Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer

Eli

Default 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer

I bought Twilight back in November having no idea what it was about, when I picked up Interview with the Vampire (coincidence!). I just liked the cover.
    It was under my bed with a few socks on top of it until 11pm yesterday.
    I picked it up and out of a whim, because it was a balmy night, I sat in the lounge next to the open window and started it... and I have not stopped except to rush onto the Internet right now to chatter excitedly about it.
    Most addictive start to a book ever! I am up to page 50 I believe, right at chapter 4 (after she comes home from hospital).
    This is so insanely awesome! It's so hard to explain the nature of the book, too. Like, you could say it's a vampire book, but that's doing it a disservice. I'm not a HUGE fan of vampire stories, actually hardly at all, but this is like The OC meets a vampire story. And the narrating is superb. There hasn't been one page that hasn't kept me intrigued.
    Of course this could have something to do with the casting in my mind.
    I have Kristen Stewart as Bella, obviously because she'll be playing her in the movie.
    I have Cedric from Harry Potter as Edward, because the same as above.
    I have the hot dad Rufus from Gossip Girl as Charlie.
    Renee Zellwegger as Bella's mum for some reason.
    I have that dorky trumbone player from Picket Fences as Eric (I saw him as an older kid in Gilmore Girls).
    Some black dorky girl from Degrassi as Jessica.
    Phillip Glasser as Mike.
    And Jason Bateman as Dr. Cullen for some reason.
    It's so weird that I know all of their names already! I only started a few hours ago! I am so excited to see where this is going. And I'm so excited to have a book I'm invested in. Last one was Bridge to Terabithia last year and as good as that was it was awfully short. I love reading but I'm a perfectionist, if something doesn't grab me right away or if I'm not interested in the storyline/settings, I just won't read it. This book has turned my reading habits upside down in the course of a few hours.
    I also didn't know that a movie was coming out until midnight tonight (when I went hunting for it). What a coincidence again.
    What else was I going to say? Oh, I have much more. One thing I'd like to point out is how relateable Bella is. I can totally see Kristen Stewart as her as well, with her reserved angst. I loved the scenes with Bella and Edward at first, how she was completely gobsmacked at how he stared at her, and the rumours that he hated her for no reason, and I just loved it all. It was great because I know they get together at some point, it topped anything from a teen drama, and you know how I love those. Basically, those Biology scenes topped anything that Seth and Summer did in The OC. I also 'squeed' a few times, right there on the shag carpet, and my fiance looked at me with concern, lol. Especially when Edward first spoke. I was rooting for Bella like there was no tomorrow. And it was so well done! He was like "Hello?" in a sing-song voice, and her heart jolted and she looked up in total surprise. I can relate because I met my fiance in high school, although we didn't go out then, years later we did, but we had our moments there and so I sort of knew how Bella felt.
    As for the supernatural twist, well, the more the better. If the author (Stephanie Meyer?) can manage to keep this routine of US teen drama going at the hefty pace it's going, I can manage with the supernatural elements by the bag-full.

I guess what I'm saying with this overly long and excited post is that I hope a lot of people who don't read often give this book a go. I know it's a bestseller but I'd never heard of it until recently and I'd wager the same goes for most Aussies. Anyone who's a fan of vampires and teen dramas on TV then go for it!!

*calms down*

Sorry, it's just so rare. I mean a book. That I like. The idea.

I love it!!

My daughter loves this book. She freaked out today when she realized that she left it at school. They're making a movie out of it.

Eli

I know!! So excited
    Can you believe this, I bought Eclipse today (3rd book). The 2nd book, New Moon, is not available... in Victoria. Only in Australia would a book not be available in an entire state.
    There will be stock in March apparently. But I spent 50 dollars on the next book on Amazon. I don't care. I need it!!
    Something about this series is like heroine. I don't know what it is, but by your daughter's obsession it looks like I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I know!! So excited
    Can you believe this, I bought Eclipse today (3rd book). The 2nd book, New Moon, is not available... in Victoria. Only in Australia would a book not be available in an entire state.
    There will be stock in March apparently. But I spent 50 dollars on the next book on Amazon. I don't care. I need it!!
    Something about this series is like heroine. I don't know what it is, but by your daughter's obsession it looks like I'm not alone.
    She's going out to buy the second book today. She read that the guy who played young Hannibal in Hannibal Rising, a French actor, sorry I can't remember his name, was rumored to play Edward. According to her, he would have been perfect. I guess I'll have to read it before the movie comes out!

Eli

Oh you know I heard that too. I need to see that Hannibal movie. But the guy who played Cedric in the Harry Potter films is playing Edward. Envisaging him has made me crush on him. I actually used to think he was gross before that.

Eli

I made a desktop of Twilight because I like my photoshopping!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/alastair_palastair/togetherwero ck-1.png

Very cool.

One of my daughter's sig lines is "Only a Vampire can love you forever." She is so obsessed she want to move to Forks Washington.

The guy who played Cedric is a good choice too. But there really is something otherworldy about the guy in Hannibal Rising. It was a good movie.

Eli

Eh, I saw him. I guess if I had pictured him as Edward I might have warmed to him.
    But I love Robert P now. He creeped me out until I read this. I think I already mentioned this though.

Eh, say you? Is this not beautiful? Great actor too!

I hope it turns out to be a good movie.

Eli

See, Edward's supposed to look dangerous and older than seventeen. That boy looks like a boy and a naive boy at that. Though I suppose he could... nah, he's too beautiful for Edward.

Just my demented opinion of course!

Allie,

I read this book a few months back, after it was recommended to me. I anticipated more... It had such a great start and then through the middle I found myself less interested. I hate when that happens.
    I'm not sure who his playing Edward in the movie but if they cast some average Joe, it will majorly suck. Because the way he is described in the book was seriously getting me all hot and bothered. LOL. And the sexual tension between him and Bella was great
    I will prob read the next book in the series but I don't know.. I was expecting a little more....

Wait...whoa. I just saw pics of the guy supposed to be playing Edward... WRONG. Miscast. He is too...something. Not right at all. He is attractive but Edward should be more... makes your panties wet in one second. Nawmean? LOL.

Eli

Wait until you see him.
    He's the only one who I've seen as Edward and it's turned Pattinson from "eurgh" to "ohhhh" in my books. (He looks sleazy in real life).

cmmdee, I love how you explained that it was getting you all hot. Same! Especially that scene in the sunlight in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn't at work I'd have screamed "Holy hell will you just fuck already!!"

I agree the middle was too much of them talking about their love. A little snoozish, but the ending was better (still, James didn't get much of a fight did he?) and I'll always remember the addictiveness of the first 102 pages. No words. Never come across that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    cmmdee, I love how you explained that it was getting you all hot. Same! Especially that scene in the sunlight in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn't at work I'd have screamed "Holy hell will you just fuck already!!"
    No, seriously. I had the same reaction. I would be reading and aloud, I would say, OH JUST DO IT ALREADY! WILL YOU JUSSSSST KISS OR SCRUMP OR SOMETHING! BAH!!!!!!!! Especially when he was lying on her in the "library" or whatever room it was. I felt like I was Bella and the tension was KEEEEEEEEEELING me. I texted my hub and was like, Oh, you are SO getting it tonight. LOL. Tee hee. Glad you could relate!

Eli

^^ That's hilarious, more so coz it only happened to me a week or so ago!
    I thought the best part was at the start with the way he first spoke to her, how she was so surprised because rumour was he hated her. I was like "oh, this is like one of those teen dramas I love".

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information