thread, now we have recs
    you are welcome

question however: what are recs?
    Last edited by Tati; June 10th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.

Silver Member

I forgot to add Catherine Anderson & Elizabeth Lowell. I'm finding Catherine Anderson's COULTER series a bit repetitive but who doesn't love a good old-fashioned cowboy? And so far Elizabeth Lowell is getting better (some of her old works were crap!).

I agree that Linda Howard's newer stuff isn't as good as her older stuff (just read the older Mr Perfect - omg loved it!). Her one new character who she's written at least two books about, gym owner / cop boyfriend, hated her so much I avoided the sequel.

I've only downloaded one e-book. In general they don't appeal because I already spend more than enough time in front of the computer. When I read I like to curl up somewhere comfy. Maybe when Amazon makes Kindles for Canadians (and cuts the price at least in half) I'll look into e-books again. I'd love to get one as I've already run out of bookshelves!

Quote Originally Posted by viggofan View Post
    I have enjoyed Jude Deveraux's older works but not her recent ones.

I just finished Lynsay Sand's " The Accendental Vampire". It was good. I liked it.

I know alot of people who are into Karen Marie Moning but as many times as I tried her I just couldn't get into her.
    Ditto on the Jude Deveraux books. Her recent work just isn't the same. Nora Roberts has been disappointing me also for the past few years.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    I forgot to add Catherine Anderson & Elizabeth Lowell. I'm finding Catherine Anderson's COULTER series a bit repetitive but who doesn't love a good old-fashioned cowboy? And so far Elizabeth Lowell is getting better (some of her old works were crap!).

I agree that Linda Howard's newer stuff isn't as good as her older stuff (just read the older Mr Perfect - omg loved it!). Her one new character who she's written at least two books about, gym owner / cop boyfriend, hated her so much I avoided the sequel.

I've only downloaded one e-book. In general they don't appeal because I already spend more than enough time in front of the computer. When I read I like to curl up somewhere comfy. Maybe when Amazon makes Kindles for Canadians (and cuts the price at least in half) I'll look into e-books again. I'd love to get one as I've already run out of bookshelves!
    I JUST finished my first Catherine Anderson book called " Baby Love". I really liked it but wasn't all that impressed with Phantom Waltz. I was so looking forward to that book too. I was told to read My Sunshine as it was a really good book from that series as well.

As for Linda Howard.... I adored Mr. Perfect and all those book from around that time. Dream Man was also fantastic.

I found that reading ebooks on my palm pilot is the best way for me now. I couldn't stand all those paperbooks that I had accummulated. I now purchase the book and download it onto my computer and from there when I want onto my palm pilot. Great for doctor's offices, planes, etc for me anyway. I know not everyone likes ebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Ditto on the Jude Deveraux books. Her recent work just isn't the same. Nora Roberts has been disappointing me also for the past few years.
    I loved her older Mongomery series.
    Last edited by Tati; June 10th, 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Bronze Member

Nora Roberts also writes under the name J. D. Robb, the name of the book is Origin In Death.

When I was a teen, I used to read the romance novels on the bookshelf after the kids went to bed. It was honestly the only thing that kept me awake.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

I do like to read a good steamy romance novel from time to time. They take me away from the stress and bullshit that gets to me sometimes. My favorites are:

*Christine Feehan
    *Sherrilyn Kenyon
    *Maggie Shayne
    *Shannon Drake/Heather Graham
    *Nora Roberts/JD Robb
    *Sandra Brown

Bronze Member

I do to, I also like Sandra Brown.

I am one of those few people (apparently considering her popularity) that never go into Nora Roberts.

I did finish Baby Love by Catherine Anderson recently and really enjoyed it.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I only read them when stuck in a psych ward and really seeking escapism!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information