Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J.K. Rowling outs Hogwarts character

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default J.K. Rowling outs Hogwarts character

NEW YORK - Harry Potter fans, the rumors are true: Albus Dumbledore, master wizard and Headmaster of Hogwarts, is gay. J.K. Rowling, author of the mega-selling fantasy series that ended last summer, outed the beloved character Friday night while appearing before a full house at Carnegie Hall.

After reading briefly from the final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," she took questions from audience members.

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love".

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."
    "Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

Potter readers on fan sites and elsewhere on the Internet have speculated on the sexuality of Dumbledore, noting that he has no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past. And explicit scenes with Dumbledore already have appeared in fan fiction.

Rowling told the audience that while working on the planned sixth Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," she spotted a reference in the script to a girl who once was of interest to Dumbledore. A note was duly passed to director David Yates, revealing the truth about her character.

Rowling, finishing a brief "Open Book Tour" of the United States, her first tour here since 2000, also said that she regarded her Potter books as a "prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority."

Not everyone likes her work, Rowling said, likely referring to Christian groups that have alleged the books promote witchcraft. Her news about Dumbledore, she said, will give them one more reason.

J.K. Rowling outs Hogwarts character - Yahoo! News

I thought that Horace dude in book six was gay, but Dumbledore is a surprise. I just thought of him as asexual. Go, JK!
    The Gen X Eurotrash Jetsetters Club:
    A place for internationally minded celebrity haterz to come together in peace and harmony

Thought provoking yet, oddly, not surprising.
    I child-proofed my house but they keep getting back in!

wait til the fundies hear about this!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Funny. I never ever thought once of a fictional characters sexual preferance cuz it doesn't matter.

This is so goddamn AWESOME!

I can't wait till the religious groups pitch a fit, it'll be glorious. I am always endlessly amused by their insane, crazy hate.

Witchcraft and homosexuality, ahahahahhha. I love you JK.

The most surprising part is that he would want Grindelwald with Snape around.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by SecretHeart86 View Post
    I can't wait till the religious groups pitch a fit, it'll be glorious. I am always endlessly amused by their insane, crazy hate.
    That amuses me.
    I know what you mean! They're insaaane! I mean hasn't Bridge to Terabithia taught them anything?

It's funny, I never really thought of DD as a sexual creature, but of course he is human despite his magical abilities. So were he and that other guy who he killed getting it on at any time in history, or was the atrraction only one way?

Yay, a gay to idolise in the literature industry! Of all people... I really thought Neville was hot for HP.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    The most surprising part is that he would want Grindelwald with Snape around.
    Seriously. Grindelwald better be played by someone hot.

And Neville belongs with Luna.

This is one that doesn't surprise me...I think I may have picked up a little on the undertones in the last book. The way their friendship started/ended WAS quite romantic.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    That amuses me.

It's funny, I never really thought of DD as a sexual creature, but of course he is human despite his magical abilities. So were he and that other guy who he killed getting it on at any time in history, or was the atrraction only one way?
    Dumbledore didn't kill Grindelwald. He defeated him in a duel but Grindelwald ended up in prison afterwards where he truly repented and all that.

It could be inferred that back when they were in Dumbledore's house planning world wizard domination they were also screwing like monkeys.. At least that's what I inferred in Deathly Hallows even without confirmation from Rowling that Dumbledore is gay.

I guess something had to explain the flamboyant robes. I wonder whether Gambon will adjust his performance in the next movies.

Default JK Rowling at Carnegie Hall in New York: Dumbledore is Gay, Loved Grindelwald

JK Rowling: Harry Potter Headmaster Dumbledore Gay, Loved Grindelwald
    by Staff

Harry Potter author JK Rowling has shocked fans of the boy-wizard series by "outing" character Albus Dumbledore as gay.
    The writer revealed the truth of the Hogwarts headmaster's sexuality at New York's Carnegie Hall on Friday (19Oct07) as part of her American book tour.
    When asked by an audience member if Dumbledore had found "true love", she replied, "Dumbledore is gay," adding he was in love with his rival Gellert Grindelwald, who he once beat in a battle between good and bad wizards long ago.
    She says, "Falling in love can blind us to an extent. (Dumbledore was) horribly, terribly let down". (c) WENN

wtf???

Quote Originally Posted by Bijoux View Post
    wtf???
    that's what I was thinking....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Bijoux View Post
    wtf???
    it makes perfect sense really.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information